We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Kingsvein (and other RadCodex games)

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 16th, 2024, 17:23
I've never once seen anyone complain about KotC1's graphics. I personally rather like the way KotC1 looks.
Aren't there like a dozen or more texture/sprite packs to choose from for that game?

Also, what's with the Ultima VI - Ultima VII mashup going on there. I'm not sure I like it.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Rand wrote: January 16th, 2024, 22:14
Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: January 16th, 2024, 15:15
If I have the desire for a Tactics game it's better to just replay Tactics Ogre or choose one of the many that came out from the mid-90s to mid-00s. At least those games I either know are good to begin with
I played Tactics Ogre.
As much as I could stand, anyway.
What is it that makes you say it's good?
Because I didn't see anything particularly good about it.
I found it dull and kinda imbalanced.
I prefer the original Tactics Ogre, not the PSP version, or current remaster.

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are pretty good as well. I enjoyed the loadout customization options in VH2, there were a lot of asymmetrical builds and strategies that you could employ.
Rand

Post by Rand »

somerandomdude wrote: January 17th, 2024, 01:30
Goth-Girl-Supremacy wrote: January 16th, 2024, 15:15
If I have the desire for a Tactics game it's better to just replay Tactics Ogre or choose one of the many that came out from the mid-90s to mid-00s. At least those games I either know are good to begin with
I played Tactics Ogre.
I prefer the original Tactics Ogre, not the PSP version, or current remaster.

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are pretty good as well. I enjoyed the loadout customization options in VH2, there were a lot of asymmetrical builds and strategies that you could employ.
I tried playing Tactics Ogre on the Super Nintendo cartridge version.
I did like Vandal Hearts and Vandal Hearts 2 well enough.
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

I played Tactics Ogre.
You mentioned playing the SNES version which I'm pretty sure has the problems of Archers being fucked beyond belief and you can pretty much destroy the difficulty of the game that way. This persists in the PSX version as well and I think in the PSP version. The recent Reborn game would probably hit better with you overall if you gave it another try but there are some things in it that I find gripes with:

-Buff cards are stupid and litter the battlefield too much. I think it's a very ugly addition and can influence a battle too much. We're talking 30% damage buffs and shit and you're expected to use these because they increased the health of everyone across the board.
-Removal of random battles. This does make sense considering there's a global level-up restriction in place for each part of the story but it's still a sore point since you're restricted to grinding what levels you have in boring training maps with the same enemy groups.
-Removal of the Rogue class. Don't know if they ever fixed this but apparently the developers "didn't have time" to rebalance the Rogue and cut it entirely which is lame because they were one of the best generic classes in the original for their steal ability alone. For the record the enemy still has access to the Rogue class but it's just flavor and they pretty much are a standard melee unit from what I remember. They never did any trap setting or mugging.
-Not too crazy on hit chances always being around 80% minimum unless debuffed or vs. a boss. I never liked the outlook that "missing FEELS bad." No shit, that's why you do things to minimize missing. This also makes stats like Agility and Avoidance pretty much pointless and certain abilities like Truestrike almost useless since you'll almost never need to overcome the low hit.
-Weather used to influence things like accuracy as well which is no longer the case in Reborn. Don't why they fucked with this since it added a layer of strategy to consider.

There are some nice things in Reborn though I don't mind:

-The game itself is more streamlined and easier to understand and you won't be fucked if you decide to switch a spellcaster into a melee class and see them have god awful stats for a melee class. It also extends to how classes learn skills, now it's just an easy to understand progression via level-ups.
-Class balance has been universally adjusted so you don't feel obligated to make a sniper party. You'll generally use a more diverse line up of classes/characters than in previous TO games since they're actually useful now. You can see the lack of cross-class skills from the PSP version as a good or bad thing. On one hand it removes a portion of customization while on the other it also makes classes more focused on what they do well.
-In some ways the game is actually more difficult than before despite the earlier TOs being more unforgiving. The lack of being able to power grind due to the enforced level caps and how every major storyline enemy begins the fight with four buff cards can cause some pretty close fights which is a lot more exciting than 2 shotting everything after investing a few hours spamming randoms.
-I remember crafting used to suck dick but it didn't feel very annoying in Reborn.

Come to think of it, OG Tactics Ogre and Reborn are different enough to warrant separate playthroughs just to see which you prefer. Usually I hate balancefagging but I think it turned out fine in this game, if only they added in Rogue and let you turn off buff cards/adjusted HP scaling for turning off buff cards I'd clear-cut like Reborn more. Right now some days I like the original and some days I like Reborn.

