We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

YouTube's new anti-adblock

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Shillitron wrote: November 5th, 2023, 13:23
It would be easier for UO to just add it themselves when they detect your local cache is stale.
You'd think they'd implement it by now. Maybe there's some loophole UO is relying on that doesn't automate some ad-blocking capabilities under the hood, i.e. auto-update the cache, to appease the people who matter from knocking the extension off the Chrome and Firefox sites
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Nemesis wrote: November 6th, 2023, 14:59
Shillitron wrote: November 5th, 2023, 13:23
It would be easier for UO to just add it themselves when they detect your local cache is stale.
You'd think they'd implement it by now. Maybe there's some loophole UO is relying on that doesn't automate some ad-blocking capabilities under the hood, i.e. auto-update the cache, to appease the people who matter from knocking the extension off the Chrome and Firefox sites
My guess:

It may be too much bandwidth & strain on their servers to sync your local with remote or the browser doesn't let them access the cache like that. The only option would be "dump it every time" but regenerating all of it may likewise take too long from a ~user experience~ perspective or they don't want to pay bandwidth to serve you new files unless they have to.

Without googling / researching it at all, this sounds right in my head, I'm not even sure what cache is being dumped tbh. I don't think it plays any part in avoiding detection.
Last edited by Shillitron on November 6th, 2023, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

Rand wrote: October 29th, 2023, 23:09
They are pretty serious...

I have stage 4 YouTube cancer.
Had it several times before. For a week or two it's been fine since I tampered with TamperMonkey and kept uBO updated
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Brave seems to be keeping pace for me, had maybe a day where I got ads, only audio. This is making me consider just dropping using youtube, will probably be better for me anyway.
Slavic Sorcerer

YT is way too integrated in my routine. To cancel out some noised from neighbs I just listen to social and political commentary
I've found that listening to just music all day makes me more tired and less focused

I'm gonna fight until they directly ban me and all my accounts from YT
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on November 6th, 2023, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Latest News in the Google vs Internet Ad Wars
Chromium (the underlying engine that almost all browsers rely on, will be deprecating ManifestV2.
ManifestV3 blocks the ability of extensions to leverage api's that are integral to ad-blocking / managing web requests. For example you can't use webRequestBlocking in manifest v3.

TL;DR For Brainlets - Google fucking Malding about everyone adblocking so now they are poisoning the well at the browser. :lol:
(This is actually old news and they've been planning this for a while - it's just funnier now)

--

Timeline:

https://tech.co/news/google-chrome-ad-blockers-2023

In January 2023, use of Manifest V3 will become a prerequisite for the Featured badge as we raise the security bar for extensions we highlight in the store.
In June 2023, the Chrome Web Store will no longer allow Manifest V2 items to be published with visibility set to Public. All existing Manifest V2 items with visibility set to Public at that time will have their visibility changed to Unlisted.
In January 2024, following the expiration of the Manifest V2 enterprise policy, the Chrome Web Store will remove all remaining Manifest V2 items from the store.

--

Firefox, Safari are unaffected.

Edge cucked out it seems.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... anifest-v3

Vivalid - will migrate but detour the limitation.
https://vivaldi.com/blog/manifest-v3-we ... -blockers/
​So, to the best of my reckoning, I can say that it looks very likely that the Vivaldi Ad Blocker won’t suffer any adverse effects from the Manifest V3 changes. And, if it does, there should be relatively simple ways to fix it.
Brave - will continue supporting V2 Extensions forever but you'll need to download them from somewhere else after 2024 I guess..?
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/09/29/brave ... v3-update/
Brave confirms it will support Manifest V2 extensions like uBlock Origin even after Chrome drops them.
Last edited by Shillitron on November 20th, 2023, 02:23, edited 7 times in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

I've never used a Google browser and I never will.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Shillitron wrote: November 20th, 2023, 02:13
Chromium (the underlying engine that almost all browsers rely on, will be deprecating ManifestV2.
ManifestV3 blocks the ability of extensions to leverage api's that are integral to ad-blocking / managing web requests. For example you can't use webRequestBlocking in manifest v3.

TL;DR For Brainlets - Google fucking Malding about everyone adblocking so now they are poisoning the well at the browser. :lol:
(This is actually old news and they've been planning this for a while - it's just funnier now)

--

Timeline:

In January 2023, use of Manifest V3 will become a prerequisite for the Featured badge as we raise the security bar for extensions we highlight in the store.
In June 2023, the Chrome Web Store will no longer allow Manifest V2 items to be published with visibility set to Public. All existing Manifest V2 items with visibility set to Public at that time will have their visibility changed to Unlisted.
In January 2024, following the expiration of the Manifest V2 enterprise policy, the Chrome Web Store will remove all remaining Manifest V2 items from the store.

