We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Crossing The Sands — DRPG, April 19th

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Crossing The Sands — DRPG, April 19th

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Crossing The Sands is a first-person dungeon crawler RPG with turn-based combat and grid-based movement.

Something strange is happening in the desert, and powerful forces are at work. Various rival factions have stopped fighting for control of territory, and banded together to raid ever closer to Human cities. Rumor has it that a powerful leader is behind it all. It's up to you to investigate this threat and stop it before the Humans are driven from the desert.

Assemble a party of adventurers and explore a medieval desert world, fighting monsters in turn-based combat to build the skills and gather the equipment you'll need in order to vanquish the leader of the raiders. Master powerful healing and offensive magic to aid you on your adventures, and delve deep into ancient ruins to find out who's really pulling the strings.

This is a standalone sequel to Into The Inferno. You do not need to have played the first game to fully enjoy this one. It will be followed by Navigating The Labyrinth.
Indie game from a solo developer, releases April 19th. Standalone sequel to his game released last year:
— Review playtime suggests a completion of 30-40 hours.

About the developer:
About Me

I'm a forty-something software engineer (and musician) from the USA who was laid off at the end of last year as part of the tech industry downsizing. After enjoying a month of de-stress recuperation time, I started learning Unity.

A couple months later it felt like it was time to look for work, but after one conversation with a clueless tech recruiter, I couldn't bring myself to push that rock up the hill again. Instead I started this one-person game studio Dragon Dropper with the goal of making games for a living. Thanks to working nonstop through the pandemic I have enough savings that I don't need to worry right away, so right now I'm doing game development full-time with the goal of doing it forever. It's hard, but I love it, and it just feel like "it's time" and "now or never".

I grew up on games like Wizardry (V - Heart of the Maelstrom especially), Might and Magic (II especially), the Bard's Tale trilogy, all of the gold box D&D games, and other era classics of the dungeon crawl genre. Because of this I've been thinking about building one for literally decades, with its own adjustments and touches, of course.

I spend a little of the year in the USA where I was born, and most of my time in Uruguay. I'm mostly-fluent in Spanish, so I'll be releasing everything with Spanish localization in addition to English (and have someone to help with proofreading).

In the little over 6 months since I’ve started making games full-time, I have already released two titles, Beast Dungeon (a small traditional roguelike dungeon crawler), and Into The Inferno. I’m still a long way from earning a full living doing this, but step by step, things are growing, and I feel optimistic about the future.

Tags:
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The dev has posted a video of someone caling himself Dr. Incompetent playing Into the Inferno, for those who would like to see how the game plays. It certainly had a strong M&M and origonal Bard's Tale feel.

Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Dig the acoustic soundtrack from Crossing the Sands. What I recall from looking into Inferno, it wasn't paced very well, and could be pretty brutal. I'd still like to give it a try at some point. Crossing the Sands could benefit from a different background screen on the enemies, during combat. As of now, it gives the impression the monsters appear as part of an encyclopedic stat screen, I think.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I'll play when it releases if I remember to but doesn't look appealing.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

It looks unappealing and bland,very generic, seen a hundred times before in commercial titles of the past but uglier and more limited. At the same time, what else to expect? It's exactly like those indie RPG sharewares from 30 years ago, and there's no reason things for lone devs would be any different nor easier for them to make rpgs.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Mortmal wrote: April 15th, 2024, 22:22
It looks unappealing and bland,very generic, seen a hundred times before in commercial titles of the past but uglier and more limited. At the same time, what else to expect? It's exactly like those indie RPG sharewares from 30 years ago, and there's no reason things for lone devs would be any different nor easier for them to make rpgs.
You were mildly positive on Buckbroken Roads, your opinion is lower than dogshit. Fuck off.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Kalarion wrote: April 16th, 2024, 14:07
Mortmal wrote: April 15th, 2024, 22:22
You were mildly positive on Buckbroken Roads, your opinion is lower than dogshit. Fuck off.
When exactly did I give the impression that I was positive about it ? https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ste ... 535/page-2