We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hooray: Shitty gamedevs being fired thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WaterMage wrote: May 9th, 2024, 21:52
imagine that you are working in warhorse studio
Okay. I do. Upon the realization that I'm eurotrash, I kill myself.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

we need a thread on how Xbox keeps losing, but i'm too lazy to make it.

Last edited by aweigh on May 9th, 2024, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

SoLong wrote: May 9th, 2024, 19:53
Segata wrote: May 9th, 2024, 15:35
https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft- ... t-bethesda

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, Hi-Fi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda
:toot: :toot: :toot:

Redfall was a badly ported mess (Lyla Ellison deserves the chair just for existing) and Hi-Fi Rush was just another generic music game with tacked on "corporations need to be run by benevolent powerwomen!" messaging.
Agree. Hi-Fi Rush wasn't unique or good. It was another mediocre game hyped by casuals in a shit year.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Breathe wrote: May 10th, 2024, 01:33
Segata wrote: May 9th, 2024, 15:35
https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft- ... t-bethesda

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, Hi-Fi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

Redfall was a badly ported mess (Lyla Ellison deserves the chair just for existing) and Hi-Fi Rush was just another generic music game with tacked on "corporations need to be run by benevolent powerwomen!" messaging.
Agree. Hi-Fi Rush wasn't unique or good. It was another mediocre game hyped by casuals in a shit year.
i absolutely hated the rhythm mechanic. made doing combos/attacks super boring and tedious.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

aweigh wrote: May 10th, 2024, 02:06
Breathe wrote: May 10th, 2024, 01:33

i absolutely hated the rhythm mechanic. made doing combos/attacks super boring and tedious.
If you want an actual music game with good music but no annoying rythm mechanic try No Straight Roads. The game flirts with the anti-corporate rebel musician bs but flips the issue on its head in a way I found rather surprising. (I'd still insist that the leading duo deserves to be fined out the ass for the damage they did but oh well.)
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

The best relative modern RPG`s are from Europe(UnderRail, KDC, etc) or Asia(Elden Ring). US can`t produce any good RPG since 2010.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

WaterMage wrote: May 11th, 2024, 03:56
The best relative modern RPG`s are from Europe(UnderRail, KDC, etc) or Asia(Elden Ring). US can`t produce any good RPG since 2010.
knights of the chalice was 2009... dang.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Wasteland 3 is one of the better RPGs made in recent years.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

So far you haven't listed any good games.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Acrux wrote: May 11th, 2024, 05:06
So far you haven't listed any good games.
List the good games in your opinion.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

aweigh wrote: May 9th, 2024, 23:36
we need a thread on how Xbox keeps losing, but i'm too lazy to make it.

These same normie fuckwits will have the same baffled expression when nuclear reactors start melting down, and will call you racist when you post a picture of the staff that was in the control room when the disaster happened.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

It's pretty simple.
Software development doesn't scale, and video games are software. It's a major reason why Bethesda was capable of producing Morrowind with 40 people, Skyrim with 90, and Starfield had at least 500 in-house developers, not including third-party contractors.
This is, of course, ignoring the fact that many of the employees are unfit for the job they have or were hired for reasons unrelated to merit.

I also reject the notion that most of these are artists, because games don't look any better than they did 10 years ago. There's a few outliers, sure, but Starfield does not look better than Fallout 4, and the game itself is significantly smaller. You will completely struggle to find a game that entered development post-GG that looks as good as the final round of pre-GG games ~2014-2017.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 11th, 2024, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 11th, 2024, 12:26
I also reject the notion that most of these are artists
They're not - most assets in AAA games nowadays are shat out by asset farms located in India, or some other poor brown shithole.

In fact, so many aspects of game development are outsourced in AAA games that I'm not even sure what exactly the in-house Bethesda employees even do.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

gerey wrote: May 11th, 2024, 12:36
I also reject the notion that most of these are artists
They're not - most assets in AAA games nowadays are shat out by asset farms located in India, or some other poor brown shithole.

In fact, so many aspects of game development are outsourced in AAA games that I'm not even sure what exactly the in-house Bethesda employees even do.
don't forget they even outsource the fucking writing now too
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

It's pretty simple.
Software development doesn't scale, and video games are software. It's a major reason why Bethesda was capable of producing Morrowind with 40 people, Skyrim with 90, and Starfield had at least 500 in-house developers, not including third-party contractors.
This is, of course, ignoring the fact that many of the employees are unfit for the job they have or were hired for reasons unrelated to merit.

