We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Oh, I knew that Farthest Frontier had done that already. Weird that two city builders coming out around the same time would remove churches. :scratch:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

► Show Spoiler
I was wrong, different game.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 13th, 2024, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I half-suspect the Pajeet slop factory that is Microsoft told them to do it.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Mods will fix that.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I just took a look at Rise of the Ronin for the first time and realized: Besides a few games they co-developed and Dead or Alive, Team Ninja has been making the same game over and over for 20 years.

Well, maybe it's not that bad but Ronin is just a worse Nioh and Nioh sucks.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The newest version of OpenTTD released today, with lots of new features. It's now avaliable on Steam for convenience for many of you.

You can finally assign a non-binary gender to vehicle drivers!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The main issue 'space sims' and similar genre games have is that they have to explain how to play the game rather than letting you figure it out because they're so unintuitive.
If I need a tutorial just to learn how to move my 'character' in your game world, you've already fucked up, go back to the drawing board. I don't care if "t-t-that's how it always was!!!!!!". If technology is advanced enough to travel between star systems, then flying shouldn't require you to first complete their college course to not crash, simple as.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I'm really supposed to believe that not only did Lawbreakers have fans, but it had fans that cared enough about it to make a server emulator?
https://massivelyop.com/2024/04/15/lawb ... -approval/

Nobody actually believes that, right? Cliffy B just gave them the server application.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:53
The main issue 'space sims' and similar genre games have is that they have to explain how to play the game rather than letting you figure it out because they're so unintuitive.
If I need a tutorial just to learn how to move my 'character' in your game world, you've already fucked up, go back to the drawing board. I don't care if "t-t-that's how it always was!!!!!!". If technology is advanced enough to travel between star systems, then flying shouldn't require you to first complete their college course to not crash, simple as.
Rusty's favorite game:

Anon

Post by Anon »

Space and futuristic games and media in general suck.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 16th, 2024, 13:24
I'm really supposed to believe that not only did Lawbreakers have fans, but it had fans that cared enough about it to make a server emulator?

Nobody actually believes that, right? Cliffy B just gave them the server application.
I've heard from a reliable source that the gameplay was good. Could have been successful with better (or perhaps less throttled) character designers. This is the face of the game and was meant to be their Tracer equivalent.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tweed wrote: April 16th, 2024, 13:37
Rusty's favorite game:

If a game is so unintuitive that it needs a tutorial just to teach you how to move, it's bad design. I bet you're about to go on and defend tank controls now.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 16th, 2024, 13:41
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 16th, 2024, 13:24

I've heard from a reliable source that the gameplay was good. Could have been successful with better (or perhaps less throttled) character designers. This is the face of the game and was meant to be their Tracer equivalent.

Spoiler your gore, goddamn.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 16th, 2024, 13:41
I bet you're about to go on and defend tank controls now.
Tank controls are kino
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 16th, 2024, 14:05
Any of you played this?
This looks like the game my younger brother would love.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

People laugh at gooks for willingly paying for lootboxes. But I'd rather have lootboxes in my games than communist propaganda.
I don't think I really care at all about microtransactions, quite honestly.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 17th, 2024, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Microtransactions are terrible because the dev will make the game as annoying to play as it can be without driving off the average player to incentivize in-game purchases.
Anon

Post by Anon »

WhiteShark wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:28
Microtransactions are terrible because the dev will make the game as annoying to play as it can be without driving off the average player to incentivize in-game purchases.
It's literally selling solutions to problems they created.

"Oh is the grind too annoying and boring? Buy this mtx to skip it"

"Does our gear look like shit? Buy this mtx to get transmogs/cosmetics to look however you want"

Etc
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:49

"Does our gear look like shit? Buy this mtx to get transmogs/cosmetics to look however you want"

Etc
I've played plenty of video games that have microtransactions. Average, mediocre games with microtransactions. I've even bought some in good games that have them.
OTOH, a game with libtard propaganda in it has to be near BG3 quality to get me to touch it at this point.

I think if you guys look at your own behavior, you'll come to a similar conclusion in that MTX is far less repulsive than libtard propaganda. MTX would have to be at pay-to-win levels to repulse me from a good game, which isn't very common.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 18th, 2024, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 18th, 2024, 00:56
I think if you guys look at your own behavior, you'll come to a similar conclusion in that MTX is far less repulsive than libtard propaganda.
Sure, propaganda is more repulsive, at least since they stopped being subtle about it, but that doesn't mean mtx isn't a problem. With mtx, the game has to be just miserable enough without being too miserable for it to work as a monetization scheme. It's deceptive because they present the game as though f2p were a viable and enjoyable experience when the reality is that there's some baseline of mtx you have to buy to have a good time.

tl;dr propaganda bad and mtx also bad.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Yes, drinking piss is probably better than eating shit
Anon

Post by Anon »

Anon wrote: April 17th, 2024, 20:49

Etc
I've played plenty of video games that have microtransactions. Average, mediocre games with microtransactions. I've even bought some in good games that have them.
OTOH, a game with libtard propaganda in it has to be near BG3 quality to get me to touch it at this point.

I think if you guys look at your own behavior, you'll come to a similar conclusion in that MTX is far less repulsive than libtard propaganda. MTX would have to be at pay-to-win levels to repulse me from a good game, which isn't very common.
Yes many times here I've said that woke propaganda is worse than microtransactions, I agree completely.

Though I see both libtardism and mtx have the same root: soulless corporation mentality being brought into gaming industry, turning them into milking cows where you squeeze any penny out of them sacrificing a lot of quality in the process.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: April 18th, 2024, 01:05
I think if you guys look at your own behavior, you'll come to a similar conclusion in that MTX is far less repulsive than libtard propaganda.
Sure, propaganda is more repulsive, at least since they stopped being subtle about it, but that doesn't mean mtx isn't a problem. With mtx, the game has to be just miserable enough without being too miserable for it to work as a monetization scheme. It's deceptive because they present the game as though f2p were a viable and enjoyable experience when the reality is that there's some baseline of mtx you have to buy to have a good time.

tl;dr propaganda bad and mtx also bad.
I'm willing to throw some money at a game if it's enjoyable. e.g., I spent a good deal on Warframe prior to the devs going full libtard and they lost me as a customer.
The devs gotta make money too, which is fine, I respect a basic business transaction. As long as it's not overly anti-consumer and doesn't create imbalances, I don't really care. In fact, I'd probably be more willing to engage in an MTX shop that doesn't use anti-consumer practices e.g., selling virtual tokens in amounts that don't align with the product you want.
But the moment you start adding quests to your game that are about black gay lesbians who are gay? Yeah, I'm out.

Another example is OSRS. I was far more willing to put up with bonds than the "pride month" bullshit they added without a vote unlike everything else that required a vote to be added to the game.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 18th, 2024, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.