We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Manor Lords - Early Access out now

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Other lord captured half the map while I was figuring out how to outfit a single unit of militia. Had so many families move in I couldn't sustain food levels, decided to let hunters kill more of the local deer population and accidentally drove them to extinction. Winter hit and I now have a single chicken coop producing food for 80 people. It's not looking good.
Anon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 01:08
Is the early access worth the bucks?
I wouldn't buy it at this stage. There are a lot of missing descriptions and features.

Tags:
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

If you are interested in playing the game in the future, it's not a bad idea to buy it now, to take advantage of the discount, and sit on it after a few months of patches. It'll only get more expensive after the discount period expires.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Nemesis wrote: April 27th, 2024, 17:11
If you are interested in playing the game in the future, it's not a bad idea to buy it now, to take advantage of the discount, and sit on it after a few months of patches. It'll only get more expensive after the discount period expires.
" If money is tight right now or you're still uncertain, we'll run those 25% discounts often and give you plenty of opportunities to get the game later as well, no one should feel any fear of missing out or any kind of pressure. "

Pretty sure it won't increase in price after a few months, and they've already stated in the release date news post on Steam that they will run the 25% discounts often... nice try, shill
Anon

Post by Anon »

krokodil wrote: April 27th, 2024, 18:01
" If money is tight right now or you're still uncertain, we'll run those 25% discounts often and give you plenty of opportunities to get the game later as well, no one should feel any fear of missing out or any kind of pressure. "

Pretty sure it won't increase in price after a few months, and they've already stated in the release date news post on Steam that they will run the 25% discounts often... nice try, shill
I've pirated this shit considering Oyster's suggestion, if I like it I'll buy it
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 27th, 2024, 02:21
Other lord captured half the map while I was figuring out how to outfit a single unit of militia. Had so many families move in I couldn't sustain food levels, decided to let hunters kill more of the local deer population and accidentally drove them to extinction. Winter hit and I now have a single chicken coop producing food for 80 people. It's not looking good.
I wouldn't buy it at this stage. There are a lot of missing descriptions and features.
The secret to early game food is chickens and veggies. Praise the cock! :lol:

But anyway, a single town requires a shitload of micromanagement. There's simply no way a normal person will be able to handle multiple towns. RTS grandmasters? Sure. But the average Joe will either stick to the initial town or refund the game after multiple starvations. The fact that the game makes you jump through so many hoops and logistics are abysmal sure doesn't help. I was having people whine about lack of food and beer despite having these items in stock. Just how many people assigned to logistics does the game actually expect me to have? It's cutting down on so many other activities. No matter how much your town grows, you're always short staffed in Manor Lords.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

I think I figured out a strong build order:
  • Pause the game and look at the map. You want your starting position to be near either rich berries or rich animals.
  • Order an Ox. Don't spend your money on anything else as you'll need it to setup your first trade route.
  • Build some roads from your initial hitching post and into the King's road. Don't move the post just yet.
  • Build a logging camp and set it to highest priority. IMPORTANT: don't build your initial stuff too far away from the starting hitching post.
  • Build 3 houses with HUGE backyards. And I mean HUGE, take like half the screen. No, actually you should go with small backyard extension for chicken coops. Veggie homes should be built around the sowing season.
  • Once you have enough wood, build three more houses. You can go for duplexes. You need to have 6 slots by the time April starts.
  • Build a market, warehouse and granary close to each other and the houses. This will be your city center and homes should be built around it. IMPORTANT: DON'T make the market too big. You want 5-7 stalls maximum.
  • When April comes along you should have 6 families. Build either a forager hut or hunter lodge and staff it fully. Take people out of logging if needed.
  • Build the trading post CLOSE to your city center. Staff it with one family and open an export route to sell your excess berries/meat. You now have a source of cash and the game opens up.
  • Build woodcutters for firewood. Yes, there are two wood buildings. Invest your first point into "trade logistics" and your second in "better deals", which will allow you to start importing goods.
From here you should build the church, water supply and upgrade your first few houses. Prioritize duplexes with empty backyards for upgrades. Put vegetables in your tier 1 houses with the gigantic backyard and chicken coops in houses with small backyards. Don't build either extension on duplexes since it's just a waste.

If you started with animals, once the population allows you should go for the tannery and a cobbler (on a lvl 2 duplex). WARNING: DO NOT convert a house into any kind of artisan without checking your population first. Artisans are permanently removed from the general laborer pool. Your first two artisans should be a cobbler and a fletcher. Both goods are very easy to produce and very lucrative exports, allowing you to stop relying on berries and/or meat exports for cash.

