We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

PSA: Stop using Hotmail

HQ-related news you should probably read.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

PSA: Stop using Hotmail

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Did you know Hotmail still exists? I sure didn't. I also wish they didn't.
If you use Hotmail, you will not receive any emails from RPGHQ. They shitlist any emails sent from our email delivery platform. When I get some free time I'll see about migrating to an email delivery service that has a smaller shitlist. Until then, don't lose your password, Hotmail users.

And before someone asks "why do you use a third party email delivery service?", because absolutely every email provider will shitcan emails sent from random domains. Using your own server to send emails hasn't been viable for at least 10 years now. Email is complete garbage and I hate it.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 29th, 2024, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2024, 16:47
If you use Hotmail, you will not receive any emails from RPGHQ.
Are they paying you for this sponsorship?
BobT

Post by BobT »

Interesting, what's your platform?
Hotmail is now essentially Outlook.com, though the addresses remain.

Is the issue on outlook's end, or the sender's?
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Boomers (the unironical ones) use this place?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Outlook is a business email, over here.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 8th, 2024, 19:51
Boomers (the unironical ones) use this place?
Elder millennials (80s era) grew up with the internet too, ya know. :P

@rusty_shackleford What sort of e-mails does the HQ send? Besides password resets and (presumed) topic subscriptions. Though didn't you switch off the latter? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.
maidenhaver wrote: April 8th, 2024, 19:53
Outlook is a business email, over here.
It is, however "hotmail" is now Outlook.com for general consumer use. Those with hotmail addresses can still login and use it, though.
Last edited by BobT on April 8th, 2024, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

BobT wrote: April 8th, 2024, 19:54
@rusty_shackleford What sort of e-mails does the HQ send? Besides password resets and (presumed) topic subscriptions. Though didn't you switch off the latter? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.
Password resets is the important one. I disabled email verification for registration ages ago because not enough emails would get delivered, and it's not even necessary tbh.
Might look into providing rudimentary Steam integration and using a Steam chat bot to handle it as an alternative. Seems likely that most people using this site(>95%?) have a Steam account.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 8th, 2024, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

imagine requiring steam of all things to visit a forum
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2024, 20:11
BobT wrote: April 8th, 2024, 19:54
Password resets is the important one. I disabled email verification for registration ages ago because not enough emails would get delivered, and it's not even necessary tbh.
Might look into providing rudimentary Steam integration and using a Steam chat bot to handle it as an alternative. Seems likely that most people using this site(>95%?) have a Steam account.
hmm. Sometimes I've caught it just outright binning the e-mails into Deleted Items (never used to do this, ffs).
I presume otherwise sometimes they don't get received at all (or even sent?). Gimme a shout if you need to test anything with it.

As long as the Steam stuff is optional (and non-public) then more options are always good.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

i made a very precise interpretation of words
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

true story my first email was [email protected]

Sadly I didn't realize what a get I had with that, pre-word filters and stuff. I unfortunately let it die out and it's long since been lost to time. Registered it around 25 years ago, give or take.
StudiedAsleep

Post by StudiedAsleep »

This is why I can’t get password reset emails through custom domain or Firefox Relay on here?
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

You should require asf to submit biometric scans of his physical persona before each post he makes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

StudiedAsleep wrote: April 9th, 2024, 01:48
This is why I can’t get password reset emails through custom domain or Firefox Relay on here?
Probably. I'm going to look into moving to a better service at some point in the future.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

what psa means?
i thought psa is that shitty murican gun factory making 400 usd ars and aks that fall apart after 500 rounds
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2024, 20:11
I mean, if you want to go integrate other services to attenuate the problem beyond Steam there is FB, Twitter, Gmail, Reddit, Github, Outlook, Discord, Twitch, etc. But I'd think this site's userbase might be the type to shy away from using stuff like that to login.

I did register an account using one of my old hotmail accounts and had no issues receiving communication from the RPGHQ email :scratch:
AbleistSL

Post by AbleistSL »

Good news, I am a new user and the confirmation email went straight to my junk mail so therefore I could find it!

I am now going to test account recovery emails. edit: THOSE WORK TOO!
Last edited by AbleistSL on April 28th, 2024, 04:35, edited 2 times in total.