We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

May: Crystals of Arborea

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

May: Crystals of Arborea

Post by rusty_shackleford »

How to acquire?

Crystals of Arborea is included in the Ishar Compilation at GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/ishar_compilation
Includes Crystals of Arborea, Ishar: Legend of the Fortress, Ishar 2: Messengers of Doom and Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
It's currently 60% off for another day and available for $2.99 if you wanted to grab a compilation of all 4 Ishar games. Crystals of Arborea is not technically an Ishar game(?), but is a precursor to it.

The game is also available on Atari ST and Amiga. Does anyone know if there's any major differences between the platforms?
I'll post more about configuration when I get it setup.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 12:56, edited 3 times in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Do you have any idea whether my money will go to the original developers if I buy the game? I'm thinking of buying it because $2.99 makes me even pity, but if no money is going to the original developers I'll still pirate it lel
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: May 1st, 2024, 00:17
Do you have any idea whether my money will go to the original developers if I buy the game? I'm thinking of buying it because $2.99 makes me even pity, but if no money is going to the original developers I'll still pirate it lel
I have no idea, sorry. If I had to guess, the money probably goes to DotEmu: https://www.dotemu.com/ but they seem to just publish old games, so, maybe?
[edit]
DotEmu also seemed to have changed hands a few times. I assume the only way to clear this up would be through sending some emails.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on May 1st, 2024, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 30th, 2024, 23:56
The game is also available on Atari ST and Amiga. Does anyone know if there's any major differences between the platforms?

All can be adjusted with shaders, though I haven't toyed with the Atari ST version.
► Show Spoiler
As for differences in play, really don't know. Dos/Amiga versions seem similar and will be an issue of (Dosbox vs Retroarch for ease of setup).
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

I see the game's author was a big fan of The Silmarillion.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i wish i had kept my old crt monitors
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

asf wrote: May 1st, 2024, 14:34
Yeah, same. I had a 22 inch Viewsonic from back in the day which was great for everything from CAD work to gaming, but it had one of the armatures fail. I contacted Viewsonic, it was only around a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed, but I had to ship it across the country which was going to cost a ridiculous amount (it weighed 70lbs) so like an idiot, I just picked up a flat screen. They are superior monitors, especially for being able to handle different resolutions. Should have ponied up the cash.
Incognito

Post by Incognito »

Xenich wrote: May 1st, 2024, 14:53
asf wrote: May 1st, 2024, 14:34
Yeah, same. I had a 22 inch Viewsonic from back in the day which was great for everything from CAD work to gaming, but it had one of the armatures fail. I contacted Viewsonic, it was only around a couple hundred bucks to have it fixed, but I had to ship it across the country which was going to cost a ridiculous amount (it weighed 70lbs) so like an idiot, I just picked up a flat screen. They are superior monitors, especially for being able to handle different resolutions. Should have ponied up the cash.
I have a few in storage. They'll all eventually die and there's almost no one left to fix them. Shipping one thousands of miles away for repair is a recipe for disaster.
Love CRTs, mostly to pair with old computers, but also great to run DOSBox, WinUAE and other emuls.

NOW GO PLAY ARBOREA, you degenerates.
Anon

Post by Anon »

hoarders assemble
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Incognito wrote: May 1st, 2024, 15:13
NOW GO PLAY ARBOREA, you degenerates.
I got gifted VTMR so I'm playing it first. This seems to be rather short so I hope to finish it this month.
To anyone curious why I don't seem to finish these, HQ stuff cuts heavily into time I used for playing video games. And I'm just bad at finishing games.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

HYPE
Edit: Ended up buying the GOG compilation, at 60% off it may as well already be free.
Last edited by Watser on May 1st, 2024, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Completed, will post screenshots tomorrow.
The game is very short and can be completed in 4-5 hours where you will mostly be struggling with the UI and the lack of healing.

Make sure to spec into agility for your ranger/warriors or else they are completely useless.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

► Show Spoiler
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Damn, that is p.short. Maybe we should tack on Ishar?
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Opportunity to catch up and play some Hexx
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Just remember to buy enough keys and food before going to the towers.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

So I've heard.