We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Fallout: New Vegas

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

Is Fallout: New Vegas a Good Successor to the Classics? (and why?)

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 56

Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:59
Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:57
Why are you guys like this game so much? It criticizes, mocks, and ridicules American society, your beloved capitalism, and the USA in general.
House is canonically the good guy.
Fallout Nev Vegas didn't get a sequel, where is the canonicity information from and where it is playing any role?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:30
Why are you guys like this game so much? It criticizes, mocks, and ridicules American society, your beloved capitalism, and the USA in general.
Fallout Nev Vegas didn't get a sequel, where is the canonicity information from and where it is playing any role?
It came to me in a dream.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:32

Well, if we going down to headcanon, then in my dream independent ending is a canon, thanks Mr.House for infrastructure and robots.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:37
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:32

Well, if we going down to headcanon, then in my dream independent ending is a canon, thanks Mr.House for infrastructure and robots.
independent means nothing since every variable is interchangeable and forced. Basically just NCR victory
Anon

Post by Anon »

House is canonically the good guy. And House is 100% american.
Sawyer knew this, it's why he made it so you have to kill the BoS to join him to make him less appealing, it originally wasn't so.
House was the incarnation of shitlibism lol. Plus if you side with him you see everybody getting fucked up by him in the post ending. Definitely not the good guy
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:59
Sawyer knew this, it's why he made it so you have to kill the BoS to join him to make him less appealing, it originally wasn't so.
House was the incarnation of shitlibism lol. Plus if you side with him you see everybody getting fucked up by him in the post ending. Definitely not the good guy
You seem to have confused House with NCR.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

You sure about that?
Last edited by Nammu Archag on April 20th, 2024, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:02

You seem to have confused House with NCR.
NCR are like the 60s americans in my understanding.
Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:03

You sure about that?
That's what shitlibs typically say, but for example as happens with House, once they get what they want, they basically only care about maximizing their profits and are more than willing to make everybody's lives miserable for it just because they can. His ending goes in that direction.
Last edited by Anon on April 20th, 2024, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:07
NCR is basically peak corrupted libtard democracy. The game goes to great lengths to explain how NCR is controlled by brahmin barons and the elections are bought and paid for.
That's what shitlibs typically say, but for example as happens with House, once they get what they want, they basically only care about maximizing their profits and are more than willing to make everybody's lives miserable for it just because they can. His ending goes in that direction.
Most of Vegas wasn't even hit by bombs because House shielded it, it would have been completely unharmed if his package wasn't delayed. You can't just say he won't do it, because he has a track record of actually doing impressive things nobody else could do.

The only two options worth considering are House and Legion. And House is essentially Legion+, with the added benefit of the fact that the dictator isn't going to die for a very, very long time. The legion will fall apart without Caesar.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 20th, 2024, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

If you think House gives a shit about maximizing profits (literally bottlecaps at this point btw) you didn't really pay attention. He is trying to bring about a new industrial revolution. It is not about the short-term conditions, which is what the corrupt political machines of the NCR care about to stay in office. It's about Vegas and humanity in the long run. Besides, he just doesn't interfere much with the lives of the people of Vegas beyond improving the economy and some security in Vegas proper. Living conditions are based upon the semi-autonomous communities of the area, not on House's direct interference.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:10
NCR is basically peak corrupted libtard democracy. The game goes to great lengths to explain how NCR is controlled by brahmin barons and the elections are bought and paid for.
Most of Vegas wasn't even hit by bombs because House shielded it, it would have been completely unharmed if his package wasn't delayed. You can't just say he won't do it, because he has a track record of actually doing impressive things nobody else could do.
1- As was America in the 60s. Btw in FNV every side is corrupt and have shitty hidden agendas, that's kind of how fallout writes things.

2- He shielded Vegas to also shield himself, it doesn't mean anything by itself. But sure I agree that he does a lot of impressive things I'm not denying that. He encapsulates the inventive billionaire shitlibs like Elon Musk pretty much.

3- The truly good guys were the Legion btw, but obviously they could never depict them this way.
Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:14
If you think House gives a shit about maximizing profits (literally bottlecaps at this point btw) you didn't really pay attention. He is trying to bring about a new industrial revolution. It is not about the short-term conditions, which is what the corrupt political machines of the NCR care about to stay in office. It's about Vegas and humanity in the long run. Besides, he just doesn't interfere much with the lives of the people of Vegas beyond improving the economy and some security in Vegas proper. Living conditions are based upon the semi-autonomous communities of the area, not on House's direct interference.
Yes that's his discourse, but the ending shows (in my first playthrough I chose to side with him because I believed what he said) that it was mostly a ruse and he cares mostly about being richer
Last edited by Anon on April 20th, 2024, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:14
1- As was America in the 60s. Btw in FNV every side is corrupt and have shitty hidden agendas, that's kind of how fallout writes things.

2- He shielded Vegas to also shield himself, it doesn't mean anything by itself. But sure I agree that he does a lot of impressive things I'm not denying that. He encapsulates the inventive billionaire shitlibs like Elon Musk pretty much.

