We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hooray: Shitty gamedevs being fired thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-layoffs- ... e-assembly

first article i found about it, cbf finding a better one

but ye Creative Assembly, the devs that make Total War games, waste fucktons of money to make some gay ass overwatch-type slop, despite that not being their expertise, it has shit reception(unsurprisingly, who wants that shit) they can it (thank fuck) and they cop layoffs

just sad that the money thrown away on a dogshit project nobody asked for could have been spent fixing their golden goose of a game that is Total War: Warhammer III (which while a fun game is riddled with issues, bugs, poor design choices and scummy dlc practices)
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:16
J1M wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:13
As soon as game revenue surpassed movies it was doomed to be invaded by trust fund activists and male feminists.
I assume if we exclude mobile games it's way below movies. Especially if we go a step further and start excluding non-games like the FIFA crap that is essentially digital card collecting.
My understanding is that the global mobile games market is the size of the global film market. And things more accurately described as games are another $100 billion on top of that.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 17th, 2024, 13:50
https://videogames.si.com/news/disco-el ... um-layoffs
Sources: Disco Elysium dev ZA/UM to lay off around a quarter of its staff, cancels new game
ZA/UM in uproar after third project in three years gets canned

Around 24 employees are at risk of redundancy at Disco Elysium maker ZA/UM, according to GLHF sources close to the matter. This is roughly a quarter of the company’s current total workforce.

These cuts go hand in hand with the cancellation of a project codenamed X7, which we’ve been told was a standalone expansion for Disco Elysium. In a call with staff ZA/UM president Ed Tomaszewski said that X7 “was a game that was one to two years away from completion” and could’ve taken “more time and effort than Disco Elysium did.”

ZA/UM CEO Ilmar Kompus informed staff of the cuts in a message read by GLHF, writing that redundancies will mostly affect “the X7 team but also our non-development teams and non-X7 projects.”
Just like my heckin' failed communist states!
I hope @PrimeJunta is okay. Anyone checked on him? Hopefully his Communist Manifesto makes it into Disco Elysium 2 at least.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

J1M wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:13
If you really want them to leave you have to convince them there is another more effective form of media to get into so they can brainwash children.

As soon as game revenue surpassed movies it was doomed to be invaded by trust fund activists and male feminists.
True, need to convince the "mainstream" crowd to do something else.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Manny V wrote: April 18th, 2024, 04:34
despite that not being their expertise, it has shit reception(unsurprisingly, who wants that shit) they can it (thank fuck) and they cop layoffs
It's even more hilarious.

They focused most of their efforts towards Hyenas, neglecting their biggest source of income - Total War: Warhammer. Not just that, but they actively threatened costumers that if they didn't buy the overpriced Warhammer DLC they'd cut off support for Warhammer 3 like they did with Three Kingdoms (which, to this day, is one of their most played games).

Also, Warhammer 3 was left to rot post launch, patches and fixes were being released at a glacial pace, gamebreaking issues left unattended for months on end and only getting some attention when a new DLC dropped, but usually remaining in the game even if the patch notes said they had been fixed.

All this comes to a head when big daddy SEGA orders CA to cancel Hyenas a few months before release. They realized the product was so toxic, so repulsive to audiences, that they'd lose more money by actually launching it than they would by just cancelling it outright. The game didn't even make it to stores, that's how godawful it was.

After that CA was suddenly capable of releasing patches at regular intervals and came crawling to the community buck broken.

tl;dr gamedevs aren't human and should be brutalized and abused at every opportunity. The moment they think they have rights they will bite you like the rabid vermin they are.
Last edited by gerey on April 18th, 2024, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

They also ripped the UK government off to help pay for hyenas. Apparently CA is a startup

Xenich

Post by Xenich »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 13:05
despite that not being their expertise, it has shit reception(unsurprisingly, who wants that shit) they can it (thank fuck) and they cop layoffs

They focused most of their efforts towards Hyenas, neglecting their biggest source of income - Total War: Warhammer. Not just that, but they actively threatened costumers that if they didn't buy the overpriced Warhammer DLC they'd cut off support for Warhammer 3 like they did with Three Kingdoms (which, to this day, is one of their most played games).

Also, Warhammer 3 was left to rot post launch, patches and fixes were being released at a glacial pace, gamebreaking issues left unattended for months on end and only getting some attention when a new DLC dropped, but usually remaining in the game even if the patch notes said they had been fixed.

All this comes to a head when big daddy SEGA orders CA to cancel Hyenas a few months before release. They realized the product was so toxic, so repulsive to audiences, that they'd lose more money by actually launching it than they would by just cancelling it outright. The game didn't even make it to stores, that's how godawful it was.