--

​So, to the best of my reckoning, I can say that it looks very likely that the Vivaldi Ad Blocker won’t suffer any adverse effects from the Manifest V3 changes. And, if it does, there should be relatively simple ways to fix it.
Brave - will continue supporting V2 Extensions forever but you'll need to download them from somewhere else after 2024 I guess..?
Brave confirms it will support Manifest V2 extensions like uBlock Origin even after Chrome drops them.
I basically *only* watch videos on YouTube, it is my primary source of entertainment and information and has completely replaced any other form of media 'interface' for me, and I say that to then say the following: if YT's subscription fee was lower I would've already paid it just to avoid the adblock hassle.

YT Premium's $15 dorra a month is simply absurd, it's higher than most other fully-featured streaming services. Higher than Amazon Prime which is way more useful. If they weren't so stupidly greedy and just charged $5 a month instead I probably would've already subbed just to avoid the hassle... but $15 is way too much. $15 is where you start thinking "hey, maybe I don't need to watch YouTube. Not for 15 a month I don't".
UnfairTradeCoffee

Post by UnfairTradeCoffee »

I honestly wouldn't mind some ads if:
1. they take no longer than a few seconds
2. advertise stuff I care about
3. show zero mixed race couples and show actors relative to america's demographics.

They can't even fulfill one of these for me and they have the fucking gall to ask for $15 a month.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

UnfairTradeCoffee wrote: November 20th, 2023, 04:55
I honestly wouldn't mind some ads if:
1. they take no longer than a few seconds
2. advertise stuff I care about
3. show zero mixed race couples and show actors relative to america's demographics.

They can't even fulfill one of these for me and they have the fucking gall to ask for $15 a month.
Even if they did this - I'd never watch them.

I won't defend it morally. I accept my lot in life as a content sucking leech.. but.. eh.. I just don't fucking wanna. :smug:
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Buyfags and paypiggies are why video games are essentially "woke proof", there are people who pride themselves on buying every game for their digital libraries. they are the ultimate consooooomers.

pirating everything is the correct choice.
Last edited by aweigh on November 20th, 2023, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: November 20th, 2023, 05:26
Especially when both the scumbags in my provincial and federal governments want a percentage (15% total) from me downloading a digital product from another country.
Until I find a VPN way around this, it's a fuck, no.
Last edited by Rand on November 20th, 2023, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Rand wrote: November 20th, 2023, 05:45
Especially when both the scumbags in my provincial and federal governments want a percentage (15% total) from me downloading a digital product from another country.
careful with some VPNs, the really popular ones like NordVPN sell your data to the big ISPs. They're essentially worthless. Personally I don't even use a VPN anymore, I just download from multi-uploader sites, or "direct download" sites. This is one case where buying a yearly sub to something like 1fichier or rapidgator can actually be worthwhile (I don't do it yet but I've considered it).

For games I just download from links found in cs.rin.ru, for watching media i use "free streaming" sites like fmovies or aniwatch or whatever. I also use a site called ovagames, unofficial site for the group ElAmigos. CDRomance and Ziperto for console roms.

If I reeeeally want to have a downloaded file of some tv show or movie I use the forum called dirtywarez.
Last edited by aweigh on November 20th, 2023, 06:44, edited 2 times in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

What is google going to do when you block ads at VPN or router level?

Not that I use chromium but anyways.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: November 20th, 2023, 06:42
Rand wrote: November 20th, 2023, 05:45
careful with some VPNs, the really popular ones like NordVPN sell your data to the big ISPs. They're essentially worthless. Personally I don't even use a VPN anymore, I just download from multi-uploader sites, or "direct download" sites. This is one case where buying a yearly sub to something like 1fichier or rapidgator can actually be worthwhile (I don't do it yet but I've considered it).

For games I just download from links found in cs.rin.ru, for watching media i use "free streaming" sites like fmovies or aniwatch or whatever. I also use a site called ovagames, unofficial site for the group ElAmigos. CDRomance and Ziperto for console roms.

If I reeeeally want to have a downloaded file of some tv show or movie I use the forum called dirtywarez.
I use Proton. They're privacy oriented in their VPN and mail services.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: November 20th, 2023, 13:29
What is google going to do when you block ads at VPN or router level?
Isn't this possible with Pi-hole? It was mentioned to me but I never looked into it.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

aweigh wrote: November 20th, 2023, 04:11

--

Timeline:

--

I basically *only* watch videos on YouTube, it is my primary source of entertainment and information and has completely replaced any other form of media 'interface' for me, and I say that to then say the following: if YT's subscription fee was lower I would've already paid it just to avoid the adblock hassle.