As for why I generally like TO though? Cool storyline, fun gameplay, good music, and great replayability. I'd argue that the game actually opens up its best stuff once you beat the story and get access to things like the Palace of the Dead, hidden character/classes, re-doing pivotal story events to see different outcomes, etc. It's a stellar Tactics game that I always enjoy wasting time with when the mood strikes for an SRPG.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

It's a decent game. I just got done clearing all the fights in the starting area and am getting ready to move on.

- No level ups, only job exp which you can use to learn new skills, passives or permanent bonuses.
- Player power will come from gear and build entirely.
- There's a dual class system.
- You can craft and mod gear.
- Maps are free roam, with multiple battles in each map, along with NPCs, chests, shortcuts, some small puzzles like shooting an arrow at a switch to unlock a room, or using the mount to push some boulders to make a bridge to get to an item, etc.
Vanger

Post by Vanger »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 16th, 2024, 17:23
re: graphics
The problem with this game is that it has very, very poor readability, not the graphical fidelity. There are plenty of zero-budget RPGs that have high readability.

I've never once seen anyone complain about KotC1's graphics. I personally rather like the way KotC1 looks.
KotC uses that ugly Ultima 6 diagonal perspective, I hated looked at it. KOTC2 literally uses either board game tokens or some cheap unity assets.

Radcodex games look like bad/early SNES games; not quite fully 16 bit, but richer colors than the NES. Probably just the best a guy could do on his own and not able to spend a lot of money; Jeff Vogel has written why he thinks spending much on art assets is a waste for indies.

The problem with this game is it's set in some kind of underdark world, so it's dark. Despite this, Kingsvein is super fun, if you like tactics RPGs.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vanger wrote: January 21st, 2024, 20:26
ugly Ultima 6 diagonal perspective,
you are never going to be my friend
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Shillitron wrote: January 16th, 2024, 17:49
What's wrong with good graphics?

Why don't we expect this from devs anymore?

If your indie trash pixel game is getting mogged by Ultima 7 / SNES ERA / Lands of Lore / ect.. then you don't deserve to release it.

Use AI or hire an artist lazy faggots.

> " Red Dot that jiggles left and right is the main character of a 70 hour RPG"
> Guys the gameplay is good.. preorder

In this case because this is a solo dev.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

@WhiteShark @Tweed - what are your mod lists for Horizon's Gate? I'm currently using:

Roll for Initiative
Elite Passives
Royal Item Boons
Mafe (Re)Reworked Trainers (No new Classes/Dungeons)
Port Location of Species - All Species Found in Central Seas
Species Diversity
Resources (greg_murrell) [required for above]
Quest CrewXP
Sailing Fast Forward
Eliter Fleets
Super Gusts
Farming

BTW, I read that he's planning another HG update soon. I wasn't sure if it was just bugfixes or something more, but like WhiteShark hearing that for a game makes me put it off for a while.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I haven't actually started but Tweed recommended me:
  • RadCodex's official mods except the silly one;
  • everything by Prominence except the initiative mods (he hasn't tried them);
  • this MiscTweaks mod to help with the money grind;
  • Paul's mods;
  • and he said Mafe's are 'hit and miss'.
Since I haven't played at all yet and Prominence's mods alone are a huge amount of content, I stopped after the first three.
Acrux wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 04:59
BTW, I read that he's planning another HG update soon. I wasn't sure if it was just bugfixes or something more, but like WhiteShark hearing that for a game makes me put it off for a while.
Gosh darnit, and I was almost ready to fire it up. Did he post that on Codex or something? I may have to go pester him for details so I can decide whether to start or not.

EDIT: we also talked a little about Wrax's class mods, but Tweed didn't seem to remember them, so I guess they didn't stand out too much either way.
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 2nd, 2024, 05:43, edited 2 times in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Last time I played I used:

Royal Item Boons
Greater Gusts
Sailing Fast Forward
Most of Prominence's mods
Most of Paul's mods
Quest CrewXP
Head Plus
A bunch of class mods but I can't remember which ones I liked and which ones were either useless or OP
Profitable Player Port
Misctweaks
Stat Booster Shop
Farming
Craft Aerstone Armor
Rand

Post by Rand »

Acrux wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 04:59
Fuck me, I just started playing this.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Tweed wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 05:54
Most of Paul's mods
With the exceptions of?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Rand wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 10:43
Tweed wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 05:54
Most of Paul's mods
With the exceptions of?
Whichever ones I didn't use at the time, this was over two years ago.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WhiteShark wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 05:41
Did he post that on Codex or something?
Do you mean did I read it in a post from RadCodex? Yes. I don't know what other codex you might be referring to.