After that CA was suddenly capable of releasing patches at regular intervals and came crawling to the community buck broken.

tl;dr gamedevs aren't human and should be brutalized and abused at every opportunity. The moment they think they have rights they will bite you like the rabid vermin they are.
I wouldn't call them game devs though, that gives them too much credit, they are political activists masquerading as game developers. Once they are seen for what they are, all of their actions make sense.
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Gamedevs are trash
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

Last edited by Havitner on April 18th, 2024, 19:09, edited 2 times in total.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Xenich wrote: April 17th, 2024, 21:53
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 05:48
you can tell gamedev is full of women & minorities now because all they do is complain about how hard their job is and pretend nobody else ever has had to meet deadlines
Those types are in all kinds of jobs. They are useless, and while they are whining about difficulty, someone else is in the background getting things done.
Fundamentally this problem is caused by HR. I am friends with a manager at a large software company, and he says it is less work to mitigate the problems caused by these sorts of people rather than fire them. i.e. Isolate them from damaging anything important by giving them pointless busywork and have the productive employees pick up the slack. If there is an opportunity, then foist them off onto another manager. The reality is that people who underperform can be worked with. The bigger issue is those with bad attitudes who will drag down the entire team. I know of one case where an entire team quit within a few months because management made them work an insufferable tranny. It wasn't even a case of them being right-wing, they just rationalized it as "we don't hate trannies, 'she' [he] is just an asshole".
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

anonusername wrote: April 21st, 2024, 18:26
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 05:48
you can tell gamedev is full of women & minorities now because all they do is complain about how hard their job is and pretend nobody else ever has had to meet deadlines
Those types are in all kinds of jobs. They are useless, and while they are whining about difficulty, someone else is in the background getting things done.
Fundamentally this problem is caused by HR. I am friends with a manager at a large software company, and he says it is less work to mitigate the problems caused by these sorts of people rather than fire them. i.e. Isolate them from damaging anything important by giving them pointless busywork and have the productive employees pick up the slack. If there is an opportunity, then foist them off onto another manager. The reality is that people who underperform can be worked with. The bigger issue is those with bad attitudes who will drag down the entire team. I know of one case where an entire team quit within a few months because management made them work an insufferable tranny. It wasn't even a case of them being right-wing, they just rationalized it as "we don't hate trannies, 'she' [he] is just an asshole".
Problem I have seen is those who pick up the slack keep getting leaned on, while the ones sitting on their arse get the promotions, the raises, etc... Best way to deal with those shit holes is to move on and let them flounder with their garbage. While it may be easier for the manager to play such games, ultimately it does as you pointed out, it drags down the moral, and eventually someone is going to leave due to it (which may cause an exodus, seen this happen a lot), or it begins to create more of the individuals who start to speak out to it.

A good manager will take the heat, deal with the crap and push the garbage out cleverly (seen this happen by setting up the lazy to fail "reasonably" due to their own mannerisms, and documenting it to the point where upper management is happy to sign off on getting rid of them).

Now there have been some managers who have taken your approach, and rewarded the hard workers in ways they could (sometimes they control wage increases, at other times it can be perks or the like). I worked one place where HR controlled the wage increases and they were stupidly woke about crap. So, my director would compensate me in other ways such as lots of paid leave, gifting equipment, etc... as compensation for the extra work loads. They control it, and HR didn't have a say in it.

Though I see less of those types these days as the "shit" seems to float to the top now and you get the lazy trying to run entire regions of the business, yet couldn't even manage a small facility when they were a site director, which of course became a problem for all the site directors because it was like dealing with a child who lacked any understanding of the business they were in charge of.
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

Xenich wrote: April 21st, 2024, 18:39
anonusername wrote: April 21st, 2024, 18:26

Problem I have seen is those who pick up the slack keep getting leaned on, while the ones sitting on their arse get the promotions, the raises, etc... Best way to deal with those shit holes is to move on and let them flounder with their garbage. While it may be easier for the manager to play such games, ultimately it does as you pointed out, it drags down the moral, and eventually someone is going to leave due to it (which may cause an exodus, seen this happen a lot), or it begins to create more of the individuals who start to speak out to it.
This is absolutely true, but if HR has enough control then getting rid of the problems because difficult. The same guy has complained to me about being forced to give raises to the bad apples because HR says "why did you give this other guy a bigger raise?" or "why is this person X% below the average wage for their title and years of experience?". If the manager is skilled enough in playing games, he can prevent the bad apple from interacting with the rest. The tranny case was an instance of a bad manager who didn't shield the team from "her". The guy I know resolved a similar situation by assigning the diversity hire pointless tasking that minimized his ability to interact with the rest of the team. At that point he is just an overhead on the team's budget indirectly increasing the workload for everyone else rather than actively dragging down the entire team. That situation is often seen as acceptable when the alternative is fighting HR.
Last edited by anonusername on April 21st, 2024, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
LemonDemonGirl

Post by LemonDemonGirl »

Do shitty game storytellers count as bad game devs? If so, Steve Danuser (formerly) of Blizzard would count.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

LemonDemonGirl wrote: April 21st, 2024, 22:52
Do shitty game storytellers count as bad game devs? If so, Steve Danuser (formerly) of Blizzard would count.
That's Nathanos to you
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

god danuser is a blight upon the world

wow was already going downhill after wrath (or earlier, opinions vary) but he really just fuckin hammered the nails into the coffin with his worship of sylvanas and overall spastic writing
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Great example of how the press knew it happened but sat on the story until he updated his LinkedIn months later. Everyone was afraid to break the story, which is interesting because it's not clear why they would be. If anything that news is positive for the company.