We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Emil Pagliarulo and His Terrible Fanfiction and Head Canons

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
RangerBoo

Emil Pagliarulo and His Terrible Fanfiction and Head Canons

Post by RangerBoo »

It seems that in recent months and with the recent bomb that is Starfield people all over the internet are coming to a conclusion that many of us have known for over a decade now and that is that Emil is a pretty terrible writer. His stories, since Oblivion, have relied a lot on "twists" and "gotcha's". He is a man addicted to the "rule of cool" in that he wants to add things that he thinks are cool to a setting where it would make no sense in being there. For instance, in a talk he had a few years ago, Emil talked about how he so badly wanted to add magic into Fallout 4 in the form of radiation (yeah because that is how radiation works in the Fallout universe) because he thought it would be cool as he grew up in Salem. He is also a "writer" (use that term loosely when talking about Emil) who brags about not using design documents which will explain why the writing is all over the place in Bethesda games. Instead he binge watches movies, shows and video games that are popular like Borderlands and Deadpool and bases his writing on them. It is literal fanfiction.

He is also a man who can be described as a "That Guy" from TTRPG's. A "That Guy" who demands that people play a game his way. That the players do a quest and campaign how he wants them to do it. This is prevalent in all of Emil's quests and stories he has written since Oblivion. The most glaring examples are the choice you make at the purifier in Fallout 3 and the Thieves Guild quest in Skyrim. This man can not handle player agency. He is such a control freak narcissist that he demands that everyone play the game as he would. Again a "That Guy".

He is also known to use Twitter to write head canons on the fly perhaps hoping to get ass pats and validation for it. Instead he has been getting quite a bit of ridicule which led him to going on mass blocking sprees. The best was when he confirmed that his OC Gary-Stu Nate from Fallout 4 is the US solider who shots a unarmed and tied up civilian in the Fallout 1 opening. This led to a massive amount of ridicule on the internet with everyone dunking on him for this stupid head canon such as calling Nate "Nate The Rake". It is clear to everyone now that so long as Emil continues to be the lead writer for Bethesda the quality of their games will not improve. Hopefully this thread will give people some good laughs over how terrible Emil and his writing is as well as the sorry state of Bethesda.

Last edited by RangerBoo on April 29th, 2024, 03:23, edited 6 times in total.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Vergil wrote: April 29th, 2024, 01:48
More importantly he's ugly.
Both inside and out.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Anon wrote: April 29th, 2024, 01:50
Waiting for @krokodil's counterpoint so I can form my opinion
Yeah, I'm waiting for that faggot too as I have quite a bit of counters as to why he is both wrong and a retard. Emil's writing is just not good. Every fan I have seen for Bethesda games never praise Emil's writing. What they praise is the modding community and the accessibility to mods. Even then Bethesda has damaged that with their constant "Next Gen" updates that keep wrecking many peoples mods.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 29th, 2024, 01:58, edited 3 times in total.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 01:46
It seems that in recent months and with the recent bomb that is Starfield people all over the internet are coming to the a conclusion that many of us have known for over a decade now and that is Emil is a pretty terrible writer. His stories, since Oblivion, have relied a lot on "twists" and "gotcha's". He is a man addicted to the "rule of cool" in that he wants to add things that he thinks are cool to a setting where it would make no sense in being there. For instance, in a talk he had a few years ago, Emil talked about how he so badly wanted to add magic into Fallout 4 in the form of radiation (yeah because that is how radiation works in Fallout) because he thought it would be cool as he grew up in Salem. He is also a "writer" (use that term loosely when talking about Emil) who brags about not using design documents which will explain why the writing is all over the place in Bethesda games. Instead he binge watches movies, shows and video games that are popular like Borderlands and Deadpool and bases his writing on them. It is literal fanfiction.

He is also a man who can be described as a "That Guy" from TTRPG's. A "That Guy" who demands that people play a game his way. That the players do a quest and campaign how he wants them to do it. This is prevalent in all of Emil's quests and stories he has written since Oblivion. The most glaring examples are the choice you make at the purifier in Fallout 3 and the Thieves Guild quest in Skyrim. This man can not handle player agency. He is such a control freak narcissist that he demands that everyone play the game as he would. Again a "That Guy".