Once you have a small bank of essential goods (food and fuel for at least two months and a decent stock of tier 1 clothing) you should rally one unit of spear militia and raid the nearest bandit camp. A single spear unit can comfortably beat a unit of brigands with little to no casualties. Loot the camp and send the resources to your town. With this initial cash you can kickstart your import economy. Setup a blacksmith and import some iron slabs. Start weapon production and export everything. From here on out you're pretty much set for a smooth midgame.
Last edited by Nemesis on April 30th, 2024, 01:07, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fix shitty formatting
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

If you guys like Manor Lords I’d suggest checking out Song of Syx. It’s a pixelated game, so the graphics are nowhere near Manor Lords, but the depth to the game is insane. Running out of people and don’t like the bugmen? Enslave them and force them to mine resources, but make sure to keep them away from your people because they too hate bugmen.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Cogemeister wrote: April 30th, 2024, 07:27
If you guys like Manor Lords I’d suggest checking out Song of Syx.
A lot of interest in this game since sseth's video.
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Nemesis wrote: April 30th, 2024, 13:00
Cogemeister wrote: April 30th, 2024, 07:27
If you guys like Manor Lords I’d suggest checking out Song of Syx.
I knew what it was but I assumed it was just some random “build and survive” not a giant game where you build, survive, conquer, enslave, trade, etc. but yeah I didn’t start really looking into it til Sseth’s video. Also the dev is pretty cool and will interact with people and is very receptive to criticism (he also plays his own game).
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Anon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 02:07
krokodil wrote: April 27th, 2024, 01:49
it's on gog if you catch my meaning
Indeed, but I don't mind paying for the game if the developer truly deserves it
He does.Sure, there are features missing and all that, but so far I've had one crash in about 25 hours playtime, the game looks gorgeous, most of the stuff meant to be in the game is there. I'm not sure if I will continue to play it for the moment since I've had a few rocky starts and its hard to fix the trade economy currently if you screw up, but I'm certain that over the following months or even years updates will come, since its a project born out of passion.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

That's one thing I can't fault sseth for - he really does shine a spotlight on obscure games and developers that deserve some love and really helps them sell their game. I remember that his Starsector video ultimately crashed the developer's webpage from the sheer amount of traffic and purchase requests that came flooding in after the video.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

gerey wrote: April 30th, 2024, 20:14
That's one thing I can't fault sseth for - he really does shine a spotlight on obscure games and developers that deserve some love and really helps them sell their game. I remember that his Starsector video ultimately crashed the developer's webpage from the sheer amount of traffic and purchase requests that came flooding in after the video.
yeah like... Caves of Qud!

total e-celeb death
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

krokodil wrote: April 30th, 2024, 20:38
The devs once again confirming leftists are amoral vermin is on them, not on sseth. He did them a solid and they thanked him by spitting in his face.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

is this playable, someone is comparing this to songs of syx, but that one is just some caesar clone with thousands of people, atrocious combat and some lame afterthought strategic layer

is manor lords any better than that?
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

he really does shine a spotlight on obscure games
I'm curious how he finds them. I imagine the people in his private Discord server pitch him games all the time.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

songs of syx and starsector are hardly obscure
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

asf wrote: April 30th, 2024, 23:41
songs of syx and starsector are hardly obscure
I hadn't heard of either before he did videos on them.

Then again, both games are off my beaten path, so maybe that's just my bias at play?
herkzter

Post by herkzter »

Nemesis wrote: April 30th, 2024, 23:40
he really does shine a spotlight on obscure games
I'm curious how he finds them. I imagine the people in his private Discord server pitch him games all the time.
it's entirely possible that sseth was a rpgcodex poster - or lurked there: he mentions the site in his arcanum review

if you're posting on either here or rgpcodex, it's very likely you know a fair amount of games that can only be found off the beaten path
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

krokodil wrote: April 30th, 2024, 20:38

total e-celeb death
I was actually looking into CoQ and the devs reacting like trannies to Sseth, and the community of discord & Reddit faggots throwing a fit made me decide to NOT buy the game. So if it wasn’t for Sseth’s review I wouldn’t have known that about the developers.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

codex was all over songs of syx when it was released, which btw is much better than manor lords

starsector had some following there also, back when it was just a combat demo
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

asf wrote: May 1st, 2024, 02:35
codex was all over songs of syx when it was released, which btw is much better than manor lords

starsector had some following there also, back when it was just a combat demo
Manor lords is in such a weird state. The graphics and music look too good to be a solo dev, but when you look at the actual gameplay you start to see some major flaws. Lotta copium going on on /v/ and /vst/ and looks like a lot of shilling on YouTube “Manor Lords is the best game of the decade”.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 1st, 2024, 16:46
Let me know when they fire this designer who responded to a question asking about churches by asking if they'd be satisfied by the inclusion of mosques & temples
Churches AND mosques should be in the game, and serve as the fuel for why they fight. Deus Vult vs. Allahu Akbar! Where's the fun in a medieval rampage if we can't go on crusade/jihad?
Last edited by Norfleet on May 1st, 2024, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

game feels very barebones, the simulation is very simplistic

the overall idea is a much shallower copy of old caesar/pharaoh games

the automation is pretty crappy also, you have to micromanage things like where wood camps are, when to allocate/deallocate farmers, it is pretty stupid
Last edited by asf on May 1st, 2024, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.