We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Google Search is collapsing

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Spam filters also seem to be failing. Hotmail was perfect a few years ago. Now it lets in something every day.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Spam filters are going to become obsolete very soon now that everyone and their mother can use AI to generate convincing text.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: June 15th, 2023, 01:20
Spam filters are going to become obsolete very soon now that everyone and their mother can use AI to generate convincing text.
Correct, because bots will get filtered out by AI detection algorithms. Cloudflare already replaced their captcha with an example of it.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

jcd wrote: June 13th, 2023, 09:11
Phos wrote: June 13th, 2023, 08:40
jcd wrote: June 12th, 2023, 13:21
It's the opposite, they have a lot of very talented people, but they're rudderless, because a pajeet is at the wheel. That's what pajeets do to companies, which is a conversation for another time.
I'd love to hear about it. Here or in a new thread. :thumbsup:
I can start a new thread later and talk about it in more detail. Basically, once a company has indians in positions of any power, the company's main purpose will now be to replicate and uphold the indian caste system at the expense of actual business goals.
If this turns out to be a repost of Moldbug's old rant against Brahmins I swear to God...
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Probably going to be about how Indians, no matter how smart they are, are inherently nepotistic. Which is why India sucks, and why they make terrible immigrants who will bring their 900 person family to your country and exclusively lobby for and employ other indians regardless of how skilled or smart they are.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

All I need to know about India is they all (the poor caste I suppose) shit in the street/stream together like barbarians. I filter everything else through that lens and it has truly shined light on how doomed this world is.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

We do the same thing with more layers of obfuscation.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Yeah I hope we choke on it.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Agent Smith talks about huma....nonwhites to Morpheus while holding him hostage.

Hey Sam Hyde.

General Reign

Post by General Reign »

That scene is one of the best scenes in cinema when it comes to tension. You would never imagine the weirdo that did Matrix 4 had anything to do with it.

"It's the smell."
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Agent Smiths anti-zionist rhetoric could get him banned from twitter.

Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

wndrbr wrote: June 15th, 2023, 01:20
What difference does it make whether the AI generated the text or not? Whether or not something is spam is determined by the content of the text, not who generated it. If you're trying to sell me something or get me to give you money, you're spam. If you're from a source that has no legitimate reason to contact me, you're spam. It doesn't matter whether you were written by AI or human. Spam is spam.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Startpage is broken now for me. It's supposed to produce unpersonalized Google results but it keeps ignoring quotation marks in my searches even when Google itself doesn't. Despite the current state of Google I may have to start using it again simply because I haven't found any other search engine that produces good results in Japanese.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

It's not just search engines what are fucked, it's pretty much everything else too, back 15, maybe even 10 years ago you could easily find a forum for talking about different subjects, now it's very hard because people have flocked to either facebook or reddit, which I can't understand because reddit is so fucking awful to use and actually prevents from having actual discussions due how the site works.

Internet nowadays is so fucking boring too, because everything's been consolidated, you can find some good shit from here and there, like there are some decent videos around different subjects in yootoob, rumble etc. but I'd rather go back to how Internet was 20 years ago.
A12

Post by A12 »

Griffin wrote: July 29th, 2023, 20:37
It's not just search engines what are fucked, it's pretty much everything else too, back 15, maybe even 10 years ago you could easily find a forum for talking about different subjects, now it's very hard because people have flocked to either facebook or reddit, which I can't understand because reddit is so fucking awful to use and actually prevents from having actual discussions due how the site works.

Internet nowadays is so fucking boring too, because everything's been consolidated, you can find some good shit from here and there, like there are some decent videos around different subjects in yootoob, rumble etc. but I'd rather go back to how Internet was 20 years ago.
it's a matter of perspective my nigga, consolidation boosts engagments for non-power users cause niggas dont need to jump through different websites for different interests/subjects. Although i get why you dont enjoy it because I don't too, but consolidation is just good for business and for the average 13 year old cyberuser.

although benefit I've noticed wuth the internet today vs the wildwest-esque-era internet is that the sites that still exist today are nicher and serve a smaller subset of people and by extension I feel are less fleeting/autistic
herkzter

Post by herkzter »

i remember when Google gave you a million search results but the most relevant results were usually the first twenty ones. now Google search just feels borderline unusable unless if it's in a good mood
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Search engines have become unusable for a while now, we are now in retarded times.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

The Age of Technological Retardation
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Only newsgroups matter, and they died a long time ago.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Dead wrote: July 30th, 2023, 17:54
Good thing I am looking back at ~20 years of well curated (read: mark-and-forget) bookmarks.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Decline wrote: July 30th, 2023, 17:58
Dead wrote: July 30th, 2023, 17:54
Good thing I am looking back at ~20 years of well curated (read: mark-and-forget) bookmarks.
Many old pages are disappearing without having been archived.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

You're basically stuck saving pages manually yourself, running an older version of firefox screengrab (screenshot scrolling in newer builds of firefox is broken) or using httrack which is unreliable. The most reliable way is probably just ctrl-a ctrl-c ctrl-v with a text editor which is kind of sad. DDG openly lets you know it's tracking you with its search results while saying it's protecting your privacy.
FPYockey

Post by FPYockey »

The algorithms have gotten worse but i also blame the decline of forums. You used to have like whirlpool owners forum and you'd get some guy who knows his shit, a lot of those have gone out.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

This doesn't explain everything, but it does explains some things: The Tyranny of the Marginal User
Last edited by WhiteShark on November 12th, 2023, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

WhiteShark wrote: November 12th, 2023, 06:06
This doesn't explain everything, but it does explains some things: The Tyranny of the Marginal User
You're not allowed to complain about regressive modern design when your website is a flashbang that doesn't exceed 15 words per line

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Oyster Sauce wrote: November 12th, 2023, 06:37
You're not allowed to complain about regressive modern design when your website is a flashbang that doesn't exceed 15 words per line
The author probably doesn't own substack, and according to @Acrux, light themes are the easiest to read.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WhiteShark wrote: November 12th, 2023, 06:06
A lot of this goes back to the concept of a "persona" - an imagined target user - that is extremely common in software development. These usually have very detailed biographies and all kinds of information about the persona's hobbies and lifestyle, favorite foods, how much is spent on pets, and so on. The persona description might also incidentally tell a few things about how whoever created it thinks people should use the product.

And most of them are made up out of the air. Oh, someone might have had an interview with one or two people (usually friends, TBH), but there's seldom any actual usage data or systematic understanding of actual users.

I've been advocating for task analysis and jobs-to-be-done as a replacement for personas for a while. That requires real work to understand current and future use of the product, gives a standardized way of collecting and reporting out data, and doesn't bring in any extraneous (and irrelevant) "facts" that are usually just ways to push an agenda.

This is all probably too much "inside baseball" but it's one more reason software is worse these days.
Last edited by Acrux on November 12th, 2023, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Google search has gotten even worse since early October.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Not to sound like a conspiracy tard but this might be a side effect of Google constantly screwing with the algorithm to make sure double plus ungood opinions and sites get buried.