We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Non-Slop (modern) RPG recommendations

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Cogemeister

Non-Slop (modern) RPG recommendations

Post by Cogemeister »

What are some more modern RPGs that actually give you a choice, and that choice impacts the game. What are some games that don’t hold your hand and you can mess up your entire playthrough by choosing the wrong dialogue option or killing a faction leader? In an RPG you are supposed to be role playing and immersing yourself, I’m tired of the games that don’t let you kill “essential” NPCs or screw over companions to make them leave/ turn hostile. The only recent game I can think of it ‘Outer Worlds’ which is completely pozzed with a dumb story, but at least your choices mattered and there wasn’t essential NPCs.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

this is like the 1000th thread on this topic
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Cogemeister wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:07
What are some games that don’t hold your hand and you can mess up your entire playthrough by choosing the wrong dialogue option or killing a faction leader?
Try alpha protocol
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

What are some more modern RPGs that actually give you a choice, and that choice impacts the game. What are some games that don’t hold your hand and you can mess up your entire playthrough by choosing the wrong dialogue option or killing a faction leader? In an RPG you are supposed to be role playing and immersing yourself, I’m tired of the games that don’t let you kill “essential” NPCs or screw over companions to make them leave/ turn hostile. The only recent game I can think of it ‘Outer Worlds’ which is completely pozzed with a dumb story, but at least your choices mattered and there wasn’t essential NPCs.
Do you like Fallout? Try it's spiritual successor, The Age of Decadence by Iron Tower. It's modern enough, released in 2015 or so.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Nammu Archag wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:12
What are some games that don’t hold your hand and you can mess up your entire playthrough by choosing the wrong dialogue option or killing a faction leader?
Try alpha protocol
Looks interesting, but I’m not a fan of that setting. It looks like Obsidian is one of the only companies giving freedom of choice and consequences in modern RPGs though. They’re coming out with Avowed.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

RPGs aren't just about choices and consequences.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Cogemeister wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:22
Nammu Archag wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:12
Try alpha protocol
Looks interesting, but I’m not a fan of that setting. It looks like Obsidian is one of the only companies giving freedom of choice and consequences in modern RPGs though. They’re coming out with Avowed.
I was joking its just the current game we are playing for april
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Irenaeus wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:25
Cogemeister wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:22
They’re coming out with Avowed.
I have bad news :lol:
What’s that? I already know it’s gonna be at least partially pozzed
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

c&c meme is the worst thing to have ever happened to RPG discussion
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

wndrbr wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:23
RPGs aren't just about choices and consequences.
If I’m ROLEPLAYING and do some heinous act or kill people from “x” faction I don’t want the game to just ignore it because it might result in a different ending.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

one of the best RPGs that exists
I rewrote major portions of the DX11 renderer mod while playing this to greatly speed up loading times & remove crashes but I lost it when a disk failed :sad:
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2024, 04:50

I rewrote major portions of the DX11 renderer mod while playing this to greatly speed up loading times & remove crashes but I lost it when a disk failed :sad:
That looks pretty good actually
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I was going to say this, but Rusty had to be a dick and say it first.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Cogemeister wrote: May 1st, 2024, 05:26
That looks pretty good actually
There's some Gothic 2 mods that modernize it which are fully compatible with Archolos, they're a bit of a pain to install so I'd probably have to do a writeup on it for zoomers.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

Irenaeus wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:19
Do you like Fallout? Try it's spiritual successor, The Age of Decadence by Iron Tower. It's modern enough, released in 2015 or so.
It's "its", not "it's". There should be a rule for people who make this mistake to be deported to India.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 1st, 2024, 09:45
There should be a rule for people who make this mistake to be deported to India.
It's not that big a deal.
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

A Chinese opium den wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:18
There should be a rule for people who make this mistake to be deported to India.
It's inherently harder to take you seriously if you make such obvious mistakes.
Anon

Post by Anon »

It's "its", not "it's". There should be a rule for people who make this mistake to be deported to India.
Deporting him to India wouldn't make a huge difference for him lmao
Last edited by Anon on May 1st, 2024, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Vlajdimir Ermenović wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:48
A Chinese opium den wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:18
It's inherently harder to take you seriously if you make such obvious mistakes.
You got be me there but, I'll edit the post :geek:
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Do you like Fallout? Try its spiritual successor, The Age of Decadence by Iron Tower. It's modern enough, released in 2015 or so.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

'spiritual successor' to Fallout is ATOM, age of decadence is a visual novel with teleporting mechanics.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2024, 13:01
'spiritual successor' to Fallout is ATOM, age of decadence is a visual novel with teleporting mechanics.
OP, you could play ATOM then, I never played it because I dont find the despair and antisocial attitudes in slavs appealing.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Shame you need the steam version to install it, only have the gothic 2 cd/dvds.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Nammu Archag wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:10
You could give links on this threads and avoid being complete asshole!
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: May 1st, 2024, 15:47
Nammu Archag wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:10
You could give links on this threads and avoid being complete asshole!
I could.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's no rule against making a topic on something that's already been covered or necroing an old topic. Just pick whichever you'd prefer. If there's multiple active threads on the same topic they'll probably just be merged.
New topics seem to be more approachable to new users rather than bumping old topics.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 1st, 2024, 15:50
There's no rule against making a topic on something that's already been covered or necroing an old topic. Just pick whichever you'd prefer. If there's multiple active threads on the same topic they'll probably just be merged.
New topics seem to be more approachable to new users rather than bumping old topics.
I mean if previous topics have more games named than here, it would be better to link this topics here, or as you say, they merge new with old, because doing all this is much more productive than simply stating that similar topic already exists.