I also reject the notion that most of these are artists, because games don't look any better than they did 10 years ago. There's a few outliers, sure, but Starfield does not look better than Fallout 4, and the game itself is significantly smaller. You will completely struggle to find a game that entered development post-GG that looks as good as the final round of pre-GG games ~2014-2017.
Mythical man month
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

seriously what the fuck do 500-800 employees even do for 5-10 years of "dev time"?

capcom said they had 800 people working on resident evil 2 remake, and sure the game came out amazing but you see indie devs consisting of 1 or 2 people pump out these RE2-likes (like Daymare and Daymare 2) like it's nothing.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

All of these developers getting fired should learn to code, lmao.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

logincrash wrote: May 11th, 2024, 14:43
That's probably the actual problem lol. They get hired without skills necessary and have to learn on the job (and most don't I'm sure). No wonder it takes 5+ years for 100+ teams to make some shitty sequel. None of them know what they're doing.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Breathe wrote: May 11th, 2024, 14:50
logincrash wrote: May 11th, 2024, 14:43
That's probably the actual problem lol. They get hired without skills necessary and have to learn on the job (and most don't I'm sure). No wonder it takes 5+ years for 100+ teams to make some shitty sequel. None of them know what they're doing.
Being hired without skills in the game industry would be a sign of extreme nepotism and nobody should feel bad for anyone that lucky who fails to earn that position after the fact.

The game industry is notoriously awash with idealistic job applicants. Many of whom who have self-taught the skills required.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

J1M wrote: May 11th, 2024, 15:27
The game industry is notoriously awash with idealistic job applicants.
lmao, no.

That was the case 20 years ago, but nowadays the industry is awash with diversity hires that despise games, despise gamers, despise the very idea of (White, heterosexual) men having fun, and desperately wish they could be in Hollywood.

Passionate people that lack talent/training can make flawed, but still entertaining games, but that's not what we are seeing here. Instead, it's spiteful Marxists doing their best to poison the well and ruin games for everyone.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

gerey wrote: May 11th, 2024, 15:42
The game industry is notoriously awash with idealistic job applicants.
lmao, no.

That was the case 20 years ago, but nowadays the industry is awash with diversity hires that despise games, despise gamers, despise the very idea of (White, heterosexual) men having fun, and desperately wish they could be in Hollywood.

Passionate people that lack talent/training can make flawed, but still entertaining games, but that's not what we are seeing here. Instead, it's spiteful Marxists doing their best to poison the well and ruin games for everyone.
The applicants are still there.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I don't understand how anybody could idealize gamedev. If my office was in a sun room, I'd still be distracted by the animals.

And I would only take the job if my computer was in a sun room. I'd make the studio all glass and set portajons outside.
Last edited by maidenhaver on May 11th, 2024, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Let's be honest. AAA or however big budget games were called back then are mostly shit since the mid 2000, way before all that woke nonsense. First it was X-Box, then mobile, now woke...
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

1998 wrote: May 11th, 2024, 17:59
Let's be honest. AAA or however big budget games were called back then are mostly shit since the mid 2000, way before all that woke nonsense. First it was X-Box, then mobile, now woke...
Aligns both with WoW for PC and the seventh console generation (PS3, Wii, Xbox 360) as the start of the downfall.
Skinner box design of the former and its influence on other development teams/studios. Latter with more focus on graphics and easier online connectivity. And AAA games are usually heavy on graphics.
Older games from the 80s and 90s were selective in their content with their limited data volume capacity. And it was all-around better. Crunch hours and work conditions aren't an argument here, since they still have them but the games got worse since back then.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

aweigh wrote: May 11th, 2024, 14:35
seriously what the fuck do 500-800 employees even do for 5-10 years of "dev time"?
Is simple. You have like 5 competent developers and the rest diversity hires, so the competent devs not only have to make the game but also fix the bugs made by the diversity hires. RollerCoaster Tycon was made by a single guy in Assembly. Using Unreal Engine 5 and pre made assets, how much money a AAA ESG bigcorpo would need to make a similar game?
My point is simple. If UnderRail is bad for you, what is good for you? Forspoken?
1998 wrote: May 11th, 2024, 17:59
Where shit but now are racioactive shit. Anyway, I would`t consider Kotor 1/2 as shit. But I would consider the new starfield as radioactive shit.
sign of extreme nepotism
Modern diversity hire is worse than nepotism. Both put incompetent people in positions that they should`t be but only one is being mandated and encouraged by the state in many countries and by BlackRock/Vanguard.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Underrail is an aggressively mediocre game masquerading as a good game.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

WaterMage wrote: May 12th, 2024, 00:50
My point is simple. If UnderRail is bad for you, what is good for you?
Total Underrail-fan death
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 12th, 2024, 00:51
Underrail is an aggressively mediocre game masquerading as a good game.
Nope. Is the closest thing to a modern FL1/2 successor. With the best armor merchanics in any RPG. The unique problem of UR is cooldowns. They are also the unique game who did naval combat great in expedition.