We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

When and how will AI and Video Games collide?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 16th, 2023, 17:16
Worth pointing out that the decision space in Chess is absolutely tiny compared to the massive majority of video games.
Also, AI that has no restriction on communication or acts as a monolithic entity will dominate team-based competitive games first. But really, it's just cheating. One of the most difficult aspects of these games is good communication & team play, something it doesn't have to do at all unless it's a constraint put on it somehow.
I agree, take a fighting game AI for example. Even the AI on its peak difficulty setting can be totally dominated by skilled human players. This is because AI can be baited into predictable responses using actions which have vulnerabilities, delays, recovery frames, etc. The AI is subject to the same mechanics as the player in a fighting game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

somerandomdude wrote: April 30th, 2023, 18:29
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 16th, 2023, 17:16
Worth pointing out that the decision space in Chess is absolutely tiny compared to the massive majority of video games.
Also, AI that has no restriction on communication or acts as a monolithic entity will dominate team-based competitive games first. But really, it's just cheating. One of the most difficult aspects of these games is good communication & team play, something it doesn't have to do at all unless it's a constraint put on it somehow.
I agree, take a fighting game AI for example. Even the AI on its peak difficulty setting can be totally dominated by skilled human players. This is because AI can be baited into predictable responses using actions which have vulnerabilities, delays, recovery frames, etc.
Scripted AI is predictable because it does what a human told it to do.
Machine learning AI would probably mop the floor with all the best players because they're just too unpredictable. This is the first time humans have had to compete with something truly alien that we cannot comprehend or predict. Most tactics rely on understanding and reacting to what your opponent is doing, something that would be impossible.

I'm not convinced that necessarily means it's better, it's just different in a way we can't really compete with. It's like a human having a weight-lifting competition with a gorilla.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 30th, 2023, 18:36
Scripted AI is predictable because it does what a human told it to do.
Machine learning AI would probably mop the floor with all the best players because they're just too unpredictable. This is the first time humans have had to compete with something truly alien that we cannot comprehend or predict. Most tactics rely on understanding and reacting to what your opponent is doing, something that would be impossible.

I'm not convinced that necessarily means it's better, it's just different in a way we can't really compete with. It's like a human having a weight-lifting competition with a gorilla.
I'd like to see machine learning AI go up against the top fighting game players who compete at evo. You might be right, but I'd still like to see the results. It's possible that there ends up being just as big of a gap as there is in chess, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the human players came out on top out of a best of 10.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

They are enemies of everything good. Can't wait when they get replaced by AI.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Acrux wrote: May 1st, 2023, 06:03
Modders find a way to make Skyrim interesting; vidya journos mad.

https://kotaku.com/chatgpt-ai-skyrim-pc ... 1850390097
ChatGPT integration is nice and all, but fundamentally it misses the mark. If I wanted more natural interactions with NPCs, I'd go out and talk to people. I have 0 fucking interest in hearing them, or ChatGPT talk about inane bullshit.
I am however looking forward to an AI DM.