I've decided that I don't really like most of the class or dungeon mods for Horizon's Gate. (Although I wouldn't mind one that changes Bat Handler to something more like a druid with different animal summons.) I've just settled for those that change mechanics I find interesting.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Acrux wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 16:59
Do you mean did I read it in a post from RadCodex? Yes. I don't know what other codex you might be referring to.
Ok, let me rephrase: where did you read that? I can't find anything about plans for future Horizon's Gate patches.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Wait, what?
Really?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Rand wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 18:28
Wait, what?
Really?
The class first appeared in Alvora Tactics, though I never really used it because the game is short and the class unlocks late.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WhiteShark wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 17:59
Acrux wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 16:59
Ok, let me rephrase: where did you read that? I can't find anything about plans for future Horizon's Gate patches.
It was in a thread on how Kingsvein isn't as good as the older games. Last paragraph.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2276830/ ... 0642710109

Rad Codex wrote:
Hey guys, thank you all for trying the game and giving your honest feedback. I expected Kingsvein would not necessarily be a hit with every player that enjoyed Horizon's Gate since it is very intentionally striking in a different direction. The big changing of mechanics and other aspects naturally means some people will prefer one set over the other. And Sigvuld puts it well when he says:
Sigvuld wrote:
I really do agree on it feeling like a big step back from Horizon's Gate - I was hoping for more, not drastically less. The raw quality of the game is still there, but there's, again, just... so much less.
Kingsvein is definitely a much smaller game than Horizon's Gate. HG was built on 2 other games' worth of content, and then I spent a full extra year (and then some) after release adding more stuff to it. It's perfectly fine to prefer the vastness of HG to Kingsvein. Or to prefer one set of mechanics or aesthetics to the other.

(As an aside, the reason I completely redid everything is because I worked on games with the same combat system for 8 years. I can't rest unless I mix it up sometimes!)

I plan to continue patching both Kingsvein and Horizon's Gate - and when I make more games, they won't necessarily be Kingsvein-style. In the meantime, thank you all for supporting these little games, and please keep giving me feedback!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Kingsvein just added Steam Workshop support.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@Acrux I'm not sure if you're aware, but a bunch of those Prominence class mods also add extra dungeons and such, so you may find them worth using even if you don't care for the classes themselves; I think he may even have a mod that leaves the content but disables the classes if you don't even want to see them in the UI. I find his mods to be of sufficient quality that I can't tell without checking which areas are his and which are from the base game. His mods add so much content that he recommends turning down the XP slider to 75% if you use his collection. I put it down to 50% before reading his recommendation and I think I'll stick with it. I'm enjoying the slower ramp up.

I considered adding GrOverhaul, which makes groves contain more rooms, fights, and rewards, but as it is I already avoid about half the grove battles anyway because they're so hard on RUIN. I also looked at the species diversity mod you mentioned; it's an interesting concept, but I feel it would render some species completely unusable. Take the Diecast, for example:
Species Diversity Mod Manual wrote:
Pro: +10 HP, +3 (Mg.)Atk
Con: +10 Time, -1 Jump
Element: Resist Fire/Wind, Weak to Ice/Water
Wet, Chill, and Frozen last longer. Immune to Ice Carapace.
Other: Bulwark (immune to push, pull, rotate, negative morale)
Blockade (inflict -Move to enemy in front of you when ending turn)
Stunning Blow (Stun for 2 Time when attack with fist, whip, hammer)
To me, those bonuses don't seem worth +10 Time.

Also, two important UI functions I discovered on accident:
  • You can click and drag items to the stash icon in the top right to dump them in quickly, even mixed groups of cargo and items;
  • You can do the same even faster by holding shift and left clicking items, sending them directly to the stash.
I'm serious considering trying my hand at modding myself. I went through the whole mod list on the Workshop and ended up installing a bunch. Some are neat ideas but have aspects I don't like. For example, the blackjack mod adds an NPC with whom you can play blackjack, and as far as that goes it's very well done. The annoying part is that the mod creator added him to every single port, including ports from popular mods. I think it would have been better off as a function added to tavern masters, or as a handful of different NPCs in the capitals only.
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 16th, 2024, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

@Tweed is there a method in Horizon's Gate to permanently increase the movespeed of your PCs? In Voidspire you could buy up movespeed with *s and in Alvora you could buy a training that gave a permanent global +1, but I haven't encountered anything like that in Horizon's Gate so far and it's making me wonder if I should invest in a party of snake people.
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 18th, 2024, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

WhiteShark wrote: February 17th, 2024, 20:04
@Tweed is there a method in Horizon's Gate to permanently increase the movespeed of your PCs? In Voidspire you could buy up movespeed with *s and in Alvora you could buy a training that gave a permanent global +1, but I haven't encountered anything like that in Horizon's Gate so far and it's making me wonder if I should invest in a party of snkae people.
I honestly can't remember, but I don't think so. Most of my crew were aphests.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

100 hours into Horizon's Gate and I only just now noticed that the bonuses from duplicate accessories don't stack. :groan:
Last edited by WhiteShark on February 22nd, 2024, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.