We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

What game are you playing?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

TheCumGuzzler wrote: March 20th, 2024, 22:23
Yeah since gay men cannot conceive a child and inherit good genetics
They can. You can just artificially pollinate. And probably should, if you're trying to harvest specific genetics. But there's not that much reliable genetic inheritance.
TheCumGuzzler wrote: March 20th, 2024, 22:23
also you can put children in growth vats and use them as dispensable soldiers, being gay is a REALLY bad trait if you're going for that route.
It's almost wholly irrelevant. Not that you SHOULD go that route, because fully growthvatted children are pretty terrible as combatants, and you wouldn't want to be making them from YOUR colonists anyway, because then everyone gets weepy and emo when they die, as opposed to if you made them out of two random raiders and then disposed of the source raiders so the children aren't related to anyone so no one gives a fuck about them dying.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Currently catching up on on the new story content in Granblue Fantasy. The main storyline is actually pretty good, better than several full priced JRPGs I've played. Then I checked out the new 10th anniversary event storyline, "Heart of the Sun". There is some derpy stuff in here:

Bahamut, the creator of the GBF setting, flies around overhead surveying his creation. Then people decide they have to kill Bahamut because... he's done nothing?

*The armies of the godslayers attack Bahamut*
*Predictably they get slaughtered, few escape*
"Why did you do this! I'll get revenge!"

You led a military campaign, and don't understand the rationale behind the objective or the motivations of the troops you were leading? Of the people who were funding you and sending you food and weapons?

I fear for this country's future if their best soldiers are this dumb.

*Despite having reunited with her husband from her prior life/reincarnation, Sabrina comes back to her fiance, prince Ceodric, reaffirms her oath of engagement and asks him to stop being villainous and have a family with her*
*Ceodric refuses*
*Says he doesn't love her*
*Sabrina then goes to the man she was married to in her past life*
*Ceodric calls her an adulterous snake, strikes*
*Gets killed*

What was this dude thinking?
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

i recently did a 140 hour stint on my 2nd playthru of Dragon Quest XI, this 2nd playthru was of the "definitive edition". All in all, I think DQ11 might possibly be my favorite game of the decade. Incredibly refined and polished turn-based gameplay with obvious roots in Wizardry.

so after that i'm kinda in limbo, not really playing anything right now except some AAA slop to pass the time. mainly I'm waiting for Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes to release in April, that one will be my next "real" game. Hope it's good! Meanwhile I think i'll probably just waste time either playing Outcast remake or maybe finally finish playing Knights of the Chalice 2.
OnTilt

Post by OnTilt »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 21st, 2024, 03:05
Currently catching up on on the new story content in Granblue Fantasy. The main storyline is actually pretty good, better than several full priced JRPGs I've played. Then I checked out the new 10th anniversary event storyline, "Heart of the Sun". There is some derpy stuff in here:
Was this written by a woman?
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Been playing Daytona USA via RPCS3. I can see why the game is considered a classic, despite how simple it is I feel the urge to pick it back up every so often to see if I can finally make it to first place. Hasn't happened yet lol.
Element

Post by Element »

Have decided on finishing DAO
So much lore being dumped into the codex, and so little of it feels organic to the world.
KnightoftheWind

Nooneatall wrote: March 21st, 2024, 11:23
Dragons dogma 2 tonight
I suppose you have the RTX 4090 and Ryzen 7950x3D with 32GB of RAM required to play it at 1080p/60 max settings?. :smug:
Anon

Post by Anon »

He's filling greedai namco's pockets, obviously he's filling ngreedia's as well.
KnightoftheWind

At least Greedai Namco doesn't bloat their games to the extent that players are expected to brute force their way to a playable experience with the highest end PC hardware available. Crapcom clearly did not optimise their work at all.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oh I thought dd2 was bandai's, not crapcom's. Yeah that only makes it worse.
KnightoftheWind

We'll probably see a series of "performance improving" patches in the next 6 months, but I'm just sick and tired of these companies shitting out unplayable disasters and expecting consoooooomers to split the difference and fork over obscene amounts of money for bad technology. I'd rather Dragon's Dogma 2 use the same engine as the original, at least then it would have been playable on even modest hardware.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Pretty fun overall, though I thought the cutscenes went on for too long as usual, didn't like the couple of two-hour-dungeons-with-no-savepoints in principle, and was a bit irked at the lack of reactivity (you can unlock an optional character but she has no bearing on the main story, you can end up running the #1 business of Yokohama and it doesn't get brought up at all during the election plot). It was also terribly amusing how the bad guy's sinister plan involves peaceably deporting all the illegal immigrants. Ryu Ga Gotoku welcomes refugees.