YT Premium's $15 dorra a month is simply absurd, it's higher than most other fully-featured streaming services. Higher than Amazon Prime which is way more useful. If they weren't so stupidly greedy and just charged $5 a month instead I probably would've already subbed just to avoid the hassle... but $15 is way too much. $15 is where you start thinking "hey, maybe I don't need to watch YouTube. Not for 15 a month I don't".
It sounds like $15 would be worth it for you if it also removed embedded advertisements from videos. But the current price isn't really ad-free.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Google can't win this fight.
They might raise that bar a little in complexity but their ability to monitor / block you from doing things on the client is hobbled by privacy laws / lack of access to the hardware.

I'm shocked they are even trying.. ask any video game developer.

At least in anti-cheat detection - you've consented to run binary processes on your computer.. even then it's an endless round and round where the goal of detection is not to stop hackers / cheaters - it's only to make it more expensive for the creator of the tools. (This is considered the highest ROI - it's already a forgone conclusion that it's unstoppable)

reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust/
Kernel-level cheats are expensive to create, and they are expensive to detect.
Our goal is to make them more expensive for cheaters and cheat creators than the economic benefits they can reasonably expect to gain.
--

All that to say, Google can't even fight back at this level.
Even just doing ad-block detection in Javascript is already getting them in legal trouble.
Privacy advocate Alexander Hanff has filed a complaint with the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) accusing YouTube of using JavaScript code to detect ad-blocking extensions without explicit consent. YouTube’s Terms of Service do not explicitly disallow ad blocking extensions, but the language suggests that blocking ads on the platform may be a violation.

--

The Irish DPC has acknowledged Hanff’s complaint and agreed to reach out to YouTube for further information. Hanff expects the DPC to investigate and issue an enforcement notice to cease these activities without consent, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). He also calls for the unbanning of accounts affected by these detections and the deletion of any unlawfully processed personal data.

--

YouTube’s assertion that using an ad blocker violates their Terms of Service is challenged by Hanff, who argues that such terms that restrict the legal rights and freedoms of EU citizens are void under EU law.
Google is essentially forced to fight back against the entire internet which is able to employ any technique at almost any network layer.. with only the weakest and flimsiest levels of prevention - which could already land them in millions of dollars worth of fines. :lol:
Last edited by Shillitron on November 20th, 2023, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Stop using Chrome.
Firefox wins again.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

YT started doing something now where they intentionally slow down a video page load on non-Chrome browsers.

Last edited by aweigh on November 20th, 2023, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

aweigh wrote: November 20th, 2023, 20:51
YT started doing something now where they intentionally slow down a video page load on non-Chrome browsers.

this seems like the kind of thing that has a 50% chance of really pissing off the FCC

the guys on the reddit thread are saying this has nothing to do with firefox
Last edited by Emphyrio on November 20th, 2023, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Use invidious or yt-dlp.
Emphyrio wrote: November 20th, 2023, 20:56
aweigh wrote: November 20th, 2023, 20:51

this seems like the kind of thing that has a 50% chance of really pissing off the FCC

the guys on the reddit thread are saying this has nothing to do with firefox
Add this to your ublock filter list and see if it's gone:

Code: Select all

www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)
Last edited by Segata on November 20th, 2023, 23:08, edited 2 times in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

I'm starting to think the Ad Detection team is based out of India...
Slavic Sorcerer

Segata Sanshiro wrote: November 20th, 2023, 23:02

Add this to your ublock filter list and see if it's gone:

Code: Select all

www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)
I can confirm it works on Opera
Slavic Sorcerer

So far so good. The vids are playing without a delay, ublock works, tampermonkey too
The only issue I may have is when I turn the Opera-build-in adblocker. Everything goes haywire sometimes when I do that

Youtube can get in queue and kiss my ass

Beware of actors spewing shit like this and reject this gaslighting attempt. While I understand the sentiment, once you publish something on the internet - even with a paywall - you'd should know there will be people who will manage to get it for free
Also, it's not piracy if a purchase won't make it mine anyway.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Someone's working on an extension that speeds up the ads.
Last edited by Nemesis on November 24th, 2023, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Nemesis wrote: November 24th, 2023, 02:20
Someone's working on an extension that speeds up the ads.
Called it!