We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General Immersive Sim Thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

wndrbr wrote: March 27th, 2024, 01:18
a couple of interviews with Ken Levine's studio regarding their upcoming game where you play as a white liberal woman with a zoophile tattoo.

Cookies?

wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

@Oyster Sauce it's Ken Levine, what did you expect?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

bioslop wasn't an imsim so I don't see why you'd expect jewish man's fetish game to be one either
Protean

Post by Protean »

I made the best throw of my life in bioshook infinite.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 01:38
bioslop wasn't an imsim so I don't see why you'd expect jewish man's fetish game to be one either
Immersive sim is not even a genre.

I'm just posting it here because it doesn't deserve its own thread, but it will likely get lost if i post it in 'stuff not deserving its own thread' thread.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

wndrbr wrote: March 27th, 2024, 01:45
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 27th, 2024, 01:38
Immersive sim is not even a genre.

I'm just posting it here because it doesn't deserve its own thread, but it will likely get lost if i post it in 'stuff not deserving its own thread' thread.
immersive sim means rpg where you can drag boxes around
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

immersive sim is a shooter with a stealth toggle
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Immersive sim has to be the least descriptive name of a genre ever. When I think of the phrase "immersive sim" none of the games in that genre are what comes to mind.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Judas is a deliberately provocative game about cancel culture.

~Narrative legos~

Though the way he describes it, it's basically systemic faction mechanics from RPGs? And that obnoxious streamer was acting like it's something that had never been done before (while citing Bethesda games).
Last edited by Roguey on March 29th, 2024, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Roguey wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:28
~Narrative legos~

Though the way he describes it, it's basically systemic faction mechanics from RPGs?
Ken Levine strikes again (he cut the narrative legos).
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Roguey wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:28
like it's something that had never been done before
People were sucking his circumcised dick as far back as BioShock 1, and game journalists were so desperate to convince everyone BioShock: Infinite was a deep and philosophical game.

Game looks like BioShock in space. What has he spent 6+ years doing?

Or is Judas another Levine-certified trainwreck where he wastes everyone's time and money because he has no clue what he wants the game to be, only to wrangle whatever bits are usable into another copy of BioShock once the money starts running out?
Last edited by gerey on March 29th, 2024, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

gerey wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:38
Or is Judas another Levine-certified trainwreck where he wastes everyone's time and money because he has no clue what he wants the game to be, only to wrangle whatever bits are usable into another copy of BioShock once the money starts running out?
This is the Levine method, yes.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/wa ... ultiplayer

Warren Spector is back, and this time he and the hacks from Otherside Entertainment are making Thief... but as a live service game.
Famed creative director Warren Spector still wants to break new game design ground in the world of immersive sims. He and his colleagues at Otherside Entertainment are finally revealing details about the post-System Shock 3 games they've been working on, backed by funding from Aonic Group and its new publishing arm Megabit.

The first is Thick as Thieves, a "thief versus thief" or "TvT" immersive simulator where players compete to steal treasure in open environments. Players sneak or brawl their way through a fantasy world as they would in...well, Thief: The Dark Project (directed by OtherSide vice president of product Greg LoPiccolo). They find the loot, they get the loot, they bring the loot back to their base—but all the while, another player is lurking around the same back alleys and crawlspaces, trying to get the treasure for themselves.

It has not been a great year for live service games. The juggernauts of the genre are as strong as ever but when publishers like Electronic Arts are laying off developers on games as profitable as Apex Legends, you get the sense that there's something in the water. To see Spector excited about the space in such hard times was surprising. So we asked him how the studio plans to execute such an ambitious business model. "I'm the creative guy, I don't think about that," he replied with a deadpan tone.
sounds like they are ripping off ThieveryUT.