We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Ten commandments Vs The Bible

Surely this will be a civilized forum
Boontaker

Ten commandments Vs The Bible

Post by Boontaker »

If someone followed the ten commandments, striving to not break them. Pushing themselves to be a better person and less sinful every day, and accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Could they ignore the rest of the Bible?

As someone who wasn't raised in a Christian household but believes in good morals and the ten commandments or the Golden Rule. Would my salvation be revoked if I don't believe in much of whats written in the Bible?

Watching Christian denominations bicker is cringe. It feels like they are arguing about the wrapping paper on the commandments of God.

Do my beliefs place me in a Christian denomination that I just don't know about?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Well, several places in the New Testament - including Jesus's own teaching - point out that the 10 commandments show us where we don't measure up and fall short of the perfection or sinlessness required by God. So, to be quite honest, and I mean this kindly, you would be setting yourself up for despair.

I think you need to ask yourself two questions:

1. If you don't believe what's written in the Bible, why do you want to be Christian?
2. What is your authority for deciding what in the Bible is true, and what makes that decision correct?

In this time, we are actually seeing more unity across Christian denominations than any time in history. Personally, I have found valuable teaching from Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant sources.

Depending on the community, the differences are like an intermural debate rather than a bitter argument.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

You cannot be a Christian by yourself. To be a Christian means to be a member of the body of Christ. The ten commandments are a baseline; Christ's teachings go far beyond them. It is the difference between natural virtue and holiness.

Were a man stranded in the desert with nothing but the ten commandments and his faith in Christ, I think God would have mercy on that man; had the same man full access to both the Church and the rest of the Bible but rejected them, I would fear greatly for his salvation.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

The fact you're trying to get into God's good graces while skirting around becoming a real Christian means you're already on the fast lane to Hell due to your ego. There's no salvation for you, no reset point, no system restore, you're going to burn in the deepest pits of the void with no chance to ever escape it. Everything you do from now until you die is pointless because you are fated to burn with other heretics and egotists. Have a nice day.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: October 5th, 2023, 09:22
The fact you're trying to get into God's good graces while skirting around becoming a real Christian means you're already on the fast lane to Hell due to your ego. There's no salvation for you, no reset point, no system restore, you're going to burn in the deepest pits of the void with no chance to ever escape it. Everything you do from now until you die is pointless because you are fated to burn with other heretics and egotists. Have a nice day.
Which denomination is this?

Is Moses in Heaven?
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

You won't be laughing when you're riding shotgun with Atlet's dead junkie brother in Dis, buddy-boy.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: October 5th, 2023, 09:35
You won't be laughing when you're riding shotgun with Atlet's dead junkie brother in Dis, buddy-boy.
I'm not laughing at all, I'm asking questions. Seeking knowledge, and you are spitting venom in my face. Which page is that from?
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 09:39
you are spitting venom in my face
He's a spider, he can't help it.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 06:37
Could they ignore the rest of the Bible?
If you believe Christ is Lord then why would you be disinterested in the rest of his Word?
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: October 5th, 2023, 09:53
Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 06:37
Could they ignore the rest of the Bible?
If you believe Christ is Lord then why would you be disinterested in the rest of his Word?
I worded that too strongly, if a Christian disagrees with parts of the Bible are they heretics? Is probably a clearer statement, and what if they disagree with more than just some of the Bible?

To answer the question of "Why be Christian". I like the idea of someone who does not know me and would never know me sacrificing for me, it's very heroic. Many other religions have practices that are complete hard "No"s for me as well.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 10:05
I worded that too strongly, if a Christian disagrees with parts of the Bible are they heretics? Is probably a clearer statement, and what if they disagree with more than just some of the Bible?
Well... yeah, you can't throw away parts of the most important Christian document without making yourself a heretic. Perhaps it were more profitable to discuss what exactly your issues with the Bible are. If you already believe that Christ is God incarnate, died for your sins, and rose again―which I assume you do, since you are prepared to accept Christ as Lord―then you've already gotten over what most people feel to be the 'hard part'.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

The truth is I have not read the Bible. All of my limited knowledge comes from living in a Christian society and interacting with Christians. I am trying to determine if I read the Bible and then disagree with some of it, was it a pointless endeavor. I have this thought process because of denominations. With all of the revisions and editions of the Bible, and the followers disagreering with each other. This makes me ask the original question.

