We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Junior Adventurer's Guild - May: Knights of the Old Republic

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ

What game should we play in May?

Poll ended at May 1st, 2024, 02:59

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (2006)
5%
Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
21%
Expeditions: Conquistador (2013)
11%
Hard to be a God (2007)
5%
Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
26%
Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword (2011)
No votes
Oblivion (2006)
No votes
System Shock (1994)
11%
Two Worlds (2007)
11%
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (2004)
11%

Total votes: 19

Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: May 1st, 2024, 23:31
SpellSword wrote: May 1st, 2024, 23:29
Can KOTOR be finished without the community patch or is it a Bethesda level bug fest in its vanilla state?
I've never used any sort of mod or patch for KOTOR I and have played it just fine dozens of times.
I was getting stuck and unable to move within the first few minutes of gameplay today despite never having issues in any other playthrough.

Tags:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The community patch does fix a lot of bugs, @SpellSword, if you're willing to go through the list:
https://github.com/KOTORCommunityPatche ... /README.md
https://github.com/KOTORCommunityPatche ... ANGELOG.md

It's not a 'restoration' project. The game itself is finished, unlike kotor 2.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 1st, 2024, 23:34
Vergil wrote: May 1st, 2024, 23:31
SpellSword wrote: May 1st, 2024, 23:29
Can KOTOR be finished without the community patch or is it a Bethesda level bug fest in its vanilla state?
I've never used any sort of mod or patch for KOTOR I and have played it just fine dozens of times.
I was getting stuck and unable to move within the first few minutes of gameplay today despite never having issues in any other playthrough.
Omen
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

As much as I don't care for RDR2, at least I could pull out a sawed-off shotgun and blow the fucking cheating NPC's brains out before going on a cathartic shooting spree after getting swindled at cards. The only recourse I have for these fucking pazaak cheaters is to reload the quicksave. Fucking hate devs that put retarded little gay card games into RPGs.
Hate Caravan in New Vegas.
Hate Gwent in Witcher 3.
Hate pazaak in KotOR.
Simple as.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

logincrash wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 17:12
The only recourse I have for these fucking pazaak cheaters is to reload the quicksave
CHEATER DETECTED
Pazaak is so easy it's literally p2w
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Thanks @Nemesis for not letting me holding the Expeditions: Conquistador bag alone. Btw, can you check your DMs please (I sent more dick pics as requested).
Last edited by Irenaeus on May 2nd, 2024, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Getting set up. Turns out if you have a legit copy on Steam you can't apply the widescreen fix without downloading another program to decrypt the .exe. Remember to always pirate!
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

This game is giving me so many issues. You fucking rats had better be playing too.

logincrash

Post by logincrash »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 00:27
This game is giving me so many issues. You fucking rats had better be playing too.

I am playing. Why'd you think I raged out over pazaak?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Was a tad busy playing System Shock 1 Remake, should boot up KOTOR today.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

lol.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

I made it to the cantina, tried to mug some people but Carth O'na'sai is a little narc bitch faggot. Shookdown a black doctor though, can't wait to report him to the sith for faking his medical license
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

If you haven't limited it already this may help with that problem:
Clover

Post by Clover »

Won my first game of Pazzak and was like, "Lol what are they all complaining about" and then proceeded to be completely unable to do it again.

Also interesting to see the classic Bioware thing where they introduce a mechanic, people complain about it so instead of improving it they just put in an extremely watered down version in their next game. Quasar is just the LaCroix version of Pazzak.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Clover wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 12:50
Won my first game of Pazzak and was like, "Lol what are they all complaining about" and then proceeded to be completely unable to do it again.

Also interesting to see the classic Bioware thing where they introduce a mechanic, people complain about it so instead of improving it they just put in an extremely watered down version in their next game. Quasar is just the LaCroix version of Pazzak.
Pazzak is just l like MTG, except you have to hunt down all the "meta" cards instead of ordering them all from a store. Have fun!
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

To Carths credit he is a true bro, however he doesn't understand the power of the late game dark side items. It's a shame he won't be able to join BAEstila, HK, and myself as we take over the galaxy.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

SpellSword wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 10:39
If you haven't limited it already this may help with that problem
There's also a mod for that. But I haven't run into this problem yet, so I can't say if it'll help.
https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/mods/1540
Quasar is just the LaCroix version of Pazzak.
lmao
I read "LaCroix" and my first thought was "What does BioWare have to do with VtMB?"
Clover

Post by Clover »

logincrash wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 14:16
Quasar is just the LaCroix version of Pazzak.
lmao
I read "LaCroix" and my first thought was "What does BioWare have to do with VtMB?"

► Show Spoiler
Zero calories!
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

Clover wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 17:09
► Show Spoiler
Zero calories!
That's a very well made AI picture. All the fingers are fine and the armor is very close to the original. Even the hairstyle is nearly identical to the in-game one.
The only way it's unfaithful to the game is that you couldn't make a good-looking FemShep if you tried. You either ended up with unfortunate victims of botched plastic surgeries or just outright trannies.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

So, played KOTOR for a bit and it runs fine on my machine, no issues whatsoever. I'll probably try using the widescreen fixes later, but for now it's fine.

I did follow the modding guide (and used the tool to automate mod installing), so that might be the reason why the game is running so well.

EDIT: Installation of widescreen mods went without a hitch.
Last edited by gerey on May 3rd, 2024, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Playing in 1024x768 like it's 2003 :cool:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Failed in London - try Hong Kong.

logincrash

Post by logincrash »

wndrbr wrote: May 5th, 2024, 12:00
Playing in 1024x768 like it's 2003 :cool:
I should get a 4:3 monitor.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Really missed spamming the flourish key while running around. I'd also sheathe/unsheathe my weapons in WoW constantly to similar effect.

