We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

COLONY SHIP

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

My only gripe with the game so far is that if you push 10 to two stats at the start of the game, you can't get both the correspondent feats. Other than that... 0 issues so far.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

The_Mask wrote: November 13th, 2023, 23:41
My only gripe with the game so far is that if you push 10 to two stats at the start of the game, you can't get both the correspondent feats. Other than that... 0 issues so far.
The heroic feats are massive bonuses so it's fair. That would also make Gifted mandatory if it let you pick more heroic feats.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Maggot wrote: November 14th, 2023, 00:24
The heroic feats are massive bonuses so it's fair. That would also make Gifted mandatory if it let you pick more heroic feats.
I was hoping that if you get 2 level 10 stats, then you would be allowed to take the second "special feat" at the cost of not being able to take Gifted.

I'm not flaming here. I am enjoying the game very much.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Lhynn wrote: November 13th, 2023, 23:17
Boontaker wrote: November 13th, 2023, 21:35
Lhynn wrote: November 13th, 2023, 19:46

Who thought learn by use was a good idea for these type of games? lmao.

I will kill every motherfucker I encounter, unless they can point me to a bigger group to kill. Why? Because its exp and if I dont kill I will be killed on the next difficulty increase.

You can somewhat diminish the need to murderhobo everything by playing on hero, but as an underdog you need to be a murdering psychopath with no conscience otherwise you are dead.
COPE and SEETHE

I have been merciful and allowed 4 encounters to end peacefully in my underdog playthrough and I don't feel weak at all
Shut up shill, or make an actual point. No matter what you say, whats actually happened is that youve put yourself behind thousands in combat effectiveness worth of exp worth and won nothing for it.
Most named NPCs will return in later chapters if you don't murder them. Although not all have a big part to play. The game also gives you consumable items (advanced grenades) that can be critical to your success in harder fights. Having cutting edge combat skills just cuts down on the necessity of these grenades.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

The_Mask wrote: November 14th, 2023, 00:26
Maggot wrote: November 14th, 2023, 00:24
I was hoping that if you get 2 level 10 stats, then you would be allowed to take the second "special feat" at the cost of not being able to take Gifted.

I'm not flaming here. I am enjoying the game very much.
Gifted is a weird one, I'm guessing it exists for ultra niche builds or achivment runs.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I just rolled with the default religious nut melee build.
revenant

Post by revenant »

Lhynn wrote: November 13th, 2023, 23:17
Boontaker wrote: November 13th, 2023, 21:35
Lhynn wrote: November 13th, 2023, 19:46

Who thought learn by use was a good idea for these type of games? lmao.

I will kill every motherfucker I encounter, unless they can point me to a bigger group to kill. Why? Because its exp and if I dont kill I will be killed on the next difficulty increase.

You can somewhat diminish the need to murderhobo everything by playing on hero, but as an underdog you need to be a murdering psychopath with no conscience otherwise you are dead.
COPE and SEETHE

I have been merciful and allowed 4 encounters to end peacefully in my underdog playthrough and I don't feel weak at all
Shut up shill, or make an actual point. No matter what you say, whats actually happened is that youve put yourself behind thousands in combat effectiveness worth of exp worth and won nothing for it.
Like in AoD, you get skill points for soft (civic) skills for solving encounters peacefully, so the "effectiveness" of your character still increases.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

In AoD, if someone threatens you with combat, you think "does it makes sense for my character to fight this guy?" If you're playing as a mercenary or a soldier, then yeah - it makes sense. But if you're a merchant, then it would be better to run away, or give the thug your money, or pick whatever other option that allows you to avoid combat. You act like your character would act in the same situation.

In Colony Ship, when some scav threatens you, you make a choice based on what kind of experience you may extract from this encounter.

That's more of a problem with the core idea of a system than with the game itself. Learn-by-use is difficult to balance in a non-openworld game, it's inherently metagamey and abusable.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

wndrbr wrote: November 14th, 2023, 06:50
In AoD, if someone threatens you with combat, you think "does it makes sense for my character to fight this guy?" If you're playing as a mercenary or a soldier, then yeah - it makes sense. But if you're a merchant, then it would be better to run away, or give the thug your money, or pick whatever other option that allows you to avoid combat. You act like your character would act in the same situation.

In Colony Ship, when some scav threatens you, you make a choice based on what kind of experience you may extract from this encounter.

That's more of a problem with the core idea of a system than with the game itself. Learn-by-use is difficult to balance in a non-openworld game, it's inherently metagamey and abusable.
You can play the entire game with stealth and diplomacy, but only if you train those skills by using them. You can't "talk" your way through the early game and then decide to become a murder machine once you have banked enough skill points or have crafted gear/alchemy like you can in AoD. You also can't be a murderhobo that turns into a scholar or alchemist halfway through the game like you can in AoD.