If a Christian disagrees with some of the Bible are they still saved? Why do denominations exist if total belief in the word is required? Doesn't this mean someone is wrong and someone is right?

Call me a child, call me an idiot, call me a troll. My question and interest is genuine.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 10:47
I am trying to determine if I read the Bible and then disagree with some of it, was it a pointless endeavor.
It were profitable regardless. It is best read with spiritual eyes, but even from a purely material perspective, it is the most important historical document in the world and thus worthy of reading for anyone.
With all of the revisions and editions of the Bible, and the followers disagreering with each other. This makes me ask the original question.
I understand your quandary. Translations are a difficult thing. Even when made with the best of intentions, languages aren't 1:1 and therefore translations cannot be perfect.

This being the case, the most important thing becomes interpretation. People often behave as though the Bible existed in a vacuum and that everything needed to understand the Bible is contained within the Bible itself. Just as with any other historical document, this is not so. There is historical context, wordplay, tradition―all of these and more can lend a verse hidden layers of meaning. Disagreements between denominations are rarely about which pieces of the Bible to keep or discard but rather how they ought be interpreted.

To find the correct interpretation, then, one ought find that Church founded by Christ through His apostles, which safeguards the apostolic tradition and has produced countless holy men who have clarified and affirmed the meaning of the Bible. This is the Orthodox Church.

None of the above is meant to discourage you from reading the Bible on your own. There is much to be gained even from a plain reading.
If a Christian disagrees with some of the Bible are they still saved?
It is up to God, but He is merciful. I do not presume to know God's judgements, but my guess is that it depends on circumstance and intent. I can imagine one 'disagreeing' with a part of the Bible he didn't understand and not having it counted against him.
Why do denominations exist if total belief in the word is required?
Interpretation and human error. Note that even within the Church there are disagreements about the meaning of certain passages. This does not endanger one's salvation unless it concerns a major article of the Faith, such as the Resurrection.
Doesn't this mean someone is wrong and someone is right?
Yes.

EDIT: To add a concrete suggestion regarding version, I think the easiest choice were the Orthodox Study Bible, which is based on the New King James Version but is supplemented with the missing books and contains some commentary. For the pure beauty of language, my favorite is the King James Version, but it has some issues.
garren

Post by garren »

If a Christian disagrees with some of the Bible are they still saved? Why do denominations exist if total belief in the word is required? Doesn't this mean someone is wrong and someone is right?
Many parts of the Bible speak in metaphors or are unclear without the wisdom or knowledge to understand the meaning. People have different opinions on different parts and depending who you ask, you're gonna get a different answer sometimes. Can you be saved if you disagree with some parts or interpretations (or are just confused about some parts)? I don't see why not, we are all sinners, depends on your relationship with God. Some stuff is more clear of course like the ten commandments so if you break those willingly it will be a greater sin (and some sins are greater than others). As you get closer to God your wisdom grows and so does your understanding. But forgiveness is a core tenet of christianity after all. Doesn't mean that you should abuse that forgiveness of course, by willingly sinning and then expecting to be forgiven always (you must also repent, which means you also stop doing what is bad).

Also, knowledge of a sin also plays a part. If you truly don't know something is a sin innately or haven't been taught about it, I believe there is a lessening effect on how badly God looks at you. If you know full and well that something is a sin and still willingly commit it, the sin is worse for you than perhaps someone else who didn't know better, because you committed the sin with full knowledge that it is against God.

You seem to me to just want the truth. However you get it is up to you. Read the bible if you wish, or watch youtube clips on christianity, listen to NDE stories (Near Death Experience), buy books written by scholars (there's a lot of great books written by priests who shed light on many issues which may confuse the layman). Use your own intellect, there's a lot of bullshit out there too. And pray to God for truth, and you shall receive.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

So I should read the Bible, interpret it myself and ask more questions? Doing this does not immediately damn me to Hell.

