We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Opinion on the witcher franchise?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Loveless

Post by Loveless »

#metoo in 2017: cancel men for sexually abusing women
#metoo in 2024: cancel men for avoiding women
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Loveless wrote: April 21st, 2024, 00:38
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

The Witcher 3 is one of the best more recent games. It is one of the only 2 games I have all the achievements for. People who complain about the combat are just shit at the game.

The author is a prick and the Netflix show is ass. Never played the first and second game either.
Last edited by StudiedAsleep on April 21st, 2024, 02:56, edited 2 times in total.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Irenaeus wrote: April 21st, 2024, 00:52
Loveless wrote: April 21st, 2024, 00:38
Tbh Henry Caville is a shit actor he was only good for Superman. The choice of cast for the Netflix show was all shit though. They’re all ugly as fuck.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Last time I played TW3 I fought a group of 3 random bandits for like 10 minutes because they had so much health and/or the level difference penalty. I didn't even have amnesia!
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 21st, 2024, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 21st, 2024, 10:11
Last time I played TW3 I fought a group of 3 random bandits for like 10 minutes because they had so much health and/or the level difference penalty. I didn't even have amnesia!
If they had a red skull on their health bar then they were a higher level and you weren’t supposed to fight them yet. Otherwise you were using the wrong sword, your gear was broken, or you never upgraded your gear.
Last edited by StudiedAsleep on April 21st, 2024, 12:29, edited 3 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I think it's good design when a random bandit has more hp and does more damage than a giant griffin
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Wasn't he at least true to the role though? From what I had read he was an avid fan of the series and he took playing the role seriously. The reason I heard he left is because they were completely destroying the show with all the usual crap and he just couldn't take being a part of it.

Would that be accurate?
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

StudiedAsleep wrote: April 21st, 2024, 02:53
The Witcher 3 is one of the best more recent games. It is one of the only 2 games I have all the achievements for. People who complain about the combat are just shit at the game.

The author is a prick and the Netflix show is ass. Never played the first and second game either.
No, the game is easy, it's just a slog through and through. Either way, there's plenty of "more recent" RPGs better than that turd. (Except Hearts of Stone, perfection). It's not even top 10 in that time frame.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 29th, 2024, 22:01

No, the game is easy, it's just a slog through and through. Either way, there's plenty of "more recent" RPGs better than that turd. (Except Hearts of Stone, perfection). It's not even top 10 in that time frame.
Wouldn't say the game is easy. If you chose the harder difficulty first then I can see why you think it is a slog. You need to learn how combat works first, such as countering and exploiting weaknesses. You also need to learn how to use the bestiary and mutagens. Since you say it is a "slog" to get through I assume you jumped on a harder difficulty expecting to whack your way through anything that stands in front of you, but instead every encounter resulted in a health grind. This is a common issue amongst "gamers" who spent most their time playing CSGO and Fortnite. They can't last 2 minutes figuring out a proper combat system without giving up. It's just not how the game works and is one of the reasons why it is one of the better most-recent RPGs.
Last edited by StudiedAsleep on April 29th, 2024, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Opinion on the witcher franchise?
it is shit
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

StudiedAsleep wrote: April 29th, 2024, 23:04

Wouldn't say the game is easy. If you chose the harder difficulty first then I can see why you think it is a slog. You need to learn how combat works first, such as countering and exploiting weaknesses. You also need to learn how to use the bestiary and mutagens. Since you say it is a "slog" to get through I assume you jumped on a harder difficulty expecting to whack your way through anything that stands in front of you, but instead every encounter resulted in a health grind. This is a common issue amongst "gamers" who spent most their time playing CSGO and Fortnite. They can't last 2 minutes figuring out a proper combat system without giving up. It's just not how the game works and is one of the reasons why it is one of the better most-recent RPGs.
Where is retarded react when you need it?

The game is a slog because it's 100+ hours of the same fights over and over again and the retarded leveling system. Mutagens, bestiary, crafting, alchemy, etc., i know about these systems already and knew how to use them. There wasn't a single fight frozen in my mind being difficult and needing to overcome adversity.

You are over selling the depth of combat, it is mediocre. I'm so glad you brought up Counterstrike because mastering the mechanics and understanding how the "combat" works in CS (+ positioning and a dozen other factors) takes thousands of hours to master while you can get the hang of Witcher 3 in a few hours of playing.

