We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various role-playing RPG game stuff not deserving its own thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I thought it was really cool that you could explore outside of the map in Fallout 4 until I later found out the main quest forces you to go there.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

I started a Fallout 1 run today and jumped in with one of the default characters just to give it a whirl. I killed all the rats and not sure if I can be bothered doing that again. I assume the game is doable with the default characters but am I just setting myself up for a tough time by not min maxing?

I also saw Et Tu recommended by @rusty_shackleford in another thread. Is it essential or fine to do the first playthrough as is?
Last edited by Jordy on April 18th, 2024, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Jordy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:47
I started a Fallout 1 run today and jumped in with one of the default characters just to give it a whirl. I killed all the rats and not sure if I can be bothered doing that again. I assume the game is doable with the default characters but am I just setting myself up for a tough time by not min maxing?

I also saw Et Tu recommended by @rusty_shackleford in another thread. Is it essential or fine to do the first playthrough as is?
It's a pretty easy and short game, don't sweat it.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Jordy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:47
Is it essential or fine to do the first playthrough as is?
Et Tu is basically Fallout 1 ported over to run on the Fallout 2 "engine". It's not really essential, all it does is add in a few QoL features and bits of new content here and there. Playing the original is perfectly viable.

As Oyster Sauce said, FO1 is short game, 15 to 20 hours for a first playthrough.

My recommendation is to speed up the combat animations in the preferences. Don't forget to click on "Affect Player Speed". Should make the combat much less tedious.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:53
Et Tu is basically Fallout 1 ported over to run on the Fallout 2 "engine". It's not really essential, all it does is add in a few QoL features and bits of new content here and there. Playing the original is perfectly viable.

As Oyster Sauce said, FO1 is short game, 15 to 20 hours for a first playthrough.

My recommendation is to speed up the combat animations in the preferences. Don't forget to click on "Affect Player Speed". Should make the combat much less tedious.
Thanks for the info. Running through a cave with a bunch of rats following you was a pretty tedious.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Jordy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:56
Thanks for the info. Running through a cave with a bunch of rats following you was a pretty tedious.
Combat isn't particularly challenging past the early game. Once you get your hands on better weapons and armor you'll have an easier time of it. My recommendation in the small guns skill, since that will serve you the best throughout the game.

Sadly, combat is never going to be particularly engaging, but combat is not why you play Fallout 1 and 2. I consider FO1 to be one of the best cRPGs ever made, and if you can look past its age you'll find a great game underneath.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Et Tu is a fan remake, I would not recommend it your first time. You're not actually playing Fallout.
Generally we do not try to make a 1:1 copy of the first game. So, if you want to play the 100% real deal, the very pure experience so to speak, you should grab the original Fallout 1 instead of this mod.
Jordy

Post by Jordy »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03
Sadly, combat is never going to be particularly engaging, but combat is not why you play Fallout 1 and 2. I consider FO1 to be one of the best cRPGs ever made, and if you can look past its age you'll find a great game underneath.
The only thing that puts me off replaying older games is the resolution and control schemes but Fallout 1 seems to be fine in this regard.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:53
more like 8 to 10 hours to be honest.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Roguey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 12:02
Et Tu is a fan remake, I would not recommend it your first time. You're not actually playing Fallout.
Generally we do not try to make a 1:1 copy of the first game. So, if you want to play the 100% real deal, the very pure experience so to speak, you should grab the original Fallout 1 instead of this mod.
I consider companions being broken reason enough to play Et Tu. They're essentially worthless in regular FO1. :goldfish:
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 02:09
I consider companions being broken reason enough to play Et Tu. They're essentially worthless in regular FO1. :goldfish:

*unzips 10mm smg*
He's helping!
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 19th, 2024, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

gerey wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:03
Jordy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:56
Combat isn't particularly challenging past the early game. Once you get your hands on better weapons and armor you'll have an easier time of it. My recommendation in the small guns skill, since that will serve you the best throughout the game.