The KJV is version I own, it can be exhausting to read. I will look into the version you have recommended.

Thank you for taking time to respond in full, I'm not an atheist or trying to pick fights. I'm just wary and want a fuller picture before I dive in. I do believe there has to be something, existence is too confusing otherwise. The other religions that believe in God don't align with my personal morals which is why I am leaning towards Christianity.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Boontaker wrote: October 5th, 2023, 11:44
So I should read the Bible, interpret it myself and ask more questions? Doing this does not immediately damn me to Hell.
Correct. God will never punish you for sincerely seeking the Truth.
The Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 7, Verses 7-11 wrote:
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
garren

Post by garren »

So I should read the Bible, interpret it myself and ask more questions?
Read it if you wish to start with that, although as you learn more you are going to run into many Bible passages anyway even if you don't have an actual copy. The full Bible is on the internet and even using other sources you are going to run into some of the passages eventually. As for interpretation, you should seek to understand the Bible as truthfully and honestly as you can without trying to twist the meaning or somehow use the passages as an excuse to do bad.
Doing this does not immediately damn me to Hell.
Lol no. Seeking the truth is good.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The ten commandments existed to show man how incapable he is of living righteously. If you try to live by the ten commandments you are putting yourself back under the law and condemning yourself, only faith in Jesus can redeem a person. Jesus fulfilled the law and narrowed it down to two which people can still barely handle.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

I'm not laughing at all, I'm asking questions. Seeking knowledge, and you are spitting venom in my face. Which page is that from?
Oh no no no, I can see through this. You see it's mighty coincidental that suddenly there's this influx of people that wanna come back home to the Big Man's House after they spent years helping get us to this dire point. You said it yourself, you believe in Jesus but don't affiliate to any specific denomination. That makes you a fence-sitter and by proxy a bitch.

You're just like every cowardly old piece of SHIT that spent a lifetime being a punk and now that he sees his time is coming and is scratching and clawing and crying and begging for Lord Christ to let him on in. It's pathetic. There's no room for crybabies in Heaven, pal.

I got something to tell you though: God hates you. The whole belief God unerringly loves all and forgives all is some hippie mumbo-jumbo likely birthed in a psychedelic homosexual rave. If you want salvation for being a faithless whore then you better do a lot of good deeds from now until your judgment. And I don't mean helping some old bitch cross the street, I mean defending our Lord against all the sodomites and freaks and garbage-tier humans out there. I wanna see you set fire to abortion clinics, clap and cheer when they close the lid on a soldier's cheap pine coffin, commit righteous assault to the homosexuals, all that.

You know what? Ask @Kalin to educate you more on this. I'm tired of you. You're not gonna do anything to prove to God you're worthy of His divine mercy from what I can see. Just another damn leech looking to steal my angels and Philadelphia cream cheese. Fuck you.

God bless.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: October 5th, 2023, 12:53
Oh no no no, I can see through this. You see it's mighty coincidental that suddenly there's this influx of people that wanna come back home to the Big Man's House after they spent years helping get us to this dire point. You said it yourself, you believe in Jesus but don't affiliate to any specific denomination. That makes you a fence-sitter and by proxy a bitch.

You're just like every cowardly old piece of SHIT that spent a lifetime being a punk and now that he sees his time is coming and is scratching and clawing and crying and begging for Lord Christ to let him on in. It's pathetic. There's no room for crybabies in Heaven, pal.

I got something to tell you though: God hates you. The whole belief God unerringly loves all and forgives all is some hippie mumbo-jumbo likely birthed in a psychedelic homosexual rave. If you want salvation for being a faithless whore then you better do a lot of good deeds from now until your judgment. And I don't mean helping some old bitch cross the street, I mean defending our Lord against all the sodomites and freaks and garbage-tier humans out there. I wanna see you set fire to abortion clinics, clap and cheer when they close the lid on a soldier's cheap pine coffin, commit righteous assault to the homosexuals, all that.

