RPGs with a good/ in depth faction mechanic

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Cogemeister

RPGs with a good/ in depth faction mechanic

Post by Cogemeister »

I’m looking for some RPGs with emphasis on factions.
Games like Fallout and (and especially skyrim) have options to join one or multiple factions, but in Skyrim for example you can join the Dark Brotherhood and thieves guild and aren’t necessarily locked out of joining other factions. You can join the Stormcloaks but still walk through Solitide. The only RPG I’ve played of late that choosing a faction actually meant something is Outer Worlds, if you joined the Board NPCs would reach differenty towards you, some even being hostile.
Are there RPGs where you don’t have access to base(s) until you join that faction, and once you do other factions are inaccessible or hostile?
Anon

Post by Anon »

Morrowind has a pretty deep faction system
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I was going to link the Starfield wiki factions page as a joke but the website is dead
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Cogemeister wrote: May 10th, 2024, 02:21
Are there RPGs where you don’t have access to base(s) until you join that faction, and once you do other factions are inaccessible or hostile?
Gothic/Risen/ELEX
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 10th, 2024, 02:30
I was going to link the Starfield wiki factions page as a joke but the website is dead
I guess the wiki website dies along with its corresponding game.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Seconding Tweed, none do it as well as Piranha Bytes. Adding on the fan-made Chronicles of Myrtana.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Geneforge: Mutagen (1). There are several exclusive factions that are hostile to one another.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant has competing factions. The party can choose, for example, to join the T'Rang or the Umpani or play them against each other. This element carries over in Wizardry 8, as well.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Deadfire would have been a contender if it was made by 2008 Obsidian. The system in place was designed for something that could have been made by them, but the team making the game wasn't competent enough to make something good with it.

Would like to see this expanded upon e.g., more minor factions of the major ones, relations between those minor ones, and individual reputation for important members of factions.