Ironic how you bring up "gamers" who have no patience to learn anything as a point for Witcher 3, considering you sound like someone from reddit who saw GOTY and needed to play it. You actually sound like a friend of mine who never touched an RPG (until W3) in his life and didn't know I play them, told me that I probably won't like Witcher 3 because it's a really hardcore game.
junior

Post by junior »

witcher 3 combat was just spam light attack/dodge/quen lol
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

junior wrote: April 30th, 2024, 15:06
witcher 3 combat was just spam light attack/dodge/quen lol
witcher 3 combat was twirl around in a circle and immediately kill anything, completely broken
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 30th, 2024, 14:51

The game is a slog because it's 100+ hours of the same fights over and over again and the retarded leveling system. Mutagens, bestiary, crafting, alchemy, etc., i know about these systems already and knew how to use them. There wasn't a single fight frozen in my mind being difficult and needing to overcome adversity.

You are over selling the depth of combat, it is mediocre. I'm so glad you brought up Counterstrike because mastering the mechanics and understanding how the "combat" works in CS (+ positioning and a dozen other factors) takes thousands of hours to master while you can get the hang of Witcher 3 in a few hours of playing.

Ironic how you bring up "gamers" who have no patience to learn anything as a point for Witcher 3, considering you sound like someone from reddit who saw GOTY and needed to play it. You actually sound like a friend of mine who never touched an RPG (until W3) in his life and didn't know I play them, told me that I probably won't like Witcher 3 because it's a really hardcore game.
i take it based on your Kalkstein avatar you're a Witcher 1 enjoyer though?
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 30th, 2024, 14:51

There is like 80 different monsters in the game and they all have different attack patterns and require different strategies to counter them. It's not really possible to have the same fights over and over again. I really doubt you killed Dettlaff or The Caretaker within the first few tries on Death March. I don't think anyone has done that, even if they were already familiar with the mutagen and alchemy systems.

Tbh I've never played CSGO, so I wouldn't really know and maybe I'm wrong. My assumption is based on the fact it looks like a simplified Call of Duty and the players in gameplay clips always sound pre-pubescent and gay.

I played before it was GOTY. Thought the game looked like ass but it was a gift so I gave it a chance. I don't browse Reddit. Most of the games I played were RPGs.
Last edited by StudiedAsleep on May 1st, 2024, 00:08, edited 11 times in total.
Furin

Post by Furin »

Here's an idea for a fun Witcher 3 run: go to Toussaint as early as possible, unlock mutations, spec into piercing cold, upgrade Aard.

Then you can have fun role playing as a member of the Wild Hunt. Omnidirectional blizzards ftw!

Best done on Death March difficulty for added hilarity. I had even more fun doing this than making an op alchemy build (which is also pretty fun imo).
Last edited by Furin on May 1st, 2024, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Tbh I liked all three games. They all had enough to keep me interested, though the length of 1 and 2 I found more reasonable.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

I fell asleep because it's a movie and not a game.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Nooneatall wrote: May 1st, 2024, 01:47
Also the gameplay is baby's first action rpg. Enemies have terrible AI, difficulty is just stat bloat, "stats" are just grindy fetch quests to get a better sword. Made worse in 3 because of random loot, getting a powerful weapon early made the game a breeze. Oh are you struggling? Just spam the aoe cone stagger spell. The only way you lose a fight in Witcher is if you get bored of doing 3% of the enemies HP per hit and just start spamming.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Grey Wolf of Turan wrote: October 14th, 2023, 05:58
The witcher series are some of the best games ever made. True classics and the best thing to come out of poland in the last 100 years.
im polish and i think they are trash. sapkowski writings are trash. there were never serious btw, goofy comedy bits
Red7

Post by Red7 »

combat is shit cause u can just roll all the time like retard and dont get hit.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

I enjoyed the cutscenes to be honest
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Red7 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 05:46

You can use sidestep dodge if you're good at the game.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

Boontaker wrote: May 1st, 2024, 04:57
Also the gameplay is baby's first action rpg. Enemies have terrible AI, difficulty is just stat bloat, "stats" are just grindy fetch quests to get a better sword. Made worse in 3 because of random loot, getting a powerful weapon early made the game a breeze. Oh are you struggling? Just spam the aoe cone stagger spell. The only way you lose a fight in Witcher is if you get bored of doing 3% of the enemies HP per hit and just start spamming.
If you're only doing 3% damage to enemies you didn't prepare before an encounter.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

StudiedAsleep wrote: May 1st, 2024, 05:53
Red7 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 05:46

You can use sidestep dodge if you're good at the game.
going on floor when opponent is up is the fucking last thing u want to do in any combat situation

unless he got knife and u r strapped
Last edited by Red7 on May 1st, 2024, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

evey witcher games are top class of rpgs this is an undeniable fact

first game's combat was very chaotic which by far was the best