You know what? Ask @Kalin to educate you more on this. I'm tired of you. You're not gonna do anything to prove to God you're worthy of His divine mercy from what I can see. Just another damn leech looking to steal my angels and Philadelphia cream cheese. Fuck you.

God bless.
I didn't realize this was militant Christian reddit, 1 down vote for my hurt feelings.

Which commandment says I should kill or terrorize anyone? You a muslim?

You reek of projection and your enraged outburst makes me think you're a boomer or Gen-x who can't grasp that everything you just described is your generations fault. Keep pushing your responsibilities on others, it's all you're good at.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

GGS posts are designed to enrage you. Just ignore him.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

If you decide to read the bible, check out the new English translation. It's the most accurate translation in my opinion, has thousands of TL notes, and is available online for free. It's a much easier to read translation than KJV.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Are there any publishers without jews or boards deciding such and such verse is offensive?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: October 5th, 2023, 12:53

God bless.
Are you?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

OP you need to go to church. Denomination stuff isn't a big deal as long as there's no women/fag preachers.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Acrux wrote: October 5th, 2023, 14:49
GGS posts are designed to enrage you. Just ignore him.
Acrux's posts are the most ice-cold takes that you often sit there wondering if this spineless fucker is posting from a morgue slab. He's a shining example of why Christianity is a loser religion that rainbow hairs can freely mock with zero comeuppance.

Look OP, you can listen to these kumbaya pussies or you can find your faith, find your balls, and start making a real change out there. God didn't destroy Sodom and Gomorrah or summon Biblical floods because he loved Acrux's faggot ancestors that much he just wanted to give them a wild wave pool ride and accidentally sent them on a one way trip to Atlantis.

God makes no mistakes, and he doesn't love you "just because." Earn it, bitch-boy.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I love hyper angry autists all wrestling over if Sky Daddy loves them still especially while agents of chaos try to preach the word.

:)
WhiteShark wrote: October 5th, 2023, 08:40
You cannot be a Christian by yourself. To be a Christian means to be a member of the body of Christ. The ten commandments are a baseline; Christ's teachings go far beyond them. It is the difference between natural virtue and holiness.

Were a man stranded in the desert with nothing but the ten commandments and his faith in Christ, I think God would have mercy on that man; had the same man full access to both the Church and the rest of the Bible but rejected them, I would fear greatly for his salvation.
Church is wherever two people are gathered sharing the word. The modern institution is worthless and mainly used for fundraising for fireworks.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

General Reign wrote: October 7th, 2023, 05:59
Church is wherever two people are gathered sharing the word.
I assume you're thinking of this passage:
The Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 18, Verses 19-20 wrote:
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
But that says nothing about the Church. This is what Saint Ignatius, friend and disciple of the Apostles, wrote about the Church:
Epistle to the Smyrnaeans wrote:
See that ye all follow bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.
You cannot have the Church without the clergy as ordained by the Apostles.
The modern institution is worthless and mainly used for fundraising for fireworks.
The factuality of this statement depends greatly upon which institution you mean.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

WhiteShark wrote: October 7th, 2023, 06:21
Church is wherever two people are gathered sharing the word.
I assume you're thinking of this passage:
The Gospel according to Saint Matthew, Chapter 18, Verses 19-20 wrote:
Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
But that says nothing about the Church. This is what Saint Ignatius, friend and disciple of the Apostles, wrote about the Church:
Epistle to the Smyrnaeans wrote:
See that ye all follow bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.
You cannot have the Church without the clergy as ordained by the Apostles.
The modern institution is worthless and mainly used for fundraising for fireworks.
The factuality of this statement depends greatly upon which institution you mean.
The clergy are a bunch of kiddy fuckers without real jobs.

:lol:
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

General Reign aka Micah Ogle is a tribeless, unemployed gimp-fucking ghoul with a urine fetish. He also claims to know black magic but can't use this immense sorcery to cure his crippled state.

The reason why his reply above was so brief is because all churches in his vicinity have yet to build wheelchair accessible ramps. Now fuck off, Lt. Dan.

Edit: Have a blessed Sunday and remember to say your prayers.