We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

'Marketing is dead' says Larian

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich wrote: April 27th, 2024, 14:12

Didn't WoC pass on renewing the 1st/2nd edition AD&D license? Doesn't that mean that all of the content, rules, artwork, etc... from that era is now open license? One could take those system and put out a game using them as a template and I think it will be well received, well.. among certain crowds.
The rules can already be used. That's how the OSR cottage industry exists with the different clones. The things that wouldn't be usable are brand specific names (like Mordenkeinen) and those are still in use for 5e.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Element wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:28
Hasn't the quality of the ads themselves fallen off a cliff over the last decade? Some of the late 00s ads/trailers for games were pretty great - Halo 3, odst, GoW 2 etc. They were good enough to sell you on the game even if you knew nothing of it. What little I've seen of modern ads just looks like marveloid trash with lots of flashy lights and shit music.
It has just "evolved" to the common denominator. Apparently minimalist, annoying and noisy ads attract more attention from the general population, or are at least more efficient (way cheaper to mass produce for the return they bring) and that's why the publicity industry is so aggressively moving in that direction.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Acrux wrote: April 27th, 2024, 14:36
Xenich wrote: April 27th, 2024, 14:12

Didn't WoC pass on renewing the 1st/2nd edition AD&D license? Doesn't that mean that all of the content, rules, artwork, etc... from that era is now open license? One could take those system and put out a game using them as a template and I think it will be well received, well.. among certain crowds.
The rules can already be used. That's how the OSR cottage industry exists with the different clones. The things that wouldn't be usable are brand specific names (like Mordenkeinen) and those are still in use for 5e.
Ah, what about art for instance? Lets if you wanted to use the art from some of the early AD&D manuals or the like? Those should be out of license right? Other than specific things as you mention?

Not trying to derail, simple answer would be fine. Just interested.
Last edited by Xenich on April 27th, 2024, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

The best marketing is your own track record.

People are baffled by this.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Xenich wrote: April 27th, 2024, 15:35

Ah, what about art for instance? Lets if you wanted to use the art from some of the early AD&D manuals or the like? Those should be out of license right? Other than specific things as you mention?

Not trying to derail, simple answer would be fine. Just interested.
I don't know, but I doubt they've let ownership of the art expire. There was a history of D&D art book that Wotc/Hasbro put out a few years ago.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 26th, 2024, 14:12
I can't wait to see the overinflated egos at larian pop with their next game when it flops.
Understandable why you can't wait. Will be 7 years.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: April 27th, 2024, 14:32
My kids love Ovaltine.
Anyone who says marketing doesn't work is probably a childlless anti-natalist. Kids want absolutely everything that they see marketed, and this includes teenagers.
Metalhead33

Post by Metalhead33 »

The only time marketing worked for me, was when I saw some Facebook ad for the Elf Village Simulator and decided to give it a try.

Otherwise, seeing any form of advertisement makes me hate the product and LESS likely to buy it.