We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 02:48
If you play as anything but earth born sole survivor soldier you suck eggs btw
Ruthless is better because it involves you slaughtering batarians.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

No way, being the Spacer (why would anyone choose to be a thug?) War Hero is the best, and Soldier is the worst and most boring class in all three games.

Edit: Though, ruthless is my second favorite for the reason Oyster gave. War Hero is basically the "ethical" version of it, lol.
Last edited by Envergence on April 3rd, 2024, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Envergence wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 03:18
why would anyone choose to be a thug?

Last edited by Vergil on April 3rd, 2024, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 02:48
I always pick the default if the game offers it because I assume that's how the game was meant to be played
always this, only problem is nowadays they make blaxx activist the default so u have to watch out for it.

always male human fighter. in everything. Cope and seethe, Swen.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Looking back at my old saves, my first game I played Earthborn / War Hero, but despite wanting to be born on Earth, I didn't really like the "gang" background, so I then switched to Spacer / War Hero. And went Vanguard for the class.
Usually Paragon, but a healthy dose of Renegade choices when the situation called for it. (I guess Neutral Good in D&D terms.)

I never play with the default anything as I like to customise, and the default is usually a bit boring and purely what the devs want you to play. In RPGs I like crafting my own role.
Last edited by BobT on April 3rd, 2024, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

Spacer Ruthless Infiltrator.

Shepard is neither a gangbanger or a grunt. He’s likely some kind of tech expert given all of the little hacking and hacking-adjacent minigames he does in 2 and the little hacking animation he does on doors in 3.

He is certainly not a ‘Sole Survivor’ - if they’re looking for The First Human Spectre, they won’t be looking for someone who just survived. War Hero or Ruthless all the way. Colonist if you want an excuse to be racist.
BLofbr

Post by BLofbr »

i tried ME:Andromeda i have memories of it being gay, the style of action was kinda cool and graphics and enviroment but rest is awful, i think it was around here and with dragon age inqusition they implement the gay, maybe 3rd game with the latino steroid man.

ME 3 ending sucked bawls, m1 and m2 was nice, Biowares shitty writing started in M3.
Last edited by BLofbr on April 3rd, 2024, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Now that the dust has settled, what was their end game here?
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

Control the Citadel for reasons Cerberus aren't privy to in the story yet? IIRC, they couldn't have known at this point that the Citadel is the Catalyst to further Illusive Man's retarded scheme.

Everything involving Cerberus was so stupid in ME3. Every time I think about the game's weak points (of which there are many), I get mad, lol.
Reichspepe

Post by Reichspepe »

TheEmptyRoad wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 13:19
Spacer Ruthless Infiltrator.

Shepard is neither a gangbanger or a grunt. He’s likely some kind of tech expert given all of the little hacking and hacking-adjacent minigames he does in 2 and the little hacking animation he does on doors in 3.

He is certainly not a ‘Sole Survivor’ - if they’re looking for The First Human Spectre, they won’t be looking for someone who just survived. War Hero or Ruthless all the way. Colonist if you want an excuse to be racist.
I don't get it. Why would I need an excuse to be racist? :?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Envergence wrote: April 4th, 2024, 05:22
Control the Citadel for reasons Cerberus aren't privy to in the story yet? IIRC, they couldn't have known at this point that the Citadel is the Catalyst to further Illusive Man's retarded scheme.

Everything involving Cerberus was so stupid in ME3. Every time I think about the game's weak points (of which there are many), I get mad, lol.
More specifically why have an entite squad and mech dropped off on a balcony that seems fo have no exits :lol:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 13:12
Envergence wrote: April 4th, 2024, 05:22

More specifically why have an entite squad and mech dropped off on a balcony that seems fo have no exits :lol:
They have the high ground
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Remember when it took basically the entire geth army and a reaper to take the Citadel for a few hours and then Cerberus does it effortlessly in the middle of a conflict that has the Citadel on high alert?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 13:27
Remember when it took basically the entire geth army and a reaper to take the Citadel for a few hours and then Cerberus does it effortlessly in the middle of a conflict that has the Citadel on high alert?
cerberus = lots of money
geth = no money

