RTS mods and fan campaigns

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Vlajdimir Ermenović

RTS mods and fan campaigns

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

I'm doubleposting this from RPG Codex. I'm looking for good RTS mods which bring in new campaigns or faction design, they gotta be thorough enough to feel like a new game, or at least an expansion pack. I've already played Rise of the Reds (C&C Generals), and know about the following:
  • Legacy of the Confederates (SC1)
  • Mental Omega (RA2)
  • UED: First Light (SC2)
  • Age of the Ring (Battle for Middle Earth 2)
  • Twisted Insurrection (C&C2)
  • Wanderers of Sorcereria (WC3)
It should go without saying, but remakes of old games in the new game's engine don't count.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Star Trek: Armada 3 for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion?

I recall there being another good Star Trek total conversion for a strategy game I can't remember now but I don't think it was RTS.
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Adding to the sins of a solar empire mod list:
-SoA (an alternative star trek mod to STA3, i forget which does what but both worth trying)
-Maelstorm : could be considered an expansion, adds an additional dreadnaught class ship to all races and adds in 4 new races
-Stargate: If i recall it mostly finished mod unlike...
-Mass effect: Has been in development hell since mass effect was at the height of its popularity so doubt will ever be finished but yup it exists.
-Babylon 5: Unlike the 2 above this mod got finished and it's even possible to combine it with other mod packs via...
-4x: Adds in a bunch of general gameplay things and with lots of optional modules and could be thought off as enhanced vanilla but the kicker with this mod is it can be used with mods like...
-Star wars Interregrum: Ye standard SW mod but the interesting thing is it can be combined with 4x and a few other race mods so you can have a smorgasbord of different factions.
-Star wars thrawn's revenge: Like the star trek mods i forget what the differences are between this and the other SW mod are so best try both and see what appeals to you.

And there's a bunch more I'm forgetting but these are what come to mind, Sins modding scene was quite decent.

Now moving on to the 40k side of things, specifically dawn of war soulstorm:
-Ultimate Apocalypse Mod+ like 2 or 3 variations of it: THE smorgasbord mod for this game that adds in all the races and units you'll want including titans but also the jankiest and i don't think i ever managed to play a full game online without a desync happening. Hell even in SP skirmish the game tends to die due to the particle effect spam especially if you are like me and like doing some 1v3/4 setups on chokepoint maps like rhean floodlands on the hardest difficulty vs some swarm race like nids or orks.
-Unification mod:: another smorgasbord mod but not quite as crazy as UA and a lot more stable as a result. Gameplay changes are also minimal so you can expect a similar feel and balance to vanilla whereas UA really is its own thing. But the real difference imo is that rather then go all in on giving you a billion units, unification goes for the approach of adding in as many races and factions it can collect from other projects, usually defunct and abandoned ones.
As a result the quality varies massively, resulting from one extreme like the blood angels who are rescued strays from one of the very first dawn of war mods released when i was a teenager and hasn't received any updates or attention so feel sorely lacking unless you really dig the transylvanian accents for their voices, to the emperors children/sisters of slaneesh (you pick which one to go for during the game) which has had a lot of love and modding expertise poured into them so feel like a high quality faction to play.
-Storm over kronus (i think it was called?): an attempt at replicating tabletop rules into dawn of war with...interesting results. Expect far longer ranges and lethal firefights where your space marines can die in 1 hit (from failing their 3+ armor save) to a single lasgun volley.
-Tweaked campaign mod (forgot the name but you will know if you see it): reverts some hated changes to the soulstorm campaign such as bringing back building permanance, now when you fight on a map on build up a base, it will still be there if there is another battle on the same map, just like in dark crusade. Not what OP asked for but it plays well with other mods so figured i'd throw it in there whilst at it.

Been a while since really explored the soulstorm modding scene but from what I understand it's still quite alive and kicking.
Nanafuse

Post by Nanafuse »

real vlajderbeastmen play bazs mod lego rock raider
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yuri's Resurgence and Yuri's Revenge Re-Engagement mods:
https://www.moddb.com/members/concolor1/downloads
Vlajdimir Ermenović

Post by Vlajdimir Ermenović »

Acrux wrote: April 20th, 2023, 21:14
Yuri's Resurgence and Yuri's Revenge Re-Engagement mods:
https://www.moddb.com/members/concolor1/downloads
Yes :D adding a Yuri campaign is doing God's work.
Last edited by Vlajdimir Ermenović on April 21st, 2023, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.