Never understood the hate for Taris. It's a bit more linear than the other planets, but there are still a bunch of encounters and little quests to find.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Enjoying the game, however. My woke detection skill is too high these days. This game isn't really trying to be subtle about it. It's woke as fuck, "let them all in", "don't judge", and how do you know someone's going to betray you or is the bad guy? It's the slightly racist one. Or the one with common sense. There is a plague sweeping Taris brothers.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Oyster Sauce wrote: May 6th, 2024, 05:15
Never understood the hate for Taris. It's a bit more linear than the other planets, but there are still a bunch of encounters and little quests to find.
Like Boontaker said, the retarded racial/social commentary is constantly in your face, which is incredibly jarring in Star Wars of all settings.

Also, the writing in general is so bad. I feel like I'm playing the protagonist in someone's Mary Sue fanfic - "OMG sempai, you're so awesome at everything, you can speak, like, a billion languages, you're just a simple rookie yet you fight like an elite soldier" etc., and from what I remember it never lets up. Every NPC you encounter tries to suck your metaphorical dick.

The general premise will forever remain retarded too - why are you, of all the people in the galaxy, allowed to bunk with regular grunts unsupervised? You'd think the Jedi would devote enough resources to ensure you don't get up to anything, mind-wipe or not.

Gameplay is okay I guess, the interface is not particularly well-equipped to do anything all that clever in combat, and trying to wrangle your party members into position is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with mines, other than sell them. Never managed to lure an enemy into them, and it's faster just to cut them down with a sword anyway.
Last edited by gerey on May 6th, 2024, 08:45, edited 3 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: May 6th, 2024, 08:24
I feel like I'm playing the protagonist in someone's Mary Sue fanfic - "OMG sempai, you're so awesome at everything, you can speak, like, a billion languages, you're just a simple rookie yet you fight like an elite soldier" etc., and from what I remember it never lets up. Every NPC you encounter tries to suck your metaphorical dick
it's all balanced out by Bastila being a condescending bitch who mocks you and insists that you did nothing.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

gerey wrote: May 6th, 2024, 08:24
Like Boontaker said, the retarded racial/social commentary is constantly in your face, which is incredibly jarring in Star Wars of all settings.

Also, the writing in general is so bad. I feel like I'm playing the protagonist in someone's Mary Sue fanfic - "OMG sempai, you're so awesome at everything, you can speak, like, a billion languages, you're just a simple rookie yet you fight like an elite soldier" etc., and from what I remember it never lets up. Every NPC you encounter tries to suck your metaphorical dick.

The general premise will forever remain retarded too - why are you, of all the people in the galaxy, allowed to bunk with regular grunts unsupervised? You'd think the Jedi would devote enough resources to ensure you don't get up to anything, mind-wipe or not.

Gameplay is okay I guess, the interface is not particularly well-equipped to do anything all that clever in combat, and trying to wrangle your party members into position is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with mines, other than sell them. Never managed to lure an enemy into them, and it's faster just to cut them down with a sword anyway.
Yeah, the Light Side vs Dark Side dichotomy is represented through progressive vs nationalistic politics is a bit retarded.
But the writing on the whole fits the Star Wars universe, I think. It's not a gritty sci-fi franchise, but basically high fantasy in space. And it's not particularly stellar high fantasy either. So, tropey BioWare writing feels right at home.
Bastila and Carth were assigned to be PC's handlers, no? Since Bastila has a Force connection, she'd be able to spot any inkling of Revan waking up. Carth is generally distrustful and suspicious and would be watching PC like a hawk.
Gameplay is indeed pretty simple. There's no real room for any tactics or strategy other than run in and smash.
I've yet to get to the parts where I've used the mines on my previous playthroughs. But I think they're used while dealing with the Rancor on Taris and the Krayt dragon on Tatooine.
Oyster Sauce wrote: May 6th, 2024, 05:15
Really missed spamming the flourish key while running around. I'd also sheathe/unsheathe my weapons in WoW constantly to similar effect.
Yeah, same. I would also use console commands to bind Taunt to T in Jedi Academy and run around taunting fools in the middle of lightsaber duels.
Last edited by logincrash on May 6th, 2024, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

logincrash wrote: May 6th, 2024, 09:13
But the writing on the whole fits the Star Wars universe, I think. It's not a gritty sci-fi franchise, but basically high fantasy in space. And it's not particularly stellar high fantasy either. So, tropey BioWare writing feels right at home.
I agree that morality in Star Wars was never particularly deep, but if you look at the movies racism was never part of the discourse, and then Lucas doubled down in the Prequels by having Palpatine's cronies be aliens, despite decades of shitlib authors trying to make the Empire a humanity first regime.

Not to say you can't explore such themes in Star Wars, but the way BioWare handled them in KOTOR 1 was even more childish and crass than anything in the Star Wars movies. It feels genuinely jarring to see it all in action in KOTOR 1, especially when compared to the subdued misery and horror of Coruscant.
spoiler
Yes, but Revan is a Sith Lord that brought the whole Republic to their knees, and they have a young, untested Jedi and a whiny faggot as his handlers? Memory wipe or not, he's still an incredible threat, especially since the idea seemed to supervise him from a distance. It feels like the whole plot is bending over backwards to make the blatantly obvious twist work.
Last edited by gerey on May 6th, 2024, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
logincrash

Post by logincrash »

gerey wrote: May 6th, 2024, 09:46
It feels like the whole plot is bending over backwards to make the blatantly obvious twist work.
Oh, that's a hundred percent the case. All the PC worship is there just to serve the twist too.
Also, I misremembered. Carth doesn't know. There's a whole thing where he gets pissy on the Leviathan after finding out the truth.
Last edited by logincrash on May 6th, 2024, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.