checkmate idiot
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

It is kind of funny being able to see how a shitlibs brain works when you see their writing. They really do believe any problem can be solved by just throwing money at it. Cerberus used their gorillion space dollars to make war ships, armor, mechs, and new soldiers appear out of thin air. Very secretive clandestine organization btw
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 13:48
It is kind of funny being able to see how a shitlibs brain works when you see their writing. They really do believe any problem can be solved by just throwing money at it. Cerberus used their gorillion space dollars to make war ships, armor, mechs, and new soldiers appear out of thin air. Very secretive clandestine organization btw
Yeah the writing in 2 and 3 is particularly egregious.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 13:12
Cerberus do conveniently have jetpacks in 3, but now that you mention it, how was anyone supposed to access those parking balconies? We're probably supposed to imagine the exits are just off-screen, but just looking at those balconies and how tightly packed they are, they wouldn't even be functional for parking. No exit, no room to walk around the vehicles after parking—purely decorative? What were the reapers thinking?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Irenaeus wrote: April 4th, 2024, 14:13
Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 13:48
Yeah the writing in 2 and 3 is particularly egregious.
Cerberus worked so much better as an actually clandestine entity with spies, small decentralized cells and sympathetic military officials in the Alliance who were influencing policy and diverting bits of resources here and there for secret projects. Somehow they're a literal terrorist organization that manages to have the industry to field an entire military to rival the actual military but no one is able to trace where the trillions of credits worth of materials and manpower to build all this shit is going.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

ME2 is likely the point where they hired on an abundance of retarded writers. The more I have to turn my brain off to consume the media, the less I enjoy it.

It cost 4 billion credits to rebuild Shepard. It likely cost twice as much as the SR1 to build the Normandy SR2 (Rear Admiral Mikhailovich said it cost 120 billion credits for the SR1's drive core alone). I guess we're also supposed to imagine there was a plant present when the original Normandy was being built in order for Cerberus to get their hands on the blueprint in the first place. Cerberus could only have untraceable resources if it was funneled in small quantities, but to have so much at any given time would mean they have millions if not billions of plants frequently funding them. Otherwise, it would take ages for them to build the funding they have in 2 and 3. Given that Cerberus is a human-only organization, it's a lot easier for me to believe the Shadow Broker has this kind of set up and influence than them. Maybe we're supposed to believe they're buying off or strongarming everyone who investigates their funding.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I always had the implication that every part of the alliance was infiltrated by cerberus plants.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Also in ME3 they show that Cerberus frequently executes their double agents and informants the moment they no longer become actively useful lol. Very efficient and smart intelligence apparatus.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 19:41
Also in ME3 they show that Cerberus frequently executes their double agents and informants the moment they no longer become actively useful lol. Very efficient and smart intelligence apparatus.
Illusive Man was indoctrinated by this point
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 4th, 2024, 19:31
I always had the implication that every part of the alliance was infiltrated by cerberus plants.
I can easily believe this, since I believe it's established that Cerberus were Alliance black ops IIRC. Amusingly enough, the Shadow Broker has plants in Cerberus. Mysterious plants everywhere, convenient for moving plots forward or drama or something.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 4th, 2024, 19:44
So once again Mass Effect 3's plot relies on "and then X character became a retard".
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 4th, 2024, 19:46
So once again Mass Effect 3's plot relies on "and then X character became a retard".
So… like ME1?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 4th, 2024, 19:49

So… like ME1?
Despite being an anti-human extremist under the effects of indoctrination Saren never does anything retarded and completely out of character like destroying his own useful assets just because "mind control lol". Indoctrination is a subtle manipulation in ME1 whereas in ME3 the Illusive Man just starts having Cerberus mass genocide humans in every other encounter you have with them for basically no reason which runs counter to his actual goal.
Last edited by Vergil on April 4th, 2024, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

So… like ME1?
ME1 is relatively low on the "make character retarded because plot" compared to the other games. The biggest example in ME1 is the council, but ME1 is the game they're most justified in their beliefs considering the writing for Shepard's responses in the trial against Saren was very amateurish. Everything else in the game is much more grounded as a whole.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 7th, 2024, 01:57

So… like ME1?
ME1 is relatively low on the "make character retarded because plot" compared to the other games. The biggest example in ME1 is the council, but ME1 is the game they're most justified in their beliefs considering the writing for Shepard's responses in the trial against Saren was very amateurish. Everything else in the game is much more grounded as a whole.
so basically ME1's council is justified because Shepard "became a retard for plot reasons".
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

wndrbr wrote: April 7th, 2024, 02:53
BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 7th, 2024, 01:57
so basically ME1's council is justified because Shepard "became a retard for plot reasons".
No you see, its the first time Shepard has ever been in a game so he doesn't "become a retard" he just is canonically a retard. This makes the council's decision to not trust him make sense if everyone knows he's a retard so no one pays any attention to what he says.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

i couldnt finish second one. the gamplay was awful. like they took shit on previous lore with those colling clips or whatever to make it like generic cover shooter. felt way more consolish and clunky than first one.