We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 04:42
Read the wiki page and it seems like they're an even greater threat to humanity than the reapers or curing the genophage. There isn't even an option to take them out?
Still not sure how ME4 is supposed to work
They really aren't. Yes, the Leviathans have massive egos and view themselves as supreme lifeforms but when they were in power they basically demanded worship and tributes, otherwise they left the galaxy unmolested.

The were very, very hands-off about their whole ruling existence deal. That's why they built the Catalyst in the first place: Their worshippers advanced by themselves and then wiped themselves out after inventing AI, with the Leviathans being either unwilling or unable to micromanage creation and prevent that from happening.

Also their species now has so few members they likely couldn't be threat even if they wanted to be.

Edit: Also you seem to assume that ME4 has competent enough writers to spot these potential plot problems. They could just declare the DLC non-canon rather than deal with it.
Last edited by SoLong on March 31st, 2024, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

They're more likely to pull some other super deadly secret species who will destroy everything with vaguely defined super weapons than anything foreshadowed in a previous game.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2024, 15:00
Shillitron wrote: March 29th, 2024, 13:02
This is why people shouldn't take rusty's opinions on games seriously.
Anyone who likes ME2 is a woman. It's easily the worst of the three, the entire game is just interpersonal drama.
See, maybe I wasn't paying attention to the story as much, but If I remember right (been a while), I think why I liked it was because of the mechanics being similar to ME1. I know I hated ME3 because it felt like I was playing a console game and that is a big block for me. Cover mechanics are lame, I really hate them as it is an obvious sign of them dealing with inferior game controls (much like iron sight designs).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:36
Shillitron wrote: March 29th, 2024, 13:02

This is why people shouldn't take rusty's opinions on games seriously.
Anyone who likes ME2 is a woman. It's easily the worst of the three, the entire game is just interpersonal drama.
See, maybe I wasn't paying attention to the story as much, but If I remember right (been a while), I think why I liked it was because of the mechanics being similar to ME1. I know I hated ME3 because it felt like I was playing a console game and that is a big block for me. Cover mechanics are lame, I really hate them as it is an obvious sign of them dealing with inferior game controls (much like iron sight designs).
ME2 is the most consolized, it doesn't even let you scroll the menus with a mousewheel — may have been changed in the remaster. The gameplay is just an all-around worse version of ME3 because it dropped a lot of the RPG mechanics from ME1.

Mass Effect games were always console games tho. Few people seem to remember it took well over a year(?) for it to release on PC after its release.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:38
Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:36

ME2 is the most consolized, it doesn't even let you scroll the menus with a mousewheel — may have been changed in the remaster. The gameplay is just an all-around worse version of ME3 because it dropped a lot of the RPG mechanics from ME1.

Mass Effect games were always console games tho. Few people seem to remember it took well over a year(?) for it to release on PC after its release.
Maybe it was the cover mechanic then that set me off, as I know that was added in ME3. The menus I agree, were always a gripe . I think that was the time that development shifted and a lot of the games started to be developed first on consoles, then ported to PC. It had its plus side though as I didn't have to upgrade my machine very often due to everything being run on the inferior console units.

To be honest, it has been so long I couldn't honestly argue the details. I do know I finished 1 and 2, but only got like a 1/4 into the 3rd before I gave up.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:44
Maybe it was the cover mechanic then that set me off, as I know that was added in ME3.
Nope, it was ME2. It's why I consider ME2 to be strictly inferior to ME3. Same basic game mechanics except just worse with bad AI. Insanity difficulty is just bullet sponge enemies, in ME3 they flank you and pepper you with grenades to get you out of cover.
ME2's DLC is pretty good tho.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 31st, 2024, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:45
Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 17:44
Maybe it was the cover mechanic then that set me off, as I know that was added in ME3.
Nope, it was ME2. It's why I consider ME2 to be strictly inferior to ME3. Same basic game mechanics except just worse with bad AI. Insanity difficulty is just bullet sponge enemies, in ME3 they flank you and pepper you with grenades to get you out of cover.