Skill point allocation is garbage, you only "roleplay" a certain way until it benefits you to change. Skill training forces you to "roleplay" your build all the way to the end.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Make way, make way: frog hunter walkin' through... I say... FROG HUNTER WALKIN' THROUGH, 'ERE~!

:D
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Boontaker wrote: November 14th, 2023, 07:01
wndrbr wrote: November 14th, 2023, 06:50

You can play the entire game with stealth and diplomacy, but only if you train those skills by using them. You can't "talk" your way through the early game and then decide to become a murder machine once you have banked enough skill points or have crafted gear/alchemy like you can in AoD. You also can't be a murderhobo that turns into a scholar or alchemist halfway through the game like you can in AoD.

Skill point allocation is garbage, you only "roleplay" a certain way until it benefits you to change. Skill training forces you to "roleplay" your build all the way to the end.
Its the best way for a classless system.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

So Vince finally shat out Colon Ship. Is it alike the demo? I don't recall much besides being bothered by the crew diversity and bored by the walls of text.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Finished my first playthrough, and I enjoyed the game

My first playthrough was a full party build focusing on persuasion. I did not complete every optional encounter as some of them are ridiculously hard, and my build just wasn't up to it without large amounts of reload. The game is quick enough (once you have already read most everything once) that it would be faster to just make a combat build and replay which is what I plan to do. It's rare these days when a game is good enough that after seeing the game end I want to make a new character and play again, I think the fact that the game is short (compared to Wrath of the Woke) makes it more satisfying.

My End Game status

► Show Spoiler
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Boontaker wrote: November 16th, 2023, 21:25
total play time ?
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Shillitron wrote: November 17th, 2023, 02:56
Boontaker wrote: November 16th, 2023, 21:25
total play time ?
I would guess 20-25 hrs, I can't use steam because I played early access quite a bit. I was also able to speedrun the content I already new. Probably 30hrs or less would be the average playtime for a first playthroigh
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

I'm at 48 hours according to Steam and haven't completed the game yet, although I can feel I am close. Playing a hybrid build, so I can pass a lot of speech checks but I often opt for combat anyway. I had around 6-8 hours in the Early Access so I imagine my first playthrough will come out to around 45 - 50 hours.

Overall a significantly longer game than AoD for a single playthrough, but I can't see there being as much as variety on subsequent playthroughs. AoD had entire, very involved areas that could be missed completely depending on builds but the way Colony Ship works I think you will visit every area regardless of your build type (of course the setting itself to a certain extent prevents there being out of the way undiscovered areas), with only a few small quest related areas being tied to your build (mostly areas that can only be accessed with stealth).
Last edited by agentorange on November 17th, 2023, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

agentorange wrote: November 17th, 2023, 03:55
AoD had entire, very involved areas that could be missed completely depending on builds but the way Colony Ship works I think you will visit every area regardless of your build type
Which design do you prefer?

Is restricting content in a playthrough based on choices / classes worth it even if it means the overall experience is half as long?
On one hand it gives replay value.
On the other, there's no free lunch - your overall experience is shorter and more content light. Is sectioning off entire parts of a game worth that?

The most extreme example that comes to mind is Witcher 2.
Last edited by Shillitron on November 17th, 2023, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
revenant

Post by revenant »

150 MB of saves stored in the Steam Cloud after one playthrough with 50 MB of space remaining :shock:

Also the game seems to be somewhat buggy as after persuading the Church in one of the endgame quests later reported the Brotherhood as being persuaded instead in a dialogue, but similar scripting errors were present in AoD years after release, so...

Great game even if it does not live up to the standards set by AoD, definitely not "colon shit". My favorite part was the hydroponics, really dreadful and desolate atmosphere throughout without going into too many spoilers. Funniest thing is that graphically it's the reverse of AoD - environments look great, models decent but the animations are dogshit, running animation quite literally looks like floating through air. Will definitely do more playthroughs with different characters but I doubt there's content to beat the game 23 times like I did AoD.
Agesilaus

Post by Agesilaus »

Hauberk wrote: November 16th, 2023, 20:43
So Vince finally shat out Colon Ship. Is it alike the demo? I don't recall much besides being bothered by the crew diversity and bored by the walls of text.
Haha, now shut the fuck up and give it a positive review on Steam. GOTY 7 years running.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

Finished it today. Took around 50 hours. From talking to other people who finished the game we all experienced a decent amount of variation in the final encounters and available choices. Nothing as drastically different as the various endings of AoD however. The final choice of endings are sadly presented to you on a single computer console at the end of the game, an ending choice framework that AoD did a very good job of avoiding, although whether or not you can successfully see some of these endings through does depend on various prior choices and your character build (not just in terms of skill checks but some of the endings require beating extremely difficult combat encounters).

