Vampire Survivors & other Jack Me Into the Device And Turn My Brain Off-lites

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

looking forward to Army of Ruin, has a nice art style and seems to be getting good updates. Waiting for full release though
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Isn't this the game paying dough to that Trans elephant or whatever creature it identifies as?
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Ratcatcher wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 22:28
Isn't this the game paying dough to that Trans elephant or whatever creature it identifies as?
Yes, Jim Stephanie Sterling. They announced xer hiring after everyone had paid for the game.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 22:54
Yes, Jim Stephanie Sterling. They announced xer hiring after everyone had paid for the game.
/me puts this on the do not buy list.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 22:54
not everyone... heh
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I've bought a lot of the games that sukh and gregz recommended.

None of them have really stuck with me so far. Some are better than others, but army of ruins is a decent attempt at making a game. It might be good in time, but I wouldn't buy it just yet thinking it is an equal to vampire survivors.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

I just think the game is a bit unrealistic. It's called Vampire Survivors and features many transgender lore bits - and statistically, they're the least likely to survive.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

krokodil wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 18:09
looking forward to Army of Ruin, has a nice art style and seems to be getting good updates. Waiting for full release though
It's fun, but not as deep as VS.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I don't see the appeal of these games and now they're everywhere.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Tweed wrote: February 6th, 2023, 09:36
I don't see the appeal of these games and now they're everywhere.
It's one of those easy games that any one can play, but it still has enough mechanics depth to be fun.

Some of my relatives have kids that are under 10 who play this game, and old people play it also. It just seems like the type of game that is accessible to most people, and as Jenkem likes to point out, its trans-inclusive so it gets lots of media coverage.

It's also available on consoles now too.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

This is one of the finest examples of voting with your wallet, for me at least. I saw the game in video and it looked fun, watched a friend play and decided to buy (the weird pasta nomenclature being reason enough). Then discovered where they spend their money and just decided to "no thanks" it.

Game looks good but my backlog is too long already, without paying hormone cakes for the fat landwhale. I consider JS to be a particular kind of degenerate since I actually agree with many of his past takes on AAA gamedevs, once it transitioned tho, evrything was about mean meanies doing mean things to poor gentle transjabba. Talk about shooting one's foot.

Nb: I wasn't following its channel before either, it's just the fat slob' opinion where plastered everywhere and it happens I agree on a point or two. Objectivity is a must.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I haven't touched VS since Jim Sterling was announced as a writer. I was already getting a little bored of it and that's what pushed me over the edge. There's a Chinese rip-off called Crimson Dawn that I've played on and off that looks like it could one day be promising.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

getting the itch to play one of these but not sure what.. I already own Army of Ruin but I'm waiting for full release or at least when they add cheevos (since they said they will add cheevos when all the content is done, then focus on bug fixing before full release) I enjoyed the AoR's devs other games (namely Ziggurat and Ziggurat 2) so I'm confident it will be good when finished. Also checking out the news feed for AoR it seems they decided to add even more to the game than previously planned so that's good.

But are there any that are finished and out of Early Access besides VS?
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Also I wish there was a tag for this kind of game on steam because I see a lot of people elsewhere adding titles like "Brotato" to the list but AFAIK that's just a standard twinstick shooter/action roguelite
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

krokodil wrote: February 15th, 2023, 19:57
Also I wish there was a tag for this kind of game on steam because I see a lot of people elsewhere adding titles like "Brotato" to the list but AFAIK that's just a standard twinstick shooter/action roguelite
Idle game?
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 15th, 2023, 20:36
krokodil wrote: February 15th, 2023, 19:57
Idle game?
the runescape thread is that way --->
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Vampire Survivors is rightfully dead to me now that Jim Sterling is involved.

Long live anime waifu Time Wasters
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

Veg Out Games
Vegcore
Broccoli Simulators
Jack Me Into the Device And Turn My Brain Off-lites
Number-Go-Upems
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2023, 01:33
Does this genre have a name btw?
I saw a Steam review in Japanese that called it 'enemy curtain' (敵幕 tekimaku) to differentiate it from the typical SHMUP which is called a 'bullet curtain' (弾幕 danmaku).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

WhiteShark wrote: March 13th, 2023, 17:55
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 13th, 2023, 01:33
Does this genre have a name btw?
I saw a Steam review in Japanese that called it 'enemy curtain' (敵幕 tekimaku) to differentiate it from the typical SHMUP which is called a 'bullet curtain' (弾幕 danmaku).
so… enemy hell?