We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Thread for people who want to play RPGHQ pnp games

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
Ryles

Post by Ryles »

I'm shilling - God forbid - on my first post.

I've been building a fresh system for the last several months. It's been playtested and overhauled multiple times but it's close to a concrete foundation and I'd love to get perspectives from more people.

The setting is an alien-heavy sci-fi/magic mashup.

There are only three core stats and all of them triple as character competence, health pools, and resources for making big plays.

Your character has a deck of cards with his/her combat abilities and a deck of cards used for resolving non-combat challenges.

Combat has you drawing from your deck and playing abilities from your hand.

Movement is unbelievably simple: Your character occupies one of four "spheres" that may also be occupied by allies / enemies. You can move between spheres to set up abilities and heal your stats.

I'd be happy to set up a RAAAAH HUMANITY session, thinking this crowd might enjoy that rather than playing new species.

The only catch is that Tabletop Simulator is just about the only digital place it works particularly well - but everyone who's played so far has had fun!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Ryles wrote: December 18th, 2023, 04:53
Your character has a deck of cards with his/her combat abilities and a deck of cards used for resolving non-combat challenges.

Combat has you drawing from your deck and playing abilities from your hand.
Haha, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post on /tg/ about your system. Does it actually feel like an RPG or more like, well, a card game?
Ryles

Post by Ryles »

WhiteShark wrote: December 18th, 2023, 05:12
Haha, I'm pretty sure I've seen you post on /tg/ about your system. Does it actually feel like an RPG or more like, well, a card game?
Doesn't surprise me! It's still got that collaborative open-ended storytelling outside of combat. Inside of combat, there are cards you can play to improv something the way you'd ask "can I give him testicular torsion with mage hand?" in order to attempt something slick / cockamamie. In the last playtest I ran a murder mystery for the group to run the skill check system through the wringer.
Wretch wrote: December 18th, 2023, 05:36
Shilling on his first post. This guy operates on another level.
Playtesting with no RPG publishing history is a dark road. You crawl through the gutters looking for rats to give you more than a passing glance, and if they so much as hiss at you it's better than nothing.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Are you trying to make something like Etherlords?

I can't exactly tell how is this going to work?

And people are going to abuse deck-building mechanics. Are you ready for this?
Ryles

Post by Ryles »

Never heard of it. I've had a lot of people draw comparisons to Gloomwood when they hear the concept but that's a damn far cry from this.
The_Mask wrote: December 19th, 2023, 01:04
I can't exactly tell how is this going to work?
There's no short answer to that question, but I invite you to find out!
The_Mask wrote: December 19th, 2023, 01:04
And people are going to abuse deck-building mechanics. Are you ready for this?
God I hope they abuse the hell out of it. I'm accounting for absurdity with deck limits and limiting designations i.e. you can only have X of Y type of card - that sort of thing.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

I would gladly play but I don’t have tabletop simulator.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

I have a medieval-fantasy setting that I've been using since 2017 (2 long campaigns played with codexers back then) and I'm going to start a CYOA/text adventure with stats on it and drop it at "HQ Plays", see how much interest it generates here. Eventually might springboard this into p&p RPG adventures/campaign.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 14:40
This sounds really sad. Make friends irl lmao
My irl friends are not into RPGs, or even videogames in general.
Wulfnor

Post by Wulfnor »

Irenaeus wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 14:34
I have a medieval-fantasy setting that I've been using since 2017 (2 long campaigns played with codexers back then) and I'm going to start a CYOA/text adventure with stats on it and drop it at "HQ Plays", see how much interest it generates here. Eventually might springboard this into p&p RPG adventures/campaign.
Let me know when you do that I would be interested playing.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 14:40
This sounds really sad. Make friends irl lmao
have an irl gf first lol