We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

X series

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

X series

Post by rusty_shackleford »

tell me about these games
which ones let me have a crew of people flying ships for me
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

i played x2 for a few hours and didn't get it
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've tried a few of these and they all seem like shit. Searching other forums makes them sound like shit too, so it's not just me.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

My only experience with the X series was the original one (X: Beyond the Frontier), its an ok game but I'm not sure how well it would hold up today, may be a bit basic compared to more recent space trading sims.

The game is mostly just flying from one place to another, buy low sell high. There is a plot but you'll be spending most of your time trading cargo.

From what I've read the newer X games are a bit buggy like what you would encounter in a Bethesda game which is what has kept me away from them.

rusty_shackleford wrote: September 25th, 2023, 22:04
I believe you can have large fleets under your command in the 3rd game X3: Reunion, but haven't confirmed it personally.

If you mean a crew controlling your own large ship which you command while they staff it, I think that was the later entry in the series X Rebirth. I haven't played it but it seems that players either love or hate that game based on the fact that you only pilot just that single large command ship directly during the game.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

SpellSword wrote: September 25th, 2023, 23:46
I haven't played it but it seems that players either love or hate that game based on the fact that you only pilot just that single large command ship directly during the game.
But can we sexually harass our all-female crew infront of our male orderly?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Is this X: Rebirth?
What a shit title for a game btw, makes it unsearchable.

Is X4 any good? Do people usually play it modded?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 24th, 2024, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 24th, 2024, 18:05
Is this X: Rebirth?
What a shit title for a game btw, makes it unsearchable.

Is X4 any good? Do people usually play it modded?
You have to mod it just to correct all the broken shit Egosoft left in the game, last time I played which was awhile ago any time you were in the same sector as your automated workers they'd fuck up because the game can't track them in real time properly. X4 has an absolute horrible UI with way too many menus to try and get to simple functions.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Emphyrio wrote: September 25th, 2023, 22:29
i played x2 for a few hours and didn't get it
Privateer style game play. It is slow, boring, and uneventful if you aren't into that style of game. If you can get into it, the game is vast and long in its play with numerous details to explore and develop.

I always wanted to get heavily into it, but kept putting it off for a good hotas/wide monitor setup to play. Once I got that, I realized the engine has hard coded FOV that can't be changed (not that I could find) and it creates a fish bowl look for very wide screens. Too bad though, because wide screens are amazing for driving/space sims.
Last edited by Xenich on March 24th, 2024, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

is there a de-negro mod for this game?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 24th, 2024, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

I really like space sims but every time I take a deep look into X it just brushes me the wrong way
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I really enjoyed OG X and X2, had a hard time getting into X3 and moved onto X4 which would be a great game if Egosoft focused less on walking around spaceships and more on fixing the damn game.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I remember being a lad and signing up for a website that sent me a physical copy of X3: Reunion for free. The Internet used to be good.