We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones recommendation status

For discussions related to our Steam Curator
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones recommendation status

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I listed it as 'Not Recommended' based on the review we have: viewtopic.php?t=1850-stygian-reign-of-the-old-ones

I've personally never played it, and I'm going entirely on feedback from you guys. @1998 stated:
1998 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 17:45
Honestly I would give this an Informational rating. Yes, its unfinished. But knowing that, for pennies on a deep sale, the first ~15 hours are not bad. There are certainly many worse RPGs on Steam.

Thoughts?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The review itself ends with recommending Lovecraft fans try it out. That being said, I'm not sure why we would recommend an unfinished game. It's...okay, but I think informational makes the most sense.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Acrux wrote: May 1st, 2024, 18:48
I'm not sure why we would recommend an unfinished game
In the context of Lovecraft fans, it's because beggars can't be choosers. If you're on the lookout for a cRPG based on his works, the pickings are very slim.

But yes, I agree that the game should be labeled "informational", with the caveat that cosmic horror fans might get the most out of it, even though it's blatantly unfinished.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

gerey wrote: May 1st, 2024, 19:40
In the context of Lovecraft fans, it's because beggars can't be choosers. If you're on the lookout for a cRPG based on his works, the pickings are very slim.
Really? There's something weird with my Steam settings then because every second game that appears promoted is "lovecraftian" and I don't even find his works very interesting - never read them, in fairness. Maybe you mean specifically cRPGs but even then I see "lovecraftian" cRPGs promoted to me on steam every day.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

While the first half is really good, and shows a lot of promise, one cannot recommend the game, because it is both unfinished and completely and utterly boring towards the end.

If anything, I would think a true fan of Lovecraft would be more insulted than satisfied.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The first ten or so hours are pretty good, reminded me of Planescape Torment (in a good way). You have this city with different districts, your main goal is sort of vague and unclear, but there's a ton of sidequests that all connect to each other and form game's narrative. Unfortunately, once you get to the Blasted Street it all goes downhill. And then the game just sort of ends.

So Stygian is basically PST, if PST ended right after meeting Pharod and didn't resolve anything about Nameless One's immortality.

Oh, and speaking about "recommending Lovecraft fans try it out" - if you read any Lovecraft, you may find the game extremely derivative. I expect players who aren't familiar with Lovecraft to like the game more, since it would feel fresh for them.
Irenaeus wrote: May 1st, 2024, 20:20
gerey wrote: May 1st, 2024, 19:40
Really? There's something weird with my Steam settings then because every second game that appears promoted is "lovecraftian"
indie devs think that you can call a game 'lovecraftian' if it has tentacled monsters in it.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

wndrbr wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 01:17

Irenaeus wrote: May 1st, 2024, 20:20

Really? There's something weird with my Steam settings then because every second game that appears promoted is "lovecraftian"
indie devs think that you can call a game 'lovecraftian' if it has tentacled monsters in it.
Or "Old Gods" from other dimensions or some shit. Unfathomable horrors. Okay....