He is also known to use Twitter to write head canons on the fly perhaps hoping to get ass pats and validation for it. Instead he has been getting quite a bit of ridicule which lead him to going on mass blocking sprees. The best was been he confirmed that his OC Gary-Stu Nate from Fallout 4 is the US solider who shots a unarmed and tied up civilian in the Fallout 1 opening. This lead to a massive amount of ridicule on the internet with everyone dunking on him for this stupid head canon such as calling Nate "Nate The Rake". It is clear to everyone now that so long as Emil continues to be the lead writer for Bethesda the quality of their games will not improve. Hopefully this thread will give people some god laughs over how terrible Emil and his writing is as well as the sorry state of Bethesda.

Yes, the writing in the Bethesda games are terrible. However - unfortunately - people tend to overlook much of that if the rest of the game is ok - but note that no game has ever reached the 'Overwhelmingly Positive' review status on Steam, which is a much better indicator how a game is than any review system (which can be bought with bots to just mention that). And this is a bigger problem than just Emil and Bethesda since bad writing can be excuses if you blind the audience with other flash that keeps them happy, for example Baldurs Gate 3 (terrible writing overall), Detroit: Become Human and earlier, the oh so praised movie Avatar which was basically Pocahontas in space. The writing basically takes a backseat in a lot of media, and one of few modern game examples I can think of is The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, where that was instead put front and center. Still not that fantastic imo, but you can tell that the developers did think of the story first and foremost.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Emil talked about how he so badly wanted to add magic into Fallout 4 in the form of radiation
was gonna mention this in the other thread but emil got his way with one of the ghoul NPCs in the Nuka-World DLC for Fallout 4. if you haven't played it look up "Oswald The Outrageous", just a ghoul who was a magician in nuka-world pre-war and just flat out uses magic spells now. Some terminal entries about radiation making him special, unlike other ghouls.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Oswald_the_Outrageous
Last edited by aweigh on April 29th, 2024, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

aweigh wrote: April 29th, 2024, 02:12
Emil talked about how he so badly wanted to add magic into Fallout 4 in the form of radiation
was gonna mention this in the other thread but emil got his way with one of the ghoul NPCs in the Nuka-World DLC for Fallout 4. if you haven't played it look up "Oswald The Outrageous", just a ghoul who was a magician in nuka-world pre-war and just flat out uses magic spells now. Some terminal entries about radiation making him special, unlike other ghouls.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Oswald_the_Outrageous
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Even redditors hate Emil. It blows my mind there are people defending this hack.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

The thing I noticed, and several others have noticed, about Emil is that he does not enjoy writing or has a passion for it. He treats writing like it is a job. One of the last things you want when hiring people for a creative industry like game development is to have someone who treats creative processes like writing as "just a job". You want someone who has a passion for the craft and who cares about the lore and project. What is also interesting, at least judging from Emil's talks, is that there seems to be a number of devs and other writers in Bethesda that seem aware that Emil is a childish hack and have tried to put the reigns on him like with the magic system in Fallout and wanting to have the player become the faction leaders in Fallout 4. However, it seems like Emil just cries to Todd whenever the other writers and devs tell him that his ideas are stupid and Todd just lets Emil have his way.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 29th, 2024, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

He's the reason Reman 5 wasn't the villain in Skyrim, and why Nordic religion and culture got thrown out.

Uriel 5, I mean.
Last edited by maidenhaver on April 29th, 2024, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 02:59
The thing I noticed, and several others have noticed, about Emil is that he does not enjoy writing or has a passion for it. He treats writing like it is a job. One of the last things you want when hiring people for a creative industry like game development is to have someone who treats creative processes like writing as "just a job". You want someone who has a passion for the craft and who cares about the lore and project. What is also interesting, at least judging from Emil's talks, is that there seems to be a number of devs and other writers in Bethesda that seem aware that Emil is a childish hack and have tried to put the reigns on him like with the magic system in Fallout and wanting to have the player become the faction leaders in Fallout 4. However, it seems like Emil just cries to Todd whenever the other writers and devs tell him that his ideas are stupid and Todd just lets Emil have his way.
I wrote a long essay about this in the other thread but yea I noticed this too.
He doesn't actually approach writing or world building like how creative talented writers approach it. For him the ground work stuff that makes a cohesive setting and story is "the boring stuff" that he likely kicks down to junior staff after-the-fact and he wants to jump immediately to "Ok lets add this cool shit I saw on tv".