Definitely a case of a developer achieving such success with their first game that they will be overshadowed by it forever. If this was the developer's first game I would mostly have only praise for it, as it is a lot of my criticism is "they were able to do so much more in AoD so why so much less this time, why does this feel so much less inspired." Still one of the best games I've played since AoD and I was totally absorbed by it for the duration of my playthrough.
Last edited by agentorange on November 18th, 2023, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

agentorange wrote: November 18th, 2023, 06:39
Finished it today. Took around 50 hours. From talking to other people who finished the game we all experienced a decent amount of variation in the final encounters and available choices. Nothing as drastically different as the various endings of AoD however. The final choice of endings are sadly presented to you on a single computer console at the end of the game, an ending choice framework that AoD did a very good job of avoiding, although whether or not you can successfully see some of these endings through does depend on various prior choices and your character build (not just in terms of skill checks but some of the endings require beating extremely difficult combat encounters).

Definitely a case of a developer achieving such success with their first game that they will be overshadowed by it forever. If this was the developer's first game I would mostly have only praise for it, as it is a lot of my criticism is "they were able to do so much more in AoD so why so much less this time, why does this feel so much less inspired." Still one of the best games I've played since AoD and I was totally absorbed by it for the duration of my playthrough.
Was it worth 40 dolaridoos?
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

I finished it twice already and enjoyed it very much. I'm going for a third playthrough, not counting the many unfinished (Early Access) runs.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

At which point you can access Hydroponics Yellow? I found a tower control module in Mission Control and gave it to Carlos, but the gates to Hydroponics Yellow are still closed, and the guard standing in front of it only says "closed until further notice".
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

wndrbr wrote: November 19th, 2023, 14:43
At which point you can access Hydroponics Yellow? I found a tower control module in Mission Control and gave it to Carlos, but the gates to Hydroponics Yellow are still closed, and the guard standing in front of it only says "closed until further notice".
Act 2 AFTER your first visit through the Habitat is when you get a quest to open up hydroponics
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Boontaker wrote: November 19th, 2023, 14:49
Act 2 AFTER your first visit through the Habitat is when you get a quest to open up hydroponics
yeah, i know. I finished Habitat quests, came back to Mission control with an eye, opened lower floors, and looted Tower control module. Yet I can't access other sections of Hydroponics.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

wndrbr wrote: November 19th, 2023, 14:53
Boontaker wrote: November 19th, 2023, 14:49
yeah, i know. I finished Habitat quests, came back to Mission control with an eye, opened lower floors, and looted Tower control module. Yet I can't access other sections of Hydroponics.
You need to retrieve the fuel cell from The Heart.
Element

Post by Element »

Unfortunate positioning options in a lot of encounters in the Pit. A few fights just start off in really tight quarters where they quickly devolve into a crapshoot. The damage output isn't very high so you're just exchanging shotgun blasts from point blank range in a container with some goons a lot of the time. Wish there were more encounters like the Regulators storming Promised Land.

Other than that, no complaints from me so far.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

What's the point in grid-based inventory? Your inventory capacity is unlimited, so the size of items you collect doesn't really matter. Not to mention that for some reason all items of the same type have exact same size. A big-ass helmet takes 4 slots, a small visor takes 4 slots, a frigging riot armor also takes 4 slots. A dinky knife takes 8 slots, a sniper rifle takes 8 slots, a revolver takes 8 slots. I don't really have anything against grid-inventories in games where item sizes don't matter as long as it looks immersive, but that's not the case with Colony Ship. All the grid inventory does is making item management a hassle, cuz all armor icons look very similar.

I like the item graphics, but Vince should've just used a list.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: November 20th, 2023, 00:59
What's the point in grid-based inventory? Your inventory capacity is unlimited, so the size of items you collect doesn't really matter. Not to mention that for some reason all items of the same type have exact same size. A big-ass helmet takes 4 slots, a small visor takes 4 slots, a frigging riot armor also takes 4 slots. A dinky knife takes 8 slots, a sniper rifle takes 8 slots, a revolver takes 8 slots. I don't really have anything against grid-inventories in games where item sizes don't matter as long as it looks immersive, but that's not the case with Colony Ship. All the grid inventory does is making item management a hassle, cuz all armor icons look very similar.

I like the item graphics, but Vince should've just used a list.
Console babies unable to see the superiority of data tables.