We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Space games where you can get up and walk around your ship

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Space games where you can get up and walk around your ship

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I want to make a list of this for various autistic reasons.
  • Star Trek Online
  • Space Trucker
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I'm assuming the ship has to be actually flying in open space and not just a static interior like KOTOR?
  • Outer Wilds
  • SS13
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 2nd, 2024, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Upcoming game, Starship Simulator

Warframe features this to some extent. Your ship is your home base, but you don't pilot it. But there is also a mode where you get a separate ship that you do pilot, and you can(and must) walk around it.

I don't have much experience with that mode as it's largely past my time playing it. Can't particularly say I recommend the game anymore, but it used to be fun.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I remember preordering this game. The engine was incredibly janky. Did not feel good to move my character or to fight on the ground at all. It also suffered from the usual "characters look like plastic" look that plagued many MMOs around that time period. However, the character creator was neat in that you could choose different idle stances for your character. The only other MMO I've seen do that was FFXIV but you only get like 4 idle poses to choose from there as opposed to the dozen+ that STO had.

The real highlight was the space combat, as ships had directional shields with multiple layers, and your ships had slow turning radiuses, and some attacks had certain angles of attacks. You had 270 degree phasers, so if you lined up your ship parallel to your target, you could "broadside" your enemy with both your rear and forward phaser banks firing. Phasers were good for depleting enemy shields, but did weak damage to enemy hulls which you wanted to blow up with torpedoes. Your torpedo bays could only fire from a narrow cone in the front and back of your ship, which meant that you either 1. had to slow down your ship to increase turning speed, or 2. fly a more maneuverable ship (usually has less HP and rear weapon slots), or 3. you had to do some planning ahead so you are in position to fire the moment a gap in the enemy's shields appear (difficult to do since again there are four cardinal shields, you might deplete the enemy's right shields and fire your torpedo only for the enemy ship to turn and your torpedo to impact into the enemy's full strength rear shields). There was also some cool abilities like leaking a trail of plasma from your engines and lighting them on fire like what Riker did in the Insurrection movie.

The game had a mission editor where you could create environments, place NPCs and mobs, write dialogue, script events, etc. The best content in that game was made by the players. Sadly the game was sold to another company and the programmer from the original dev team who maintained the mission editor system departed, so they shut down the system.

As for the interiors, they had great roleplay potential. Back in the game launched, there were a lot of RP fleets (guilds) and people hosting RP inside their ships like a fleet meeting of captains in the conference room.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Atlantico wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:31
Sundog: the Frozen Legacy
That game is wild. You can explore a whole galaxy in your ship, fly it in a planet's atmosphere, land anywhere on the planet and go out in your land vehicle, exist said vehicle and go on foot, and if you're in a city enter any building.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 06:41
I remember preordering this game. The engine was incredibly janky. Did not feel good to move my character or to fight on the ground at all. It also suffered from the usual "characters look like plastic" look that plagued many MMOs around that time period. However, the character creator was neat in that you could choose different idle stances for your character. The only other MMO I've seen do that was FFXIV but you only get like 4 idle poses to choose from there as opposed to the dozen+ that STO had.

The real highlight was the space combat, as ships had directional shields with multiple layers, and your ships had slow turning radiuses, and some attacks had certain angles of attacks. You had 270 degree phasers, so if you lined up your ship parallel to your target, you could "broadside" your enemy with both your rear and forward phaser banks firing. Phasers were good for depleting enemy shields, but did weak damage to enemy hulls which you wanted to blow up with torpedoes. Your torpedo bays could only fire from a narrow cone in the front and back of your ship, which meant that you either 1. had to slow down your ship to increase turning speed, or 2. fly a more maneuverable ship (usually has less HP and rear weapon slots), or 3. you had to do some planning ahead so you are in position to fire the moment a gap in the enemy's shields appear (difficult to do since again there are four cardinal shields, you might deplete the enemy's right shields and fire your torpedo only for the enemy ship to turn and your torpedo to impact into the enemy's full strength rear shields). There was also some cool abilities like leaking a trail of plasma from your engines and lighting them on fire like what Riker did in the Insurrection movie.

The game had a mission editor where you could create environments, place NPCs and mobs, write dialogue, script events, etc. The best content in that game was made by the players. Sadly the game was sold to another company and the programmer from the original dev team who maintained the mission editor system departed, so they shut down the system.

As for the interiors, they had great roleplay potential. Back in the game launched, there were a lot of RP fleets (guilds) and people hosting RP inside their ships like a fleet meeting of captains in the conference room.
The game is surprisingly fun and you don't need to drop a dollar on it to play the story missions which are rather good and plentiful. If you like Star Trek it's worth checking out again.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Please, remove Warframe, they went in LGBTKIARIO politics and add gay aliens in game.
Last edited by Faceless_Sentinel on April 3rd, 2024, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Faceless_Sentinel wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 15:05
Please, remove Warframe, they went in LGBTKIARIO politics and add gay aliens in game.
Aliens are demonic therefore gay by default. Sorry Garrus :sad:
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

gerey wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:11
Atlantico wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:31
Sundog: the Frozen Legacy
That game is wild. You can explore a whole galaxy in your ship, fly it in a planet's atmosphere, land anywhere on the planet and go out in your land vehicle, exist said vehicle and go on foot, and if you're in a city enter any building.
and if I recall, it fit on a single-sided 360 KB floppy.

also: fan remake and expansion, forever in beta, but it's playable

http://sundogresurrectionproject.com/
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

You can walk around your ship in Noctis, not that there's really anything in it.

You can walk around your ship in Rodina, but I'm pretty sure the game has been abandoned:

EDIT: And the best get up and walk around your ship game ever has to be X4, that's the best feature of the game.
Last edited by Tweed on April 7th, 2024, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.