We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Starfield - Todd Howard's latest masterpiece

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Traditionally their DLC's have added a few hours of content and that's about it.

If the main game wasn't content full - then it's over. No DLC here is gonna be a big enough bandaid to deliver on the promise of this game, this is especially so given that the game has basically been abandoned by modders and frankly I don't think player engagement is what they wanted either. It's gonna be another "Fuck this lets go back to Witcher" situation.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

nyxnyx wrote: May 1st, 2024, 17:36
I still don't understand why people bitched about the surface map anyway; the scanner is way more convenient and was much more immersive than any map could be - the real problem is that there's absolute fuck all on planetary surfaces worth exploring, so what's the point? your average player is still going to exit the ship and immediately point towards the quest marker on their compass while tapping boost with a thumb up their ass for five minutes because that's all there is to its 'exploration' gameplay loop.
Cities should have a map in a sci-fi game.
NotAI

Post by NotAI »

I read that Starfield is still being worked on...wat? Why? DLC?
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Dumb studios don't know when to cut their losses.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Starfield may have been too smart to win

Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Segata wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 13:55
Starfield may have been too smart to win

Shit hyper and excuse maker extraordinaire.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Shillitron wrote: May 1st, 2024, 19:11
Traditionally their DLC's have added a few hours of content and that's about it.

If the main game wasn't content full - then it's over. No DLC here is gonna be a big enough bandaid to deliver on the promise of this game, this is especially so given that the game has basically been abandoned by modders and frankly I don't think player engagement is what they wanted either. It's gonna be another "Fuck this lets go back to Witcher" situation.
They needed the mod tools out day one. The real day one, the day the premium paypigs got their copies. It was expected the game would be a mess, a disaster even, but not having those tools ready on time, to generate bullshit furry and cheat mods, killed all interest. Modders couldn't fix it even if they wanted to. BGS floats on mod support.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesdas- ... -starfield
“Each of the franchises should be its own thing.”

“What's new is it's a new IP, so you know that we're going to be doing some things differently than we've done before, and obviously we had people who love the game both on the review side and people who liked it less,” Howard said.

“I think the majority of our reviews were in the 90s, which, look, that's great. I don't want to ever be in a world where that is not a great place to be in terms of critical reception, particularly in a year where there were so many amazing games out.

“But obviously, look, we see the feedback, we see a lot of players saying, this is what I want out of a Bethesda game, which is to explore a world in a certain way and Starfield didn't give me that, I prefer the way it's done in Fallout or Elder Scrolls. And perfectly understandable right, in terms of, hey this is a different experience."

[...]

“I do think, for us, particularly me going into a science fiction game, I want to be able to land on all the planets, I want the game to say yes to us knowing that that content is going to be different than you've seen from us in the past when you're exploring a landscape," Howard said. "And that's some of the trade-offs we'll make to do what we think makes a science fiction game like this, that's based in this kind of fiction and reality, to make it what it should be. Each of the franchises should be its own thing.

“Obviously, look, there are areas that… the maps or some other things, gameplay options, that we're adding, other display modes on console that people have asked for, and we want to do all that stuff, it takes some time but we're excited to get stuff out there.”
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I wasn't expecting this from spoof account.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

maidenhaver wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 14:20
Shillitron wrote: May 1st, 2024, 19:11

They needed the mod tools out day one. The real day one, the day the premium paypigs got their copies. It was expected the game would be a mess, a disaster even, but not having those tools ready on time, to generate bullshit furry and cheat mods, killed all interest. Modders couldn't fix it even if they wanted to. BGS floats on mod support.
Wouldnt have changed anything. Skyrim/Fallout4 mod tools also released months after release. There is no way to fix starfield without starting from scratch and put all handcrafted content into one solar system, if you dislike their random generated planets with the same few points of interest you get bored after exploring for 20-30hours usually. Not to mention you would have to rewrite and change almost all npcs to not feel in clownworld california. Only good thing in that game was the shipbuilding. So if people take the engine and make their own universe it might be something good. But the starfield universe cant be saved.
Last edited by Vaako on May 5th, 2024, 16:52, edited 3 times in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

The_Mask wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 20:35
https://www.ign.com/articles/bethesdas- ... -starfield
“I think the majority of our reviews were in the 90s
???

EDIT

The Commenters on IGN aren't having any of it. They are all shitting on starfield. That's pretty surprising, if your unironically consuming IGN content you should have pretty high tolerance to trash.

Starfield might of been needed to dispel the "Todd's our guy" mythos though.
Even @rusty_shackleford was blowing Howard a few weeks before Starfield dropped and now he's firmly converted.

We just need Jenkem to wake up.
Last edited by Shillitron on May 5th, 2024, 21:45, edited 4 times in total.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

I just wonder, how Bugthesda can decay even more? I mean, they last great game was morrowind and since morrowind, they are only making worse and worse games.Oblivion was a decline, Skyrim another decline, fl4 a decline, and now, starfield, has every form of decline from previous games + a lot of baizuo nonsense. What is the next? Their next game will be so filled with bugs made by incompetent diversity hires that would't even launch?
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

aweigh wrote: May 7th, 2024, 02:21
WaterMage wrote: May 7th, 2024, 02:10
What is the next?
Starfield but even worse.
Starfield with bear rape and saints row dialog (the new one)
nyxnyx

Post by nyxnyx »

Nooneatall wrote: May 7th, 2024, 02:29
aweigh wrote: May 7th, 2024, 02:21
WaterMage wrote: May 7th, 2024, 02:10
What is the next?
Starfield but even worse.
Starfield with bear rape and saints row dialog (the new one)
modders have graced Bethesda games with bear rape when Larian was still depending on Kickstarter to pay their wages.