That's probably why everything is retcon hell because he's got interns trying to plug the holes for all his retarded contradictory-to-lore ideas and so you get dragon breaks and jet and ghouls in fridges.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Emil is my man on the inside. We meet a biker church in ohio to plan the destruction of the video games industry, by turning it all into slop.

He wants gamers to unplug and game the system.
Last edited by maidenhaver on April 29th, 2024, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Decline

Post by Decline »

maidenhaver wrote: April 29th, 2024, 03:25
Emil is my man on the inside. We meet a biker church in ohio to plan the destruction of the video games industry, by turning it all into slop.

Last edited by Decline on April 29th, 2024, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Remember, it is not a war crime when it is against Canadians. Nate is a true American hero. He was probably going to get a offer to join the Enclave at that Veteran's Hall party but sadly the bombs dropped before he was given the chance. Emil unintentionally made his Gary-Stu OC more interesting and gave him some depth and it was by accident. :lol:
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 02:59
One of the last things you want when hiring people for a creative industry like game development is to have someone who treats creative processes like writing as "just a job"
Emil was one of Todd's buddies from high school/college. He was just given the job as a favor by Todd. This is something to keep in mind when badmouthing Emil, for all of Emil's evils none of it would be possible without Todd.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Decline wrote: April 29th, 2024, 03:29
maidenhaver wrote: April 29th, 2024, 03:25

Yes.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

as an Australian who shouldn't have any grudge against Canada, i feel strangely patriotic about Nate the Rake. God bless him. What a war hero.

:salute:
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Shillitron wrote: April 29th, 2024, 03:19
I wrote a long essay about this in the other thread but yea I noticed this too.
He doesn't actually approach writing or world building like how creative talented writers approach it. For him the ground work stuff that makes a cohesive setting and story is "the boring stuff" that he likely kicks down to junior staff after-the-fact and he wants to jump immediately to "Ok lets add this cool shit I saw on tv".

That's probably why everything is retcon hell because he's got interns trying to plug the holes for all his retarded contradictory-to-lore ideas and so you get dragon breaks and jet and ghouls in fridges.
That is probably why Microsoft is in a bit of a panic right now. Emil royally fucked up the lore of Fallout with the show which is why Microsoft is having Todd try to calm things down and go into clarification over the lore retcons (to no avail). With both Starfield bombing and people getting mad over the lore breaks and retcons in the Fallout show, Emil may have proven to Microsoft that he is more trouble then he is worth. I would not be surprised if Microsoft dumps him during or after Elder Scrolls 6 development. He really has proven himself to be a detriment to Microsoft.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

Cope Bethfag. Also, please explain and enlighten all of us to why you think Emil's writing is good. Please tell us as I can use the laugh.
Last edited by RangerBoo on April 29th, 2024, 05:36, edited 2 times in total.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 05:35
Cope Bethfag. Also, please explain and enlighten all of us to why you think Emil's writing is good. Please tell us as I can use the laugh.
I never said anything about Emil's writing, let alone whether it is good or not. Take your meds.
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

krokodil wrote: April 29th, 2024, 05:42
I never said anything about Emil's writing, let alone whether it is good or not. Take your meds.
You have constantly shilled for both Emil and Bethesda while disregarding any criticism that people have towards them. Either you are a odious shill or a retard.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 05:48

You have constantly shilled for both Emil and Bethesda while disregarding any criticism that people have towards them. Either you are a odious shill or a retard.
[citation needed]
RangerBoo

Post by RangerBoo »

krokodil wrote: April 29th, 2024, 06:03
RangerBoo wrote: April 29th, 2024, 05:48

[citation needed]
So you being a faggot in the Fallout tv show thread and defending it and Bethesda enough of a citation for you cock sucker?
nyxnyx

Post by nyxnyx »

Nate being a war criminal is arguably the best piece of canon to come out of Fallout 4.

Thank you, Emil.