We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 22:31
I really hate Gloves of Hill Giant Strengthesque items. Super fucking boring and they're always best in slot. Boring boring boring.
I like these more than items that just give a bunch of stats, and every slot is some globohomo approved +str/dex/con/attack stat mix that appears in 90% of games.
In fact, I don't think I like gear giving stats much at all now that I think on it.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 22:33
I really hate Gloves of Hill Giant Strengthesque items. Super fucking boring and they're always best in slot. Boring boring boring.
I like these more than items that just give a bunch of stats, and every slot is some globohomo approved +str/dex/con/attack stat mix that appears in 90% of games.
In fact, I don't think I like gear giving stats much at all now that I think on it.
The Pathfinder games gave up and started sticking bonus effects on top of the +6/+6/+6 items. Pretty cheesy, but better than just the numbers I guess.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 22:43
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 22:33
The Pathfinder games gave up and started sticking bonus effects on top of the +6/+6/+6 items. Pretty cheesy, but better than just the numbers I guess.
Amusing(due to the link to 3.5e) because I think Dungeons & Dragons Online has some of my favorite itemization. It does have (mostly) what you described above, but because each stat has its own type they don't stack.

(This is just a random item I grabbed off the wiki, it's presumably one of the most powerful gloves available)

Because the STR bonus is 'Enhancement', it won't stack with any other 'Enhancement' bonus towards STR. If you wanted to add more STR to your character, you would need to find an item with an Alchemical, Insight, etc., typed bonus towards STR. e.g., the +1 Insightful bonus from this bracer would stack with it as it's a different type of bonus:

My main issue here is DDO suffers from stat inflation at this point, but it is a very old game that has been going on for a long time.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 23rd, 2024, 22:54, edited 2 times in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:37
Vergil wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:22
Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:19
Nah, that's the kind of stuff accessibility is supposed to mean. Not this new zoomer interpretation of "game too hard, make story options".
I want less accessibility.
Wait until you hit your 40s, kid, and need UI scaling options for everything.
Imagine being 40 and not being able to buy a larger monitor.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Vergil wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:13
I'm tired of seeing options for "color blindness" settings in games now. Especially when I first start them up. If you're a fucking mutant you're lesser than me and should have to be reminded of that.
It's legally required now. As is the nonsense of having text to speech so blind people can play multiplayer games.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

J1M wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 23:20
Vergil wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:13
I'm tired of seeing options for "color blindness" settings in games now. Especially when I first start them up. If you're a fucking mutant you're lesser than me and should have to be reminded of that.
It's legally required now. As is the nonsense of having text to speech so blind people can play multiplayer games.
Which is why a lot of multiplayer games no longer have text chat…
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Tried Fear and Hunger. Do people really pretend to enjoy this?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

@Kalarion How was DOS 1 splitscreen? Does it feel alright with a controller?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

It's fine. If you're playing couch co-op the only time you're going to have to deal with split-screen is while wandering. If you talk with each other it won't be a problem at all. Generally my wife just let me drive, we only split far enough apart to set up certain tougher fights.

During battle you don't have split-screen, instead the battle camera focuses on the player whose turn it is like normal.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

if only goy had put as much focus and mental dexterity in jew economics as they do in d&d counting points frameworks
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I don't know what version of AA is the best and always use the setting at the end of the list
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Fuck optimizing the release so it doesn't take up 70 gigs, fuck squashing bugs or adding more content and/or quality of life features, the devs know what the players want, pronouns!

They had time to add this shit, but no time to reserve more serves so people could actually play the game.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

They changed it to say "Breathe blew themself up" instead of "Breathe blew himself up", but I wonder if it used to say "herself" if you were playing as Leia, Aayla, etc.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

It's crazy to watch the whole gaming industry immolating themselves. Journo's and devs just lashing out one after another while firings continue. I think the AAA collapse is going to continue for years.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Breathe wrote: March 26th, 2024, 16:20
I think the AAA collapse is going to continue for years.
Please don't make promises like that. I'm afraid of being disappointed.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Blizzard apparently changed their EULA recently, to include forced arbitration and a "you own nothing" clause. This collapse will be slow, painful, and absolutely justified.
cbight

Post by cbight »

Breathe wrote: March 26th, 2024, 16:20
It's crazy to watch the whole gaming industry immolating themselves. Journo's and devs just lashing out one after another while firings continue. I think the AAA collapse is going to continue for years.
Acrux wrote: March 26th, 2024, 16:38
Please don't make promises like that. I'm afraid of being disappointed.
Kowe

Post by Kowe »

Besides the excessive IP protection and making gamers not own anything, it will be a competency crisis accompanied by missing innovation. The industry is shooting itself in the foot with all the quotas and diversity. Except if some part of the gaming community will still swallow all that "goyslop". Gamers need to be relentless and uncompromising in the long-run, asking for quality and none of that DEI shit.

