We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Vampire Survivors is an RPG?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
NotAI

Vampire Survivors is an RPG?

Post by NotAI »

Is Vampire Survivors an RPG?

It's definitely, to some degree, like an RPG! (Several weasel words here but whatever.)

Yay:

You can upgrade stats persistently but only in between playing levels, not inside any level.

Upgraded stats inside a level are not persistent.

You must upgrade stats to progress beyond a point.

Nay:

All the characters are very similar, with slight buffs and debuffs relative each other. You can't create a character.

Mostly they start with a different item, hence the order in which they must select upgrades is mostly what is affected.

Tags:
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

NotAI wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 03:25
Is Vampire Survivors an RPG?

It's definitely, to some degree, like an RPG! (Several weasel words here but whatever.)

Yay:

You can upgrade stats persistently but only in between playing levels, not inside any level.

Upgraded stats inside a level are not persistent.

You must upgrade stats to progress beyond a point.

Nay:

All the characters are very similar, with slight buffs and debuffs relative each other. You can't create a character.

Mostly they start with a different item, hence the order in which they must select upgrades is mostly what is affected.
Verdict's in.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Super Mario is an RPG? When I press the button for him to jump, he jumps.
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

So what roles can you play in Vampire Survivors? Stats and Equipment does not necessarily an RPG make, hmmm... :?
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Jack Me Into the Device And Turn My Brain Off-lite
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

If it's an RPG then it's barely an RPG. Fun game though.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

There needs to be a better classification system for genre. It is so meaningless these days. I was going through my collection and marking genre using some of the basic game info sites and you end up getting games that essentially are listed with multiple categories to the point where it has no logical use (RPG, Strategy, Action, etc...).

I know that a game can have "elements" of various styles within it, but this shouldn't specify it as a category, rather I think there should be a "core" category it fits into and drives its core focus regardless of its elements.

Multi-classification makes sense to some extent, but I think maybe a hierarchy system would be better?

Not sure how to exactly approach it, just thinking about it really... there has to be a better way.

Though in this case, Moby lists this game as : Action
Steam lists it as: Action, Casual, RPG

Maybe some see this as pointless, but I think if there were a better more structured system, it would make identifying games a bit easier in what a person may be looking for. While many contain the elements as I said, there always seems to be a "core" focus that I think game provides.

I guess you could break certain evaluations into sub categories and see what it weights to? Maybe a percentage scale to features and then list it ordered by that weight?

I don't know, just spit balling.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

You classify whether something is an RPG or not by how much it resembles Dungeons & Dragons, Wizardry, and Ultima IV.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 13:59
You classify whether something is an RPG or not by how much it resembles Dungeons & Dragons, Wizardry, and Ultima IV.
Ok, so you pick a base system then, measure it to that for its core? So essentially a historical marker then? That makes sense, that is basically how we did it in the past believe.

Adventure game classification were modeled after what? I want to say the early text based games like Colossal Cave Adventure, which lead to things like Zork and then eventually into graphical versions like King's quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc...?

Those games were simply exploration, problem solving, puzzle solving, etc... No combat.

So technically, you could have a game set in Dungeons & Dragons, Wizardry, and Ultima IV which has those features, would it still be an adventure game?

What would segregate for instance... those conditions and a game that had combat? How much combat, or maybe what type of combat would push the "adventure" category over into an RPG one?

I want to say... "character development" combined with that combat? Would that be the key between those two?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Xenich wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 14:12
Adventure game classification were modeled after what? I want to say the early text based games like Colossal Cave Adventure, which lead to things like Zork and then eventually into graphical versions like King's quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc...?
Text-based 'adventure games' were just called 'interactive fiction'
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 14:16
Xenich wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 14:12
Text-based 'adventure games' were just called 'interactive fiction'
ok, so Interactive fiction also seems to encompass both "Adventure and Role playing".

What defines the difference between those?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Reminder that the devs hired this guy to make lore for the game well after it was released so that he could turn random characters into trannies

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 17:20
Reminder that the devs hired this guy to make lore for the game well after it was released so that he could turn random characters into trannies

Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Vampire Survivors is more like a mix of Idlers and Action-RPGs, yet not being either to the fullest extent. There are other games in its genre which lean more to their inspiration of the likes of Diablo. Examples being Halls of Torment and Death Must Die. They both have a gearing system.
They are still not that deep, and the character progression isn't character-focused per se. In case of Vampire Survivors, its upgrades affect all characters.
Besides, there are titles with RPG elements and RPG progression despite being shooters, action and other types of games. Maybe we should call most games RPGs. :scratch:
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Kowe wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 19:45
Vampire Survivors is more like a mix of Idlers and Action-RPGs,
Idlers? I dread to ask :?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Irenaeus wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 19:55
Number go up games. You basically get the engine started and it plays itself. Usually they look like a spreadsheet.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

https://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acrux wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 20:01
Number go up games. You basically get the engine started and it plays itself. Usually they look like a spreadsheet.
We call those Gregz Games.
NotAI

Post by NotAI »

I liked Vampire Survivors.

I felt it's more like a bullet hell game. The monsters as the bullets to dodge.

Play on hyper mode.