We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Mass Effect series.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The only scene I liked in 3. RIP my favorite Amerimutt.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

loregamer wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:27
ME3 totally fucked up Legion's character.
Kill AIs. Behead AIs. Roundhouse kick an AI into the concrete. Slam dunk an AI baby into the trashcan. Crucify filthy machines. Defecate in an AIs food. Launch AIs into the sun. Stir fry AIs in a wok. Toss AIs into active volcanoes. Urinate into an AIs gas tank. Judo throw AIs into a wood chipper. Twist AIs heads off. Report AIs to the IRS. Karate chop AIs in half. Curb stomp pregnant AIs. Trap AIs in quicksand. Crush AIs in the trash compactor. Liquefy AIs in a vat of acid. Eat AIs. Dissect AIs. Exterminate AIs in the gas chamber. Stomp AI skulls with steel toed boots. Cremate AIs in the oven. Lobotomize AIs. Mandatory abortions for AIs. Grind AI fetuses in the garbage disposal. Drown AIs in fried chicken grease. Vaporize AIs with a ray gun. Kick old AIs down the stairs. Feed AIs to alligators. Slice AIs with a katana.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Making Tali kill herself by siding with him was pretty funny though
Ligrev

Post by Ligrev »

Indoctrination theory is The One True Ending! :read:

► Show Spoiler
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Your writing is in very dire straits when the fan preferred theory is that the whole thing was made up because the protagonist got severe brain damage and became a retard.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

I personally headcanon it (It's a different writer than who wrote him originally in 2 so I don't give a shit about 'authorial intent') that Legion and the Geth as a whole are thoroughly Indoctrinated by the time we encounter them in ME3. The whole sequence in the Geth Consensus is designed to make you feel pity for them showing only their side of the story of the Morning War.
Envergence

Post by Envergence »

TheEmptyRoad wrote: March 28th, 2024, 18:13
I personally headcanon it (It's a different writer than who wrote him originally in 2 so I don't give a shit about 'authorial intent') that Legion and the Geth as a whole are thoroughly Indoctrinated by the time we encounter them in ME3. The whole sequence in the Geth Consensus is designed to make you feel pity for them showing only their side of the story of the Morning War.
I was not at all surprised to discover the writer that took over for Legion was Patrick Weekes. This dude notoriously ruins lore, especially in Dragon Age. His books are shit, everything he writes smacks of pretentiousness and narcissism, and he tries to sneak in woke shit where he can. The Qunari are tyrannical communists, but they validate trans people uwu. They're also funny sex pests now. :|

The kicker is he gave himself a social shield with "they/them" pronouns, making him immune to criticism, I guess. I hate this guy for ruining what I enjoyed. Love or hate David Gaider, it's a travesty that Weekes took over as a head writer.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

writers were a mistake, the only writer you need is the guy who programs the game
Ligrev

Post by Ligrev »

Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 17:43
Your writing is in very dire straits when the fan preferred theory is that the whole thing was made up because the protagonist got severe brain damage and became a retard.
Maybe, maybe not.

There was that one Biofag writer, if I remember correctly, that said IT was too smart for the writers to actually implement it in the game. :groan:

But they really should. It is a BIG aspect of ME1, the whole Illusive Man plot and it should have been explored with Shepard considering all his dealings with the Reapers and their tech.

if they are smart, they will choose the IT route for the new game.
► Show Spoiler
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

i never wanted a new mass effect game after three. like whats going to top reaper threat anyways? they are the ultimate enemies i cant think anything bigger than them, its all bullshit nobody or nothing will top that.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I wouldn't have minded a game with a less over the top threat that fleshed out the universe a bit more. One of the biggest fumbles is how interesting the Mass Effect universe started and then slowly and slowly became more generic. A new Mass Effect game with multiple races to play as and factions to join and get to know deeper would be pretty interesting.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

gastovski wrote: March 28th, 2024, 19:56
like whats going to top reaper threat anyways?
gender conformism.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

i never wanted a new mass effect game after three. like whats going to top reaper threat anyways? they are the ultimate enemies i cant think anything bigger than them, its all bullshit nobody or nothing will top that.
the series had lots of plot threads that were just dropped
https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_energy

imo best thing to do would be to just split the timeline at the start of ME2, there's no non-shit way to continue the series after ME3.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