Even though I typically don't get enjoyment from overcoming difficult challenges in games anymore, the highlight was a fight against an established character that took me several tries. I think the music was a big factor in that. I also liked how the first final boss just stops fighting back once his health is knocked down low enough and how each subsequent boss is easier than the last. I love victory laps in games.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

HROT. I already played the first two episodes during the early access period, only got around finishing the third one a few days ago.

It's an indie fps game that stuck design-wise somewhere inbetween doom (there's no floor over floor in HROT, all levels are single-layered) and quake1 (even though the levels are 2.5d, everything else is in full 3d and there's plenty of elevation). So it plays kinda like modern gzdoom games with a freelook unlocked.

What makes this game stand out is it's very unique vibe. Unlike other "boomer shooters", HROT is not trying to ape other great FPS games of yore directly, and instead forges its own identity - a weird psychedelic dark comedy full of soviet/communist/czech memes.

My only complaint is the final boss. The bossfight itself is really funny and creative, but the problem is that the boss is a real life person who is neither a communist nor he has any relation to Czechia. Felt kinda out of place.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Looks like I'm going to be completely consumed by Path of Exile again this upcoming league
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Finished Quake 4. Pretty much a reskin of Doom 3, though with a flashlight equipped on the two starter guns, vehicle sections to break up the shooting, radio chatter instead of audio logs, and no monster closets. I would have preferred if the soundtrack was industrial metal like Quake 2's rather than a cinematic score. Chris Vrenna's theme was good though. The ammo drops were pretty well-balanced. The last couple of levels got pretty demanding, but nothing I couldn't handle. Solidly competent, but I don't believe the Doom 3 engine could ever achieve greatness.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Roguey wrote: March 25th, 2024, 22:44
but I don't believe the Doom 3 engine could ever achieve greatness
I think the Dark Mod makes pretty good use of it.
Protean

Post by Protean »

gerey wrote: March 25th, 2024, 22:50
Roguey wrote: March 25th, 2024, 22:44
but I don't believe the Doom 3 engine could ever achieve greatness
I think the Dark Mod makes pretty good use of it.
Certainly would have made a better choice for a VTMB sequel or mod.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Protean wrote: March 25th, 2024, 23:01
Certainly would have made a better choice for a VTMB sequel or mod.
No good facial animation tools because Carmack couldn't care less about such things. Pure first person action engine.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

storyfag games are gay so that would have been an improvement
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Playing Berserk and the Band of the Hawk. As someone who struggled against (and was obsessed with) Artorias playing Dark Souls back in the day it's very gratifying how Guts has a lot of the same moves in this game which is helpful since you have to play as him for like 90% of the story mode.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I just finished Bug Fables. Mechanically and artistically it's a Paper Mario clone, but with bugs. The characters are very likeable, the world is interesting, and the story is surprisingly serious. Decent difficulty if you keep the hard mode badge equipped. I detected zero wokeness. If it were a game about humans I would criticize the prevalence of female rulers and warriors, but they're bugs, so it actually makes sense. I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Paper Mario.

40% off on GOG right now.
Last edited by WhiteShark on March 28th, 2024, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
fkirenicus

Post by fkirenicus »

Finally Got Icewind Dale 2 working again. Playing that alongside BG3.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: March 15th, 2024, 18:35
Why do these games never let you make your man and walk around on ships :sad:
Coming back to this post because I really like games that let you walk around big vehicles, especially ones piloted by players

There's Guns of Icarus, a multiplayer Steampunk airship combat game where teams of 4 have to work together to take down other ships. I only played this one a little bit and it's FUCKING DEAD

Then Blackwake, which was a lot better and I put quite a few hours into. Generally teams are split between a few ships of varying sizes, with some crewed by up to 16 people. With so many players, duties would be split up between spotting, patching up holes, pumping water, putting out fire, loading the guns and delivering ammo, etc. Having 12 people run the guns on the port side and annihilating an enemy ship was the coolest shit ever. It is also FUCKING DEAD

And this one barely gets a pass but the Halo 4 mission "Reclaimer" takes place on top of a Mammoth, a giant fuckoff vehicle equipped with turrets, power weapons, a bunch of marines, and smaller vehicles, which makes it one of my favorite Halo levels even though the game sucks and is FUCKING DEAD