Hmm.. well crap, not sure then why I went through it as opposed to giving up on ME3. Maybe I was in a dry spell and tolerated it. I really can't remember.
Last edited by Xenich on March 31st, 2024, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Shoutout to 2007 Bioware for designing an alien species of eternally 20 year old women who exist for the sole purpose of being fucked by other races. Very Red7esque.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 1st, 2024, 20:58
Shoutout to 2007 Bioware for designing an alien species of eternally 20 year old women who exist for the sole purpose of being fucked by other races. Very Red7esque.
I liked the one conversation in 2 where men of different species talk about what aspect of Asari makes them look attract/more like a member of their own race and imply the possibility that they have some sort of ability to alter their appearance to other species to look more attractive.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 1st, 2024, 21:02
I liked the one conversation in 2 where men of different species talk about what aspect of Asari makes them look attract/more like a member of their own race and imply the possibility that they have some sort of ability to alter their appearance to other species to look more attractive.
They were just drunk. That ruse would last about 3 seconds until someone took a picture of them.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 21:30
They were just drunk. That ruse would last about 3 seconds until someone took a picture of them.
Makes about as much sense as the mind melding and other psychic powers shit they have.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Salarian=scales
Turian=fucked up head ridge
Human=literally everything else
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I thought it was pretty ballsy for Mass Effect 2 to not move the main reaper plot along at all until a post game DLC that basically just has you spin the tires a bit and end up right where you started anyway.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

ME2 is a soap opera for women, it's when they first went all-in on their tumblr audience.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:49
ME2 is a soap opera for women, it's when they first went all-in on their tumblr audience.
You like ME3.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:51
You like ME3.
Yea, EA beat the developers with a whip and forced them to make a game that's fun to play. Publishers who do their job are cool.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:53
You like ME3.
Yea, EA beat the developers with a whip and forced them to make a game that's fun to play. Publishers who do their job are cool.
Half of that game is slow motion melodrama as they try to make you care about characters they're killing off. The other half is lamer Gears of War.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:56

You like ME3.
Half of that game is slow motion melodrama as they try to make you care about characters they're killing off. The other half is lamer Gears of War.
Gears of War is fun to play.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:56

It is but I wouldn't want to play a space themed action RPG if I booted up Gears of War and vice versa
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:01
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 05:56

It is but I wouldn't want to play a space themed action RPG if I booted up Gears of War and vice versa
ME2 is just ME3's gameplay except all around significantly worse.
The only reason to like ME2 is if you're a woman.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 2nd, 2024, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I liked ME2, I liked working for the bad guys and putting together a team like it was some kind of cheezy 80s action flick. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Also the extra ending to ME3 didn't fix shit. It was just the writers giving you the finger for not liking their horrible work.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

average ME2 enjoyer would consider cerberus to be 'bad guys', yeah.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Cerberus is basically an entirely different group in each game.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:09
They're p.decent in the first two. They shit all over everything in the third game. I'll never forgive them for making the fight with Illusive Man just another Saren.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tweed wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:10
Vergil wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:09
They're p.decent in the first two. They shit all over everything in the third game. I'll never forgive them for making the fight with Illusive Man just another Saren.
I got the vibe that they were a lot more decentralized and more overtly terroristy in ME1. Not being ruled by a super gorillionaire with some corporate private army aesthetic complete with uniforms. They're not morally grey much at all in 2 until the end.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:07
I enjoy 2 because it lets me be a human pinball.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Kalarion wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 13:33
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 06:07
I enjoy 2 because it lets me be a human pinball.
I enjoyed playing biotic shotgunner, and while the biotic charge was nice, I miss the "tactical" element of the battling in #2. I loved to assign a chain of biotic attacks on enemies while I ran in and gunned them down. The shared cooldown is meh.
I reduced that to almost nothing with tinkering, but it was still "shared". I liked it when each ability had it's separate cooldown.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

If you play as anything but earth born sole survivor soldier you suck eggs btw
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I always pick the default if the game offers it because I assume that's how the game was meant to be played