We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

even me1 plot was retarded at core but sequels felt worse
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

wndrbr wrote: April 7th, 2024, 02:53
BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 7th, 2024, 01:57
ME1 is relatively low on the "make character retarded because plot" compared to the other games. The biggest example in ME1 is the council, but ME1 is the game they're most justified in their beliefs considering the writing for Shepard's responses in the trial against Saren was very amateurish. Everything else in the game is much more grounded as a whole.
so basically ME1's council is justified because Shepard "became a retard for plot reasons".
In short, yes. In later games they are made to be retards, but in ME1 it's Shepard who acts like a retard not knowing how to make a point. This is the writers fault, whoever was in charge of the Citadel section, because any dialogue choice (paragon, neutral or renegade) is deduced to a raving lunatic calling them retards for not taking some random conspiracy theorist loon at face value over their most trusted agent.
Last edited by BosanskiSeljak on April 7th, 2024, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

That scene soured me on the whole game as it convinced me the writing was done by imbeciles. The non-sense schoolmarm speech Shepard does afterwards when boarding the ship (both the pro-human or pro-alien versions) was the icing in the cake. I know that elsewhere the writing was better but those main plot points were so incredibly bad for my expectations.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Red7 wrote: April 7th, 2024, 06:24
i couldnt finish second one. the gamplay was awful. like they took shit on previous lore with those colling clips or whatever to make it like generic cover shooter. felt way more consolish and clunky than first one.
This is the biggest thing I hated yeah. The first one was DIFFERENT because of its gameplay, however janky.

Typical capitalist "we must reach broader audiences" disease, unfortunately. People called it Gears of Mass Effect, and they were right. All the tactical gameplay disappeared and the ammo system added literally nothing.
This was during the "we want gamers to pay for bullets" era, though. Where they shortly after allowed you to buy ammo in dead space 3 for real money, a game where the lack of ammo was part of the horror aspect and core gameplay..
Last edited by BobT on April 7th, 2024, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: April 7th, 2024, 10:54
but in ME1 it's Shepard who acts like a retard not knowing how to make a point.
Pales in comparison to ME3 Shepard being completely incapable of arguing with kaiden/ashley as to why he had no choice but to work for Cerberus or having the exact same argument with The Illusive Man where you can't point out how obviously retarded his plan is.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Likely going to start a new playthrough soon. I think I've finally given up and will accept that anything but the default Shepard appearance is a fool's errand. Customization is fucking ass in these games.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

i always play with default male shepard, same goes for fallout4 with default nate face
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

gastovski wrote: April 17th, 2024, 09:03
i always play with default male shepard, same goes for fallout4 with default nate face
Fallout 4 at least it's possible to make a good looking character in ME it's either default Shep or some variation of Forest Gump impersonator.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I love b-balling Shepard

► Show Spoiler
Edit: wait did this fucker really get his first name tattooed on his chest?
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 17th, 2024, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 17th, 2024, 16:59
Edit: wait did this fucker really get his first name tattooed on his chest?
Might come as a surprise but models tend be both very self absorbed and retarded.
Anon

Post by Anon »

ME for me is a slighly less janky version of alpha protocol
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Shepard being rebuilt in ME2 is so nonsensical. He's not Adam Jensen he didn't get a little beat up. He got launched at a planet and is shown burning up in the atmosphere. There would be nothing to put back together.
It's made worse by how unclear everything is because they didn't really feel the need to put much focus on how Shepard feels about being fucking ship of theseus'd back to life. It's so brushed aside I really wonder what the point was.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:48
Shepard being rebuilt in ME2 is so nonsensical. He's not Adam Jensen he didn't get a little beat up. He got launched at a planet and is shown burning up in the atmosphere. There would be nothing to put back together.
It's made worse by how unclear everything is because they didn't really feel the need to put much focus on how Shepard feels about being fucking ship of theseus'd back to life. It's so brushed aside I really wonder what the point was.
it's cool so your opinion doesn't matter
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:50
Getting a new protagonist (soulless clone cyborg Shepard) in the first 10 minutes and no one addressing it is lame :(
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:52
Getting a new protagonist (soulless clone cyborg Shepard) in the first 10 minutes and no one addressing it is lame :(
not a clone, they just collected his body and restored it :smug:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:53

I assume that's how the writer thinks things work, but that's not how things they showed on screen work. :(
Last edited by Vergil on April 20th, 2024, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:54
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 20th, 2024, 05:53

I assume that's how the writer thinks things work, but that's not how thinks they showed on screen work. :(
liara collects shepard's body and delivers it to cerberus
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Very cool that you can just come back to life after being obliterated for a few days/weeks/months if you spend a few billion space dollars and nobody has ever done it before
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 20th, 2024, 07:59
Very cool that you can just come back to life after being obliterated for a few days/weeks/months if you spend a few billion space dollars and nobody has ever done it before
Yes, it is.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

They could've easily replaced this sequence with Shepard's escape pod getting damaged by the collectors and crashing somewhere on the planet, with Shepard surviving but falling into a coma. They just had to go over the top into some comic book territory.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Master Shepard. We can rebuild him.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Imagine spending billions to bring Tali back to life after she kills herself over the destruction of the Quarian fleet, and seeing her reaction.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

wndrbr wrote: April 20th, 2024, 08:20
Imagine spending billions to bring Tali back to life after she kills herself over the destruction of the Quarian fleet, and seeing her reaction.
We're bringing Pressly back in ME4
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 20th, 2024, 08:37
We're bringing Pressly back in ME4
I would agree if I didn't read his diary and find out they turned him into a xenophile shitlib.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

ME then MEA

The only Mass Effect games made.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Atlantico wrote: April 20th, 2024, 19:49
ME then MEA

The only time I've seen someone say they liked MEA was because it had female turians in it :Inspector:
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 19:51
ME then MEA

The only time I've seen someone say they liked MEA was because it had female turians in it :Inspector:
Did this person happen to be named Vergil?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: April 20th, 2024, 19:59
Vergil wrote: April 20th, 2024, 19:51
ME then MEA

Did this person happen to be named Vergil?
No, I only allow turian MEN on my ship. The hardest of the hard.