We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Adventurer's Guild Games Suggestions & Upcoming

Participate in a new RPG each month with other members of the HQ
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Tweed wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:53
Xenich wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:13
Anon wrote: March 31st, 2024, 00:07

Stop saying so much truth, you're making me sad
It was an awesome time to play them, though I don't miss the load times when running certain systems from a floppy drive. I think this is why I love the emulators, especially eXo's work as you not only get to play the game without all the headache of setting up sound card interrupts, memory size, etc... but having all the different versions of sound cards is great as some of them were pretty pricey at the time.
I dunno, there was a feeling suspense,sticking a floppy into the C64 and waiting two minutes for the game to load up.

Also, while Exo is set up to run everything it's not always the most optimal (for me), knowing how to mess with the settings will help a lot.
I think all the setting files are easily found so you can tweak them to your own specifications if you like. It is a very simplistic implementation (he uses batch files for most of the processes).
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Tweed wrote: March 30th, 2024, 22:42
Watser wrote: March 30th, 2024, 21:32
What about Dungeon Master? Significant historical importance and still considered the best in its genre (together with Chaos Strikes Back).
If most people here haven't played it I don't see why not, probably need to take some polls on these things. I never played CSB myself.
It's similar to Wasteland in that regard, as you also suggested. Great games, easy to pick up, and I don't think a lot of people have actually played them. Include the first three Wizardry games in that category as well.

Do anyone have any objections to:

Code: Select all

Anvil of Dawn
Demon's Winter
Dungeon Master
Fallout 1.5: Resurrection
Stonekeep
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 1
Including the classics with the more obscure stuff would hopefully improve participation if a sizable number of users haven't played them.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

Watser wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:18
Watser wrote: March 30th, 2024, 21:32
What about Dungeon Master? Significant historical importance and still considered the best in its genre (together with Chaos Strikes Back).
If most people here haven't played it I don't see why not, probably need to take some polls on these things. I never played CSB myself.
It's similar to Wasteland in that regard, as you also suggested. Great games, easy to pick up, and I don't think a lot of people have actually played them. Include the first three Wizardry games in that category as well.

Anvil of Dawn
Demon's Winter
Dungeon Master
Stonekeep
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 1
Including the classics with the more obscure stuff would hopefully improve participation if a sizable number of users haven't played them.
If Wizardry is to be attempted perhaps it would be better to wait until the new remake leaves early access. Unless I'm mistaken it will allow for identical play of the original game with a few more graphical bells and whistles.

If you are looking for more classics to put on that list is there any interest in playing Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss and/or Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds?
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Mostly DOS, but there are some Amiga in there as well.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep
Druid: Daemons of the Mind
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic
Abandoned Places: A Time for Heroes
Black Crypt
Shadowlands
AutoDuel
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

SpellSword wrote: March 31st, 2024, 11:10
Watser wrote: March 31st, 2024, 10:18

Anvil of Dawn
Demon's Winter
Dungeon Master
Stonekeep
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 1
If Wizardry is to be attempted perhaps it would be better to wait until the new remake leaves early access. Unless I'm mistaken it will allow for identical play of the original game with a few more graphical bells and whistles.

If you are looking for more classics to put on that list is there any interest in playing Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss and/or Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds?
That "remake" is garbage.
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

aweigh wrote: March 31st, 2024, 15:13
That "remake" is garbage.
That is pretty disappointing. I've been reading the game's forum and your right about the current state of the remake. There are a lot of strange changes being reported like rounding up the amount of gold you aquire and apparently no way to turn off some of the new features. I was hoping to be able to play Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord with just a few extra sounds but it looks like the old console versions will remain the best option for that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

This will be the list used for picking April's game, if anyone wants to contest a game(or has a late addition) post now
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown
Dragon Wars
Realms of Antiquity
Exile III
The Aethra Chronicles, Volume One: Celystra's Bane
Daemonsgate
Prophecy of the Shadow
Crystals of Arborea
Challenge of the Five Realms
Amberstar
Anvil of Dawn
Demon's Winter
Dungeon Master
Stonekeep
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 1
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep
Druid: Daemons of the Mind
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic
Abandoned Places: A Time for Heroes
Black Crypt
Shadowlands
AutoDuel
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

If AutoDuel is valid does that mean Roadwars 2000/Europa is valid too?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Tweed wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:25
Is AutoDuel not an RPG? I didn't check any of these, I'm relying on you guys.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:26
It is,
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 1st, 2024, 02:26
Its a hybrid. Maybe not ideal due to its driving/action play combined with an RPG development system in play.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/1296/autoduel/

I picked it because it looked interesting, though that style of play may turn people off.

I think Black Crypt is Amiga only, but setup of this is pretty simple.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/9528/black-crypt/

To get it: (I think you already know, but WHDloads are pre-config roms with all the settings configured similar to DOSbox)

https://whdownload.com/

Easiest way to play them is via Retroarch using the PBUAE core through retroarch:

https://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=platforms

For reference on the core: https://docs.libretro.com/library/puae/

Though if you are purest and want more control in an emulator (though it takes some amiga knowledge to tweak, but the WHDloads pretty much take care of a lot of that)

https://fs-uae.net/

Ultimately though, the eXoDos approach is the easiest as it is all one download, one click and play. (ie pass on the amiga if its too much hassle, but there are some very good cRPGs in Amiga, and in many ways, the best version of the game, similar to AppleIIe versions often being better than the DOS depending on game).

Ok, been playing with both emulators for Amiga, Retroarch is very good in its ease of use and if you know how to configure it, tons of options for how you like to play, but... be prepared for save state problems, as you have already mentioned in a previous thread.

FS-UAE is very good as well, more power if you like to tweak the Amiga models, add memory, etc... and more specifically it is closer to true emulation, so you have all of the normal limitations that the game would impose on saving and the like (not sure if it allows tools outside of that as it concerns save states).

So if you want to add Amiga into the mix more frequently, it will be low hassle, and easy setup. Here is a screen.

Last edited by Xenich on April 1st, 2024, 15:16, edited 4 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

May is for SunDog: Frozen Legacy.