As a side-note:
VGChartz: Console Sales
Nintendo has the least problem, they are also one of the most lucrative and best handled companies in the industry. Number one company in Japan. Reflected also in their sales which is a total of 138.50M Switches. Not considering their horrible anti-piracy and modding stance. Xbox has been the loser this generation and I have heard that this may be their lost console. Same for Sony, but their PS5 sells speak differently.
It isn't conclusive of the quality of the games released on these systems, but more releases are multi-platform nowadays. So there can be a heavy shift away from hardware to software production in the future.

Here some interesting anaylsis. It is an invidio.us fork.
Last edited by Kowe on March 26th, 2024, 18:01, edited 2 times in total.
Protean

Post by Protean »

This death-spiral began with higher ed. "I want to make biddeo gayms when I grow up!" should never have made the curriculum. Games just died the same death as other art and cinema, even gimping itself by immitating movies, because games were just interactive movies to the masses playing Lucas Arts games.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Is this a rebranding of that Star Trek game that got C&D'd by CBS?

If so, CBS is run by fucking retards. Why would you C&D it instead of licensing it to them?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 26th, 2024, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
BobT

Post by BobT »

I miss the days when two blokes made an awesome game in their mum's garage.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

BobT wrote: March 27th, 2024, 00:48
Where was the father?
BobT

Post by BobT »

Irenaeus wrote: March 27th, 2024, 01:00
BobT wrote: March 27th, 2024, 00:48
Where was the father?
Bringing them beer and snacks, I presume./
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Call of Duty is so fucking weird now

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/call- ... 0-6522208/
Call Of Duty 4/20 Event Brings Cheech And Chong, A Stoned Sloth, And Weed-Themed Bundles

Celebrate the stoner holiday in Call of Duty with Cheech and Chong operators, a Blaze Up mode, and more.

@Tweed --------------------------------------------^

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on March 27th, 2024, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Come on now this is shit I would call hack and overplayed/boomerish if it was in a parody. Bloated a classic game to 70gbs, made it dysfunctional and added gender autism to it. Game devs need to be full on Saw trap tortured dawg
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Guild Wars 3 confirmed to be in development by NCsoft shareholder report
Q. NC West has been running a deficit for 8 years, and I don’t understand why the person in charge remains the same.

Acting Chairman Park Byeong-moo = NC West’s deficit issue is not something that should be looked at solely based on numbers. Personally, as I have been moving NCSoft for 17 years, I have seen NCWest also undergo various reorganization efforts. Originally, NC had six studios in the United States, and the work was done to organize the six and integrate them into one ArenaNet. Although additional costs were incurred in the process, it ultimately resulted in a competitive ArenaNet. Rather than looking at the deficit as a number, NC contributed to strengthening competitiveness in the United States.

ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called ‘Guild Wars’, and after Guild Wars 2, they are currently working on ‘Guild Wars 3’. Looking at this process, we have considerable competitiveness. Although it is not completely profitable, I believe that it has increased its competitiveness.
Given how Anet's other projects died stillborn and how GW2 has been languishing for the past five years, I'm doubtful this will turn out good.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 28th, 2024, 18:48
Guild Wars 3 confirmed to be in development by NCsoft shareholder report
Q. NC West has been running a deficit for 8 years, and I don’t understand why the person in charge remains the same.

Acting Chairman Park Byeong-moo = NC West’s deficit issue is not something that should be looked at solely based on numbers. Personally, as I have been moving NCSoft for 17 years, I have seen NCWest also undergo various reorganization efforts. Originally, NC had six studios in the United States, and the work was done to organize the six and integrate them into one ArenaNet. Although additional costs were incurred in the process, it ultimately resulted in a competitive ArenaNet. Rather than looking at the deficit as a number, NC contributed to strengthening competitiveness in the United States.

ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called ‘Guild Wars’, and after Guild Wars 2, they are currently working on ‘Guild Wars 3’. Looking at this process, we have considerable competitiveness. Although it is not completely profitable, I believe that it has increased its competitiveness.
Given how Anet's other projects died stillborn and how GW2 has been languishing for the past five years, I'm doubtful this will turn out good.
someone post the tweet of the GW2 lead designer bragging about never even playing GW1