We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Degeneration of Language

Do you have a dumb political opinion? Do you want other people to know about your dumb political opinion? Look no further!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

The Degeneration of Language

Post by WhiteShark »

IRC wrote:
<WhiteShark> so you would say that a language which takes a million words to convey a simple concept is as good as one that takes one word
<Humbaba> I would make no judgement on the matter, because I don't think languages get "better" or worse because I'm not a Darwinist
Thread for discussing how languages have gotten worse. Let us agree that the primary purpose of language is communication of information and that any change which works against this purpose is a degeneration. We'll start with some English ones, but examples from other languages are welcome. Grammar and vocabulary are both on topic.
  • The disappearance of thou
English once had the second-person singular pronoun thou and the second-person plural pronoun you. This made distinguishing the singular and the plural very simple. With the disappearance of thou, the number of you became uncertain and the second-person plural was reinvented in the forms you guys/you all/y'all. Of course, those doesn't make you by itself any less uncertain, so its number can only be judged by context.
  • The disappearance of yon
Yon is a demonstrative pronoun indicating an entity distant from both speaker and listener, as opposed to this, which indicates one near to the speaker, and that, which indicates one near to the listener. This third distinction is present in many other languages but no longer in English. Whither, whence, hither, hence, thither, thence, yond, yonder. What a great loss this was. They sound so nice, and in the case of the 'from' column, they save a syllable to boot. For some reason there never appears to have been a yonce, leaving the 'from yond' spot in the chart sadly blank.
  • The near disappearance of the subjunctive mood
Modern speakers cannot understand the grammar behind phrases like 'come what may' and 'God save the king' because they are wholly unaware of the subjunctive mood. To our ears they sound like imperatives, but they are actually expressions of hypotheticals. The latter is a subclass of the subjunctive mood called the optative, which expresses a hope or desire. Of course, even at the everyday level, the change can be observed in the replacement of were I/if I were with if I was. The former ought be used when the topic is unreal, the latter if it may have actually been so. In my experience this distinction is unobserved by many, perhaps most, English speakers.

And one for Japanese.
  • The disappearance of the past-tense suffixes
In classical Japanese there were verb endings ki and keri, indicating personally witnessed past tense and secondhand information past tense respectively. These have been replaced by the ending ta, an abbreviation of taru, which originally meant the present perfect. Though the meaning is generally clear in context, there is technically no way in modern Japanese to express a pure past tense; this is evidenced by the fact that verbs ending in ta, when used to modify a noun, indicate that the noun is presently affected by the result of the modifying verb. As a side effect, modern Japanese frequently fail to grasp the proper usage of ki/keri and thus use them in places where taru were more appropriate.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What's being a darwinist have to do with language degenerating into muffled grunts and muh dick?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

maidenhaver wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:05
What's being a darwinist have to do with language degenerating into muffled grunts and muh dick?
Humbaba short-circuited because in IRC I called the process 'devolution', triggering him to sperg out about Darwin and babble inanely about how languages becoming worse at communicating information doesn't make them worse.
Last edited by WhiteShark on October 20th, 2023, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

My biggest frustration is that there's not enough words for family members.

>When somebody says "my family", are they referring to their parents and siblings, or to their spouse and children?
>There's no word for both nieces and nephews? And no I'm not going to say "nibling".
>There's no word to distinguish between my blood nieces and nephews and my nieces and nephews by marriage. Same for aunts and uncles.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Emphyrio wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:21
>There's no word for both nieces and nephews? And no I'm not going to say "nibling".
Oh boy, do I feel this one. It was easy when I only had nieces, but once my nephew was born it became really annoying to talk about them as a unit.
Emphyrio wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:21
>There's no word to distinguish between my blood nieces and nephews and my nieces and nephews by marriage. Same for aunts and uncles.
I think you could append step/in-law and people would get it.
Last edited by WhiteShark on October 20th, 2023, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Midwit so mad he made a thread about it lel fr.
WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:09
maidenhaver wrote: ↑52 minutes ago
Humbaba short-circuited because in IRC I called the process 'devolution', triggering him to sperg out about Darwin and babble inanely about how languages becoming worse at communicating information doesn't make them worse.
Holy damn, your midwit brain is so utterly incapable of using and applying ideas and concepts outside of their usual appliance that you seriously think I'm the one who short circuited.

Presupposing that things get worse or better with time or energy respectively is a Darwinist framework, as is presupposing that a quality hierarchy exists in the first place. Modern normies like yourselves don't even realize it anymore, since Darwinist thinking has been so engrained into western culture over the last 2 centuries. Instead, you people just think that "this is how it works". It doesn't btw. Calling something like a language "better" or "worse" based on your own arbitrary criteria is no robust let alone objective base of argumentation.

WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:03
Let us agree that the primary purpose of language is communication of information and that any change which works against this purpose is a degeneration.
Your opening statement is already loaded with a Darwinist framework, so I will not agree on anything of the sort. Besides, none of the changes you listed work against the purposes of communication. If you actually wanna speak objectively, then all those changes did is CHANGE the way information is communicated and nothing else. Whether or not it is a better or worse way is up to subjective judgement.