3- The truly good guys were the Legion btw, but obviously they could never depict them this way.
It's insulting to compare House to Musk. Musk is a lolbert grifter, House is a man of action and vastly more impressive in every way.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:17

It's insulting to compare House to Musk. Musk is a lolbert grifter, House is a man of action and vastly more impressive in every way.
His ending shows otherwise
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

1- As was America in the 60s.
I don't quite get what point you're trying to make here. Yes, America has slowly been eroded from its original goals, mainly by turning it into a democracy that it was never intended to be. Also through the judiciary usurping power.
No Caesar, no legion. Even if you cure him, he's still a man.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Yes that's his discourse, but the ending shows (in my first playthrough I chose to side with him because I believed what he said) that it was mostly a ruse and he cares mostly about being richer

really now?
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:19
1- As was America in the 60s.
I don't quite get what point you're trying to make here. Yes, America has slowly been eroded from its original goals, mainly by turning it into a democracy that it was never intended to be. Also through the judiciary usurping power.
No Caesar, no legion. Even if you cure him, he's still a man.
It's not too deep, I only think NCR has an essence where they try to solve things in the republican way but also gets corrupted by bad actors from the inside.

Well yes that's one of the weaknesses of an authoritarian regime, he should've been more concerned about succession
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:22
I only think NCR has an essence where they try to solve things in the republican way but also gets corrupted by bad actors from the inside.
NCR had two presidents over a 100 year span, the second one being the daughter of the first.

I prefer my dictators to be honest.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:23
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:22
I only think NCR has an essence where they try to solve things in the republican way but also gets corrupted by bad actors from the inside.
NCR had two presidents over a 100 year span, the second one being the daughter of the first.

I prefer my dictators to be honest.
And all of its prosperity was thanks to those two monarchs. Afterwards, the brahmin barons and grifters took over and turned it into a banana republic
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:21

really now?
I remembered it to be worse but maybe it was my fault for having messed up some things instead of a perfect good ending.

But even then, if you care to see well, House doesn't do anything to improve anyone's lives at the minimum, and at worst he's keeping watch over everybody to assert his power
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:32
House doesn't do anything to improve anyone's lives at the minimum,
Average person in the Fallout universe is getting robbed, raped, and eaten by cannibal raiders. Average person in New Vegas with House in charage is safe, has somewhere to live, and food to eat.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 20th, 2024, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:33
Average person in New Vegas with House in charage is safe, has somewhere to live, and food to eat.
you can tell this is true because you don't get attacked by starving hobos every time you enter the city :)
Anon

Post by Anon »

Average person in the Fallout universe is getting robbed, raped, and eaten by cannibal raiders. Average person in New Vegas with House in charage is safe, has somewhere to live, and food to eat.
Any other perfectly good ending goes the same way lol
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:21

really now?
I remembered it to be worse but maybe it was my fault for having messed up some things instead of a perfect good ending.

But even then, if you care to see well, House doesn't do anything to improve anyone's lives at the minimum, and at worst he's keeping watch over everybody to assert his power
Without him, Vegas would just be an irradiated shithole surrounded by cannibals and raiders. Without him, none of the communities around Vegas would have access to basic infrastructure or jobs, let alone their independence. They would either be enslaved by the Legion and then scattered in its ensuing collapse, or taxed endlessly by the NCR and forced into its crony system. Also keep in mind that the families of the strip are actually quite large and all of them have access to better amenities than most people today. And yet none of that is enough I guess.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:15
Even if someone doesn't agree with his philosophy, he's so steadfast in his beliefs and uncompromising in his convictions that you can't help but respect him unless you're a coon. He also embodies a lot of the old WASP values in relation to things like work ethic and the bind of his word. Probably why the soylings hate him so much and why the tv show pissed all over his legacy.

As the courier, I always fulfill my end of the contract with him because it is objectively the right thing to do
Most compelling was his plan for a future that could open the series up and get real with the setting, instead of recycling old themes and pop culture references for another 300 years. New stuff is nice.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:38

Without him, Vegas would just be an irradiated shithole surrounded by cannibals and raiders. Without him, none of the communities around Vegas would have access to basic infrastructure or jobs, let alone their independence. They would either be enslaved by the Legion and then scattered in its ensuing collapse, or taxed endlessly by the NCR and forced into its crony system. Also keep in mind that the families of the strip are actually quite large and all of them have access to better amenities than most people today. And yet none of that is enough I guess.
He's doing that because he's jockeying for power against both other parties, not out of the kindness of his heart. And the suburbs of new vegas are miserable shitholes already and he doesn't give a damn, he only cares about providing security for the richest parts
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:36

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Not all peaces are equal.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:42
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:36

Enslaving your enemies and peacefully lording the neutral parts? Such an evil dictator!!

Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:42
Nammu Archag wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:38

He's doing that because he's jockeying for power against both other parties, not out of the kindness of his heart. And the suburbs of new vegas are miserable shitholes already and he doesn't give a damn, he only cares about providing security for the richest parts
Freeside is a shithole yeah, but westside and north vegas are nice places to live by wasteland standards
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

most of new vegas is a better place to live than most of current africa.