We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The book thread.

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: February 8th, 2024, 23:35
I just finished Who Fears the Devil, which I think is the fully collected Silver John stories by Manly Wade Wellman. There are actually several different collections of these stories and they all have a different set, so I'm not quite sure. I'd read a few of them in the past.

The main stories evoke the folklore of Appalachia and those areas really well. In between each one there's a one or two paragraph micro-story - those are excellent. The drawing for each story are very expressive in the 1st Edition Monster Manual kind of way. There's a nice Christmas story included, too.

Lots of good fun country talk. @rusty_shackleford you'd like it as it's stories about your people.
viewtopic.php?p=10257-bardic-history-si ... ohn#p10257
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Any book suggestions for science fantasy-esque far after the apocalypse settings? Dying Earth but not quite dying.

Probably going to get M.A.R. Barker's Tékumel books.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 25th, 2024, 05:58, edited 2 times in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Brando Sando!

Real answer: Wolf in Shadow trilogy by David Gemmell.
I guess the Thomas Covenant and Shannarah books count, if you like those.
Personally, I recommend Day of the Triffids but it's "a right during the apocalypse" book.

But seriously, this topic is nearly every Sanderdon book.

Tekumel is a great choice.

Oh yeah, the New Sun, Long Sun, etc books by Gene Wole.
Canticle for Liebowitz
I can't believe I forgot The Night Land!
Last edited by Acrux on February 25th, 2024, 06:27, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: February 25th, 2024, 06:46
Tekumel had one ok book.
I don't think that book you're thinking of was part of Tekumel.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 25th, 2024, 05:47
Any book suggestions for science fantasy-esque far after the apocalypse settings? Dying Earth but not quite dying.

There's a few D&D Dark Sun novels that are decent, like the Verdant Passage series from Troy Denning. I have the audiobooks if you want me to send you a copy of them.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Goblin_Hammer wrote: February 25th, 2024, 09:46

There's a few D&D Dark Sun novels that are decent, like the Verdant Passage series from Troy Denning. I have the audiobooks if you want me to send you a copy of them.
Yes, please send me the audiobooks.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

I'm finishing reading Blood Meridian. Can anybody recommend me similar fictionized historical books with lots of gruesome shit set in 19 century America?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Fargus wrote: March 25th, 2024, 18:20
I'm finishing reading Blood Meridian. Can anybody recommend me similar fictionized historical books with lots of gruesome shit set in 19 century America?
why do you want to read fiction? real history is better

you can read My 60 Years on the Plains, The Adventures of Bigfoot Wallace, or Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession instead.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Emphyrio wrote: March 25th, 2024, 18:32
why do you want to read fiction? real history is better

you can read My 60 Years on the Plains, The Adventures of Bigfoot Wallace, or Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession instead.
Checked for multiple such books like the one about Hugh Glass and none of them being published where i live. I guess more or less famous fictional books are easier to find for sale than historical. I can always download them and read from pc but i prefer to hold a book when i read it.

In any case thanks for recommendations. *Updated my journal*
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

imagine being named Hugh Glass
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Emphyrio wrote: March 25th, 2024, 18:46
imagine being named Hugh Glass
I heard he killed a bear who made fun of his name.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

No, but try Suttree next. Its about my people.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

The Bobiverse series by Dennis E. Taylor was a solid pager turner, about a guy who gets his head frozen and is re-awoken to find himself an AI used in a wartime space race, and then expands into some novel directions.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/192752-bobiverse
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

ManjuShri wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 02:36
The Bobiverse series by Dennis E. Taylor was a solid pager turner, about a guy who gets his head frozen and is re-awoken to find himself an AI used in a wartime space race, and then expands into some novel directions.

David Gemmell's Jon Shannow series also qualifies, as a religious gunman bent on taking on injustice in a post-apoc Wild West sci-fantasy setting.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/53254-jon-shannow
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Is Perdido Street Station good?
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

Didn't vibe with me, nor any other of the Bas Lag series.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

ManjuShri wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 23:59
Didn't vibe with me, nor any other of the Bas Lag series.
Did you like the Ambergris books? The first one made me want to play Dishonored.
ManjuShri
Turtle
Turtle

Post by ManjuShri »

Hadn't heard of those before, cheers for the heads up!
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

maidenhaver wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 23:39
Is Perdido Street Station good?
It depends. It's well written and it hits all the beats, but everyone in the book is either vile or a retarded faggot.

Except the mayor. He out-legalizes a literal demon, that part was awesome. He was the only one I was rooting for by the end of the book.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

ManjuShri wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 03:29
ManjuShri wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 02:36

David Gemmell's Jon Shannow series also qualifies, as a religious gunman bent on taking on injustice in a post-apoc Wild West sci-fantasy setting.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/53254-jon-shannow
luv me some david gemmell, simple as
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Reading the original Dying Earth anthology.
Well, listening to an audiobook and stopping to refer to the text when I hear something I need to reread to fully understand. :music:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 10:47
Well, listening to an audiobook and stopping to refer to the text when I hear something I need to reread to fully understand. :music:
The audiobook is narrated by Arthur Morey, and he's quite good, but my main gripe would be the books have a significant amount of dialogue from women and therefore would have benefited from being narrated by a man and a woman.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

i recommend ambrose bierce short stories, all of them, especially "my favourite murder" and his "devils dictionary".
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 16:05
[significant amount of dialogue from women
Better that they didn't speak.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Audiobooks are supplements and not replacements for reading. If you don't follow along you'll absorb near nothing, especially so if you're doing anything else. I frequently pause to reread a section or take notes. I set the audiobook to 1.25x speed.
rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 10:47
Just have about 2/3rds of Guyal of Sfere left, I'll finish it up tomorrow.
Excellent. In awe of how much Vance was capable of coming up with in these books. The collection was first published in 1950, but he apparently wrote many of these while in military service. Fantastic imagination. I'm not aware of any direct inspirations for these stories in terms of taking entire ideas, and there's many unique ideas here. I'm aware that some of the general themes existed, not what I'm referring to.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Morreion […] Unlike most wizards, he eschews spells for simple gestures powered by "personal force."
Coincidence, or precursor to D&D sorcerer?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 21:35
Audiobooks are supplements and not replacements for reading. If you don't follow along you'll absorb near nothing, especially so if you're doing anything else. I frequently pause to reread a section or take notes. I set the audiobook to 1.25x speed.
Fascinating. I had long thought I was the crazy one for preferring reading to listening because I felt I missed too much otherwise. Are you telling me other people miss stuff all the time and just don't care? Appalling.