We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Hooray: Shitty gamedevs being fired thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 29th, 2024, 17:42
They're threatening me with a good time again.
Is this a troon or just an exceptionally ugly woman?
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Nobody posted the Sony cuts yet. I guess we collectively refuse to acknowledge them as a gaming company?
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

The news just sorta blends together, I'm not surprised people don't care to remember about the Sony layoffs. It's expected, especially since they wasted a ton of money on Bungie.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

SoLong wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:46
Trans flag in bio.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Roguey wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:55
SoLong wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:46
Trans flag in bio.
Of course. Another loony troon.

Someone tell him that with him unemployed there's at least one white guy less in game development!

Post by 1998 »

Already a couple of days old, but might as well.

EA laid off way too few people, only 670 or 5% of total WF.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/28/ea-layo ... oyees.html
anonusername

Post by anonusername »

J1M wrote: February 29th, 2024, 16:33
Breathe wrote: February 29th, 2024, 00:11
Shillitron wrote: February 28th, 2024, 22:56

They release a new champ once a year and it takes them like 2 years to update old champ models and animations too look like something not made in 2004.

If they need 5000 employee's just to do that.. uh yea.. shit can 90% of the company they probably do nothing all day.
I assume this is what's happening at most large studios. Guaranteed.
Yeah. There is a BlizzCon panel video you can look up about how they design dungeon bosses if you'd like see what design by committee looks like.

The too-large group spend an hour talking, design something unusable, the creature ends up with 15 abilities that don't really matter because it dies in 30 seconds, and all of the people wasting art resources on things that don't matter lack the skills to make changes with the editor.

There's also a girl with big opinions that all of the soyboys are too afraid to say no to.
Most likely they don't only lack the skills to make changes, they are unwilling to learn. I work IT for a development team (enterprise software, not games), and the number of tickets we get with devs refusing to do even the most basic troubleshooting or investigation because "that's not my job" is absurd. The best part is half the time it's *their* code that broke and they just didn't realize because they did 0 troubleshooting and immediately blamed it on IT because "I checked my code and it looks right". Then I get told off for "making them feel inferior" if I figure out where their code is broken, and for being "unhelpful" if I just tell them the problem is on their end. (It's not like everyone is like this, the issue is that the sorts of people who waste your time with retarded tickets also have the most fragile egos.)
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

J1M wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:52
Nobody posted the Sony cuts yet. I guess we collectively refuse to acknowledge them as a gaming company?
They only make movies that pretend to be games
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Nooneatall wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 16:39
J1M wrote: February 29th, 2024, 18:52
They only make movies that pretend to be games
In regards to this I usually like their games for a short while, that is until they've taken control away from me too many times, or force me into a consequence I already planned for (just for story). Many times I understand what is about to happen and change or prepare in a certain way only to be forced to be fucked over. This happened in The Last Of Us 1 and God of War 2018 often. It's bad and lazy design, especially considering how much money goes into their development.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Breathe wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 18:07
In regards to this I usually like their games for a short while, that is until they've taken control away from me too many times, or force me into a consequence I already planned for (just for story). Many times I understand what is about to happen and change or prepare in a certain way only to be forced to be fucked over. This happened in The Last Of Us 1 and God of War 2018 often. It's bad and lazy design, especially considering how much money goes into their development.
That's why Spec Ops: The Line is a retarded game for retards (and was a critical hit while being a commerical failure). It's a game made for journos and no-one else.

Railroading in games (particularly when the sane course of action is blindingly obvious) might be as old as the genre itself but honestly there is a difference between a kid finding a fence to be an insurmountable obstacle and a trained commander not doing recon before bombing people.

Fun fact: The retarded game for retards had the option to obey commands and evacuate the city after the first part. So many test players chose it that dev retarded dev removed the option because it undermined his pontificating and finger waggling.

Edit: Just looked it up and ugh, of course the pretentious uber-cunt Yahtzee loved it too. I got the game for free and still felt ripped off when I played it.
Last edited by SoLong on March 2nd, 2024, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Only soldier man games I liked were Sarge's Heroes.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

maidenhaver wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 19:23
Only soldier man games I liked were Sarge's Heroes.
Mean Greens was a good modern Sarge's game that was alive for a few weeks
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

SoLong wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 19:07
That's why Spec Ops: The Line is a retarded game for retards (and was a critical hit while being a commerical failure). It's a game made for journos and no-one else.
I appreciate you brother HH
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"Worsening Market Conditions"

BobT

Post by BobT »

aweigh wrote: March 14th, 2024, 20:43
stupid cunt got fired

Game DEV experience in everything but development?...
Rand

Post by Rand »

Acrux wrote: March 14th, 2024, 21:38
No...no....NNOOOOOO!!!

Let's try this again:
These constant layoffs are going to make worse games vanish in the coming years.
Last edited by Rand on March 15th, 2024, 05:46, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

you can tell gamedev is full of women & minorities now because all they do is complain about how hard their job is and pretend nobody else ever has had to meet deadlines
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/take-tw ... -workforce

Take-Two Interactive Software to lay off five percent of workforce

Take-Two Interactive Software, the parent company of 2K, The Gearbox Entertainment Company, Private Division, and Rockstar Games, will lay off about five percent of its workforce, or around 600 employees, the company announced.

Several in-development projects will also be cancelled as part of a cost reduction plan expect to result in total charges of up to $200 million. Specific projects were not named.

According to Take-Two Interactive Software, the move will result in more than $165 million of annual cost savings.

Cancelled projects will account for as much as $140 million of the total charges, and severance and employee-related costs expected are expected to reach up to $35 million. Take-Two Interactive Software will also reduce some office space.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 17th, 2024, 16:47
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/take-tw ... -workforce

Take-Two Interactive Software to lay off five percent of workforce

Take-Two Interactive Software, the parent company of 2K, The Gearbox Entertainment Company, Private Division, and Rockstar Games, will lay off about five percent of its workforce, or around 600 employees, the company announced.
A good start :heart:
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 15th, 2024, 05:48
you can tell gamedev is full of women & minorities now because all they do is complain about how hard their job is and pretend nobody else ever has had to meet deadlines
Those types are in all kinds of jobs. They are useless, and while they are whining about difficulty, someone else is in the background getting things done.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Acrux wrote: March 14th, 2024, 21:38
No...no....NNOOOOOO!!!

Best thing for the industry is if it completely collapses and all the big money interest leaves the market. Then, all the fags, fems, and niggers will pack up and move on because their entire existence in the industry is to virtual signal politics about themselves.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

If you really want them to leave you have to convince them there is another more effective form of media to get into so they can brainwash children.

As soon as game revenue surpassed movies it was doomed to be invaded by trust fund activists and male feminists.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

J1M wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:13
As soon as game revenue surpassed movies it was doomed to be invaded by trust fund activists and male feminists.
I assume if we exclude mobile games it's way below movies. Especially if we go a step further and start excluding non-games like the FIFA crap that is essentially digital card collecting.