EDIT: Dumbass.
Last edited by Humbaba on October 20th, 2023, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Humbaba wrote: October 20th, 2023, 17:11
Presupposing that things get worse or better with time or energy respectively is a Darwinist framework
It's not a presupposition. It's historical fact that languages have become less nuanced and less efficient at conveying information. This is an observable and universal trend.
as is presupposing that a quality hierarchy exists in the first place
If there be a class of tools meant to serve a particular purpose and said tools be not identical, then some will necessarily be better than others. While it is possible that one tool could be better in some ways and worse in others compared to another, it is also possible that it could be better in every way. To reject a hierarchy of quality is tantamount to rejecting that there is a purpose. Language has a clear and obvious purpose and it were absurd to pretend there isn't.
Calling something like a language "better" or "worse" based on your own arbitrary criteria is no robust let alone objective base of argumentation.
Saying that language exists for the purpose of communication is about as far from arbitrary as one can get.
Besides, none of the changes you listed work against the purposes of communication. If you actually wanna speak objectively, then all those changes did is CHANGE the way information is communicated and nothing else. Whether or not it is a better or worse way is up to subjective judgement.
Changes that reduce specificity are worse for communication. Requiring more words to say less is objectively worse. 'Change' isn't neutral.
You're the one who went full retard and wrote the astoundingly stupid line I quoted in the OP. "T-they're just different!" Cope.
Last edited by WhiteShark on October 20th, 2023, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 17:42
It's not a presupposition. It's historical fact that languages have become less nuanced and less efficient at conveying information. This is an observable and universal trend.
No it isn't. /argument

Not reading the rest of what you posted.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 16:03
<WhiteShark> so you would say that a language which takes a million words to convey a simple concept is as good as one that takes one word
Giant conlang nerd here. This is actually a very complicated issue. There is a conlang that is basically the opposite of this. You could convey 20 ideas with a single word. It's so complex as to be basically unusable by humans though.

Really though, we should all just be speaking Lojban. It's probably the best language. It sounds awful to the ear though.

On a semi-related note, I hate that English doesn't have different words for romantic love and familial love. I feel like my lovelife as a teenager would have been a lot better and easier if it did.

edit:
WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 17:42
I haven't researched this myself, but could it be possible that languages are just getting more context sensitive? A lot of people like to complain that Japanese is too vague, but really they are just English speakers who aren't used to context sensitive languages.
Last edited by GhostCow on October 20th, 2023, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

GhostCow wrote: October 20th, 2023, 18:52
I haven't researched this myself, but could it be possible that languages are just getting more context sensitive? A lot of people like to complain that Japanese is too vague, but really they are just English speakers who aren't used to context sensitive languages.
Becoming more context-sensitive is the same thing as becoming less specific and therefore less good at conveying information. I've heard before that it is a very good thing for biblical scholarship that Koine Greek was used for the original texts because it could be so specific with its grammar and inflections that even if you had only a fragment of a sentence, you could still understand exactly what each word was doing in the sentence.

And yes, frankly, Japanese is too context-sensitive. It's fun for wordplay but bad for communication. It also has a significantly lower rate of information transfer than other languages:

Table taken from here: http://www.ddl.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltex ... nguage.pdf
Last edited by WhiteShark on October 20th, 2023, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

On a semi-related note, I hate that English doesn't have different words for romantic love and familial love. I feel like my lovelife as a teenager would have been a lot better and easier if it did.
all non-romantic love is gay unless it's love of God then it's agape.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 20th, 2023, 19:24
No, this is exactly the problem GhostCow was talking about. The gay agenda has made it difficult for many to talk about and even think about brotherly love because they deliberately confuse it with eros.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: October 20th, 2023, 19:40
No, this is exactly the problem GhostCow was talking about. The gay agenda has made it difficult for many to talk about and even think about brotherly love because they deliberately confuse it with eros.
Greeks were a bunch of homos who came up with a word to speak coyly about their willingness to fuck boys. English doesn't need another one of those fag words.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Do you have parents or children?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Bro, might wanna delete this. You forgot to log in as Benefactor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: October 20th, 2023, 19:57
Do you have parents or children?
Also agape.
ἵνα ὁ ἀγαπῶν τὸν Θεὸν ἀγαπᾷ καὶ τὸν ἀδελφὸν αὐτοῦ.
H-H-Holmes

Post by H-H-Holmes »

This problem existed long before globohomo became pervasive and I think it's more to do with an inherent phobia of intimacy among Anglos.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I more brought up that point because there were a lot of times as a kid where a girl who say "I love you" to me and I didn't know which way they meant it. I always assumed it was the friendly way, and often found out later that I was wrong. Too late to do anything about it of course.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I wonder what the racial makeup of these schools is.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

Gregz wrote: October 21st, 2023, 00:15
I hate niggerspeak
What if groids say "naamsayin" so much because their small vocabulary doesn't allow them to clearly say what they mean, so they constantly have to keep checking are they getting it across?
H-H-Holmes

Post by H-H-Holmes »

Naamsayin is three syllables, that's reserved for the ghetto scholars. Most of them say "nameen".
Decline

Post by Decline »

Presupposing that things get worse or better with time or energy respectively is a Darwinist framework, as is presupposing that a quality hierarchy exists in the first place.
That's not specific to darwinism, 'muh calidy pieramit' is a general modernist/progressive concept.

That being said, it is possible to analyze a language with respect to information efficiency over time. It's also very autistic.
Last edited by Decline on October 21st, 2023, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 20th, 2023, 19:41

Greeks were a bunch of homos who came up with a word to speak coyly about their willingness to fuck boys. English doesn't need another one of those fag words.
That the Greeks were fond child diddlers is just more globohomo propaganda. In reality if you diddled a child in ancient Greece you were hung from a tree, as is customary in such cases in civilized countries.