We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Elder Scrolls

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:48
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:47
I know you're mostly joking
Not in the least. I've probably put more time into MMOs than some of you have been alive. I even learned how to speak Chinese by playing Lineage 2.
Sure but well, MMORPGs have pretty different demographics. OSRS got almost no presence in Asia for example and the bulk of the players are western.

Tags:
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:50
(I'm not allowed to play MMOs anymore because I get addicted)
This hits hard, I'm also trying to play less (though it's basically the best possible past-time (pastime?) for work which makes stopping altogether almost impossible for me)
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:16
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14
TBH I feel for younger players, it's hard to understand what a dev that actually cares about their game is like if you've never experienced it. Check out some of those bigger passion project private servers, your shit will be slapped the moment you try to cheat or RMT. That's what MMOs used to be like.
I'm looking into a LOTRO private server that's soon gonna launch (echoes of angmar if you wanna check), I might even make a topic here if I play it and find it enjoyable.
yeah i wanna play that too in fact i joined the server a while ago but i didnt want to give my phone number for activation
Anon

Post by Anon »

gastovski wrote: March 31st, 2024, 09:40
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:16
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14
TBH I feel for younger players, it's hard to understand what a dev that actually cares about their game is like if you've never experienced it. Check out some of those bigger passion project private servers, your shit will be slapped the moment you try to cheat or RMT. That's what MMOs used to be like.
I'm looking into a LOTRO private server that's soon gonna launch (echoes of angmar if you wanna check), I might even make a topic here if I play it and find it enjoyable.
yeah i wanna play that too in fact i joined the server a while ago but i didnt want to give my phone number for activation
It's pretty easy to get a fake number for these kinda things
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 02:14
EQ and UO playercount was pretty minimal in comparison, you can't have a GM comb through 200k accounts lol

Plus GMs holds so much power and are so prone to corruption, employing them always degenerate into corruption scandals and are highly unprofessional.
Bank boxes in UO set off a flag when 1 million gold was placed into the account. I'm sure there were other automated monitoring systems in place in both games to check for abnormal amounts of resources, but when chinkoids are running your game and the bot armies bring in half of your income...
Anon

Post by Anon »

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:24
EQ and UO playercount was pretty minimal in comparison, you can't have a GM comb through 200k accounts lol

Plus GMs holds so much power and are so prone to corruption, employing them always degenerate into corruption scandals and are highly unprofessional.
Bank boxes in UO set off a flag when 1 million gold was placed into the account. I'm sure there were other automated monitoring systems in place in both games to check for abnormal amounts of resources, but when chinkoids are running your game and the bot armies bring in half of your income...
Most MMOs have a similar system, but obviously the goldfarmers aren't stupid and devise ways to circumvent that by, for example, transferring smaller chunks of money, or dying in PvP to trade the loot to the PKer etc, so it isn't really this straightforward.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:32

Most MMOs have a similar system, but obviously the goldfarmers aren't stupid and devise ways to circumvent that by, for example, transferring smaller chunks of money, or dying in PvP to trade the loot to the PKer etc, so it isn't really this straightforward.
It's not that hard to put systems in place to stop this sort of thing, if they wanted to stop the goldfarmers and botters they could do so easily.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:54
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 12:32

It's not that hard to put systems in place to stop this sort of thing, if they wanted to stop the goldfarmers and botters they could do so easily.
The issue is also that if you start being too hardlined you'll also start banning a lot of legitimate players who'd trade huge amounts of gold for various reasons. Then you'd need to comb through each appeal, but when you get thousands of daily requests because your automated system is too rigid, you got an even bigger problem than just letting bots roam around.

Your fundamental point is right though, definitely the companies want bots around because they bring revenue themselves plus bring the impression of the game being fuller than it really is.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:04
The issue is also that if you start being too hardlined you'll also start banning a lot of legitimate players who'd trade huge amounts of gold for various reasons. Then you'd need to comb through each appeal, but when you get thousands of daily requests because your automated system is too rigid, you got an even bigger problem than just letting bots roam around.
It's ultimately why automated systems don't work. There is (currently) no replacement for direct human moderation by non-pozzed individuals.
Anon

Post by Anon »

TKVNC wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:06
It's ultimately why automated systems don't work. There is (currently) no replacement for direct human moderation by non-pozzed individuals.
Yeah but then we got to the other problem that it isn't feasible to comb through tens, hundreds of thousands of daily requests, plus permanent risk of corruption from human moderators, which would also be a bigger problem than bots themselves.
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:13
TKVNC wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:06
Yeah but then we got to the other problem that it isn't feasible to comb through tens, hundreds of thousands of daily requests, plus permanent risk of corruption from human moderators, which would also be a bigger problem than bots themselves.
Then the objectively best system is full drop of items when you die, and zero moderation. Let the people govern themselves.
Anon

Post by Anon »

There are some MMOs like that like Mortal Online which are pretty shit

But yeah in conclusion that's the biggest challenge of tackling the botting problem: solutions people try devise will lead to unintended consequences that end up being worse than the bots themselves.
Last edited by Anon on March 31st, 2024, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

You only need to permaban a few players before others start wondering if they should risk their account they've put thousands of hours into. For reference, the harshest ban in WoW Classic for gold buying was 7 days and you were allowed to keep everything you bought with the gold, and this was being struck by lightning rare.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:27

But yeah in conclusion that's the biggest challenge of tackling the botting problem: solutions people try devise will lead to unintended consequences that end up being worse than the bots themselves.
It's a shit system. But the reality is, only shaming RWT/RMT Whales will ever stop them. When I used to play WoW, if there was evidence of Whales, I'd never invite them to raids, and actively grief them if I could.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:33
You only need to permaban a few players before others start wondering if they should risk their account they've put thousands of hours into. For reference, the harshest ban in WoW Classic for gold buying was 7 days and you were allowed to keep everything you bought with the gold, and this was being struck by lightning rare.
The issue with this is that you're presupposing people think rationally but they don't. I've seen plenty people get permabanned from MMOs and gold buying/botting is still a thing (even from people who get banned and make a new account) because people are stupid, addicted and think it won't happen with him.
TKVNC wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:33
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:27

It's a shit system. But the reality is, only shaming RWT/RMT Whales will ever stop them. When I used to play WoW, if there was evidence of Whales, I'd never invite them to raids, and actively grief them if I could.
I wish this was a feasible solution
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

TKVNC wrote: March 31st, 2024, 13:25
Then the objectively best system is full drop of items when you die, and zero moderation. Let the people govern themselves.

Disagree
The people will not govern themselves. They will rather become totally enslaved (in Minecraft) to any well-organized bot gangs.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Did you know that in final high isle dlc there is a tranny looking repulsive tree character within main story called "they/them"?

Now, last year with Necrom dlc they have made up a silly "female" daedra which Herma Mora writes her off from existence

This is her now, doesn't even look like an elder scrolls character at all looks like out of place, obviously diversity agenda here

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

ESO lore is pure slop. MMOs poison the lore for any franchise they touch.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

TES lore ends with Morrowind.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

TES lore ends with Daggerfall, we don't recognize breton retcons in this household.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

False, it will never end with Microsoft
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Bretons weren't retconned. They're still nedics.