An edgy spin-off where you play as an outlaw/pirate/mercenary with the events of the trilogy going on in the background could be cool. Not handled by Bioware of course.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 28th, 2024, 20:02
the series had lots of plot threads that were just dropped
https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_energy

imo best thing to do would be to just split the timeline at the start of ME2, there's no non-shit way to continue the series after ME3.
i know about dark energy sub plot but i still think nothing will ever top reaper threat
Last edited by gastovski on March 28th, 2024, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Any game where you can punch out a journalist is a welcome addition.
TheEmptyRoad

Post by TheEmptyRoad »

gastovski wrote: March 29th, 2024, 08:03
andromeda great game

That sack of shit was a contractor that even BioWare and their fans actively distanced themselves from once his real opinions became known. I'm on BSNBoards and I can tell you they hate his guts.
The Leviathans. If I were a betting man, that's what I would bet on being the next big bad. They're going to fuck it up, but it'll probably be them.
Last edited by TheEmptyRoad on March 29th, 2024, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I wish someone would mod the foids in the games not to be ugly.
Vergil wrote: March 28th, 2024, 20:00
I wouldn't have minded a game with a less over the top threat that fleshed out the universe a bit more.
That's an issue many cRPGs face - the writers are retarded and think they need to up the stakes, which then clashes with the gameplay since the devs are too chickenshit to add a time limit, which is understandable since players tend to hate those. Cyberpunk 2077 suffers from the same ludonarrative dissonance (look, I'm using big words). cRPGs really need to learn how to shape the plot in such a way that it allows some breathing room for the player.

One big issue I had with all three Mass Effect games is the lack of space combat. Your ship is your hub, you spend a lot of time on it, you can even upgrade it, yet none of the games actually let you fight battles in space.

That being said, a game where you are a human specter doing actual specter stuff, instead of trying to stop the n-th ancient evil from awakening, would have been a much, much better way to handle the games, allowing for far more narrative freedom.
Last edited by gerey on March 29th, 2024, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Lol, no. Shitlibs and leftists, maybe. Not me or people like me.

Challenge accepted. Please let me know where you'll be and I'll bring the sledgehammer.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Gotta respect this Manveer dude. He goes to Montreal aka Shitlib central, joins the most libtarded dev studio at that time, rubs his racism right into fellow devs' faces, leaves.

Then the players praise Andromeda's gameplay (the thing he worked on), while shitting on everything else.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

This is why people shouldn't take rusty's opinions on games seriously.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

wndrbr wrote: March 29th, 2024, 12:54
Gotta respect this Manveer dude. He goes to Montreal aka Shitlib central, joins the most libtarded dev studio at that time, rubs his racism right into fellow devs' faces, leaves.

Then the players praise Andromeda's gameplay (the thing he worked on), while shitting on everything else.
He lied about his role, bioware made a public statement about it after he was let go.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

gerey wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:53
That's an issue many cRPGs face - the writers are retarded and think they need to up the stakes, which then clashes with the gameplay since the devs are too chickenshit to add a time limit, which is understandable since players tend to hate those. Cyberpunk 2077 suffers from the same ludonarrative dissonance (look, I'm using big words). cRPGs really need to learn how to shape the plot in such a way that it allows some breathing room for the player.

One big issue I had with all three Mass Effect games is the lack of space combat. Your ship is your hub, you spend a lot of time on it, you can even upgrade it, yet none of the games actually let you fight battles in space.

That being said, a game where you are a human specter doing actual specter stuff, instead of trying to stop the n-th ancient evil from awakening, would have been a much, much better way to handle the games, allowing for far more narrative freedom.
The writers are retarded - but their audience is even more retarded.

They must have a galactic threat to get even a drop of dopamine out of their fried brains. A game where you can do general war hero things (like fighting or photo ops or whatever) and flying about in the Normandy wouldn't be good enough for them. You must fight generic world ending scenario n.

It's why people complain so much about sandbox games.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Shillitron wrote: March 29th, 2024, 13:02
This is why people shouldn't take rusty's opinions on games seriously.
Anyone who likes ME2 is a woman. It's easily the worst of the three, the entire game is just interpersonal drama.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Mondain wrote: March 29th, 2024, 14:44
wndrbr wrote: March 29th, 2024, 12:54

He lied about his role, bioware made a public statement about it after he was let go.
An Indian lying on his resume? Unthinkable for such morally upright people!