We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Episodic narrative RPGs

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Episodic narrative RPGs

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I am not referring to video games that are developed or released in an episodic format. I am referring to something more like Dungeons & Dragons Online, where (nearly) each quest was part of an overarching adventure with recurring elements. There are many different adventures overall.

Are there any other RPGs like this?
Dragon Age Origins is sort of like this with its expansion modules, I really wish they made more of these and I liked them a lot.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Adventure Quest/DragonFable if you're 12 and you live close enough to school that you can go home and play during lunch.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Dragon Age 2 - Prologue's about escaping Darkspawn, Act 1 is about raising money to join a Deep Roads expedition so you can buy a house, Act 2 is about the growing Qunari crisis, Act 3 is about the growing mage/templar crisis.

Pathfinder Kingmaker - at Chris Avellone's suggestion they tied them all together, but in the original adventure path the six modules were all unrelated. Wrath of the Righteous is a bit similar (six arcs with their own climax) though it was a bit more tied together with a clear ultimate goal from the start.

I suppose there also games like Hard West and Woke West where instead of one character going on multiple adventures you play a series of characters with their own goals.