Max small guns to ~100 first thing.
Later, you WILL want energy weapons for the plasma rifle (especially when you can get it upgraded to the turbo version).
But you'll have plenty of time for that before level 8 or so, IIRC.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 02:09
You don't need companions at all and they work okay enough as long as you don't give them any burst-fire weapons.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

They were a hacky last-minute addition. The game was playtested and balanced without them. I've completed it without them.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: April 19th, 2024, 09:48
They were a hacky last-minute addition. The game was playtested and balanced without them. I've completed it without them.
It's not an RPG if you don't have companions
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 09:48
Nothing about "role-playing game" demands that the character you role play has helpers.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: April 19th, 2024, 09:54
Nothing about "role-playing game" demands that the character you role play has helpers.
RPGs, as designed, are not a solo experience

No companions = no RPG, simple as.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Et Tu is fake and gay. Just use fixt or whichever one is it is that makes it playable without adding a lot of retarded bullshit and cut content that should have stayed cut. Once you get your resolution right everything is fine.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:07
Et Tu is fake and gay. Just use fixt or whichever one is it is that makes it playable without adding a lot of retarded bullshit and cut content that should have stayed cut. Once you get your resolution right everything is fine.
you've never played et tu
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 19th, 2024, 09:57
Roguey wrote: April 19th, 2024, 09:54
RPGs, as designed, are not a solo experience

No companions = no RPG, simple as.
Many crpgs are more like solo-play gamebooks than trpgs. Rogue is single-character.
Tweed wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:07
Fixt also adds fan-fic and makes subjective changes even in the "purist" option. The TeamX patch is probably fine. SFall is useful for middle mouse button support and the speedup hotkeys. If you absolutely can't stand 640x480 with integer scaling then sure use the high resolution patch, but I'd still recommend something like 960x540 on a 1080 monitor with 2x scaling.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 14:07
Any of you played Eschalon?
1 and 2 were enjoyable. I thought the story in 1 was engaging. I also liked that all skills and stats were useful, character development involved tough decisions based on your build. Loved the graphics, they felt cozy to me. They had the most aggravating loot generation mechanics ever, I hated standing in front of a trash can that I knew spawned decent loot and savescumming to get something... anything... useful to my build.

3 was buggy and clearly unfinished. I felt scammed after buying it (this may have changed, I haven't played any of them in years).
Rand

Post by Rand »

Kalarion wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 14:12
3 was buggy and clearly unfinished. I felt scammed after buying it (this may have changed, I haven't played any of them in years).
Someone told me it has not.
Kalarion wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 14:12
They had the most aggravating loot generation mechanics ever, I hated standing in front of a trash can that I knew spawned decent loot and savescumming to get something... anything... useful to my build.
Neverwinter nights had very interesting loot generation code, and it was exposed to modding.
It actually looked at your main character and tended to drop loot that you would actually want.
For example, if you had the weapon focus feat, if it dropped a special weapon that could have variants, it would make it match your feat choice.
It had other subtler ways of making significantly less trash loot.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Gothic games would have benefited from the Witcher 1 stance combat. Not in how it's essentially DDR, but having separate stances to deal with certain situations. The combat was created for dueling other humanoids and feels very jank against multiple opponents or non-human ones.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I was reminded of the smart pause system in the Brigade E5 game:
And it's a real shame no other games try to be this autistic about RTwP combat. The only reason turn-based seems decent is because most RTwP games have awful combat. The ideal system lies in-between the two with time simulation and auto-pausing, making it almost a pseudo-turn based game except with far less abstraction.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 30th, 2024, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Havitner

Post by Havitner »

Rand wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 22:21
Neverwinter nights had very interesting loot generation code, and it was exposed to modding.
It actually looked at your main character and tended to drop loot that you would actually want.
For example, if you had the weapon focus feat, if it dropped a special weapon that could have variants, it would make it match your feat choice.
Absolutely disgusting