We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Rusty is trying to jew us into buying games with microtransactions.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I'd rather see a niggo in Medieval Europe Online than a whacky pink flaming sparkly elephant mount or a Minecraft crossover weapon cosmetic from the cash shop and I don't care who knows
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:16
I'd rather see a niggo in Medieval Europe Online
based on your avatar history, I believe you
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:16
I'd rather see a niggo in Medieval Europe Online than a whacky pink flaming sparkly elephant mount or a Minecraft crossover weapon cosmetic from the cash shop and I don't care who knows
europeans coming up with minecraft seems more plausible than a medieval niggo :scratch:
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:11
WhiteShark wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:05
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 18th, 2024, 00:56
I think if you guys look at your own behavior, you'll come to a similar conclusion in that MTX is far less repulsive than libtard propaganda.
Sure, propaganda is more repulsive, at least since they stopped being subtle about it, but that doesn't mean mtx isn't a problem. With mtx, the game has to be just miserable enough without being too miserable for it to work as a monetization scheme. It's deceptive because they present the game as though f2p were a viable and enjoyable experience when the reality is that there's some baseline of mtx you have to buy to have a good time.

tl;dr propaganda bad and mtx also bad.

Another example is OSRS. I was far more willing to put up with bonds than the "pride month" bullshit they added without a vote unlike everything else that required a vote to be added to the game.
Just like 90s and 2000s good games and series that had the roots of wokeism already, I still can put up with stupid woke shit that is completely avoidable and you can completely ignore because OSRS is a quality game other than that. But bonds are the red line and the day they add another mtx I'm out. Same with wokeism though, if they spread the wokeism too much I'll also dip out because it won't be a quality game anymore anyway.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Might want to make a thread cataloging and tracking all of these goofball community managers when I'm not sleepy.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

horstg wrote: April 18th, 2024, 09:58
Warframe went woke?
started with them making trannies community managers so we couldn't even bant in the global chat and got worse from there
global chat went from active as fuck to nearly dead because it was overmoderated for ~toxicity~
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 19th, 2024, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

japanese video game devs are exceptionally bad at any kind of serious storytelling, they always insist upon mixing it with over the top anime action or silly cartoon antics
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 19th, 2024, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 16:52
japanese video game devs are exceptionally bad at any kind of serious storytelling, they always insist upon mixing it with over the top anime action or silly cartoon antics
That's okay so long as they're not trying to be serious.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 16:52
japanese video game devs are exceptionally bad at any kind of serious storytelling
Ace Combat 4 happens to disagree with you.

If anyone dares say otherwise, I'll stab you.
Last edited by gerey on April 19th, 2024, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

worst type of person in gaming is the person who tries to convince you that you don't like games because you aren't young anymore
half of my favorite games I played as an adult, at least 10 years after their release. I still regularly find excellent games released 20-30 years ago.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 20th, 2024, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

My bet goes to Obsidian, best company to promise game and deliver slop

LemonDemonGirl

Post by LemonDemonGirl »

Bioware might be a good choice too
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:13
Rusty is trying to jew us into buying games with microtransactions.
one of the most popular games on steam for most of the year has been a starship troopers knockoff with excessive monetization

monetization of video games is one of the smallest problems it has and is only blown up by the usual suspects because it lets them put the blame for shitty games on "muh ebul capitalists"
if developers & publishers cared one iota about making money, they would not be fucking making redfall or the new saint's row
and we all know what's wrong with those games and why they are the way they are. Usual suspects will, again, point at bullshit like 'muh crunch' when we know for a fucking fact that the best video games that exist were made by people who worked 100 hours a week and slept on the floor in their office.

fuck, arcades used to be more predatory than the average videogame is now
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 20th, 2024, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 14:07

my pick is Beamdog. They've made the first two BG games, after all.

Anon

Post by Anon »

wndrbr wrote: April 20th, 2024, 15:57
Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 14:07

my pick is Beamdog. They've made the first two BG games, after all.

Surely they are pozzed enough but I think they are too small to actually deliver a game in the scope wotc would expect them to (if you weren't just being sarcastic ofc). You do need at least decent visuals to make the normies swallow the slop
Last edited by Anon on April 20th, 2024, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Not a single existing developer — including Larian now — can deliver the kind of reactivity that would be expected after playing the first act of BG3, which is what the majority of people who played it would expect. They'd be better off just shelving the series.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 16:01
Not a single existing developer — including Larian now — can deliver the kind of reactivity that would be expected after playing the first act of BG3, which is what the majority of people who played it would expect. They'd be better off just shelving the series.
Fallout series has taught me people can swallow a dip in quality if there are enough flashy shit to distract them.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 16:04
Fallout series has taught me people can swallow a dip in quality if there are enough flashy shit to distract them.
Act 3 BG3 is a 'dip in quality'. There's no other developer that cares in the least about creating a reactive experience, they just make storybook bullshit.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:21
worst type of person in gaming is the person who tries to convince you that you don't like games because you aren't young anymore
half of my favorite games I played as an adult, at least 10 years after their release. I still regularly find excellent games released 20-30 years ago.
I remember thinking they were right for a while, but then I played older games and the spark was still inside me. You can feel the love put into crafting older games.
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 16:04
Act 3 BG3 is a 'dip in quality'. There's no other developer that cares in the least about creating a reactive experience, they just make storybook bullshit.
True, and do you think normies will care that much?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 20th, 2024, 16:12
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 16:04

True, and do you think normies will care that much?
There's a reason people think Starfield feels completely lifeless, and it's because nothing you do is acknowledged or matters. BG3 opened the reactivity pandora's box for a lot of people who aren't used to video games actually caring if you did something or not, it's why other developers were freaking out so much about it and indirectly insulting Larian.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I have my doubts and think starfield was an outlier due to severe lack of quality in other aspects, not only reactivity. But I hope you're right my friend
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

BG4 is years away, I expect ppl to get used to mediocre reactivity again.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

in the new horizon game if you enter camera mode and zoom in on aloy's face, she has facial hair
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 17:00
in the new horizon game if you enter camera mode and zoom in on aloy's face, she has facial hair
That's not peach fuzz, it's a beard :lol:
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

That's the face of a fat chick. Which dev is this actually modeled after?
Anon

Post by Anon »

@AliciaDurge do you think that's a beautiful character?
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

How much of the engine and codebase does Larian or WOTC get to keep? Will the new studio need to create BG4 completely from scratch?