We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

You should check out INSOMNIA: The Ark

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

You should check out INSOMNIA: The Ark

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I'm probably 30 hours in and it's… pretty good? It has a 6/10 rating on Steam and IMO that's too low.
My only major complaint is some side quests cannot be completed due to bugs. The combat is very, for lack of a better term, punchy. You die in 2-3 shots and have to find cover — it's not a cover shooter, you're just ducking behind whatever makeshift garbage is lying around. Also, a lot of this garbage gets destroyed from being shot.
The visual design is very good(see the screenshot thread).

Do I recommend buying it? Probably not. Unless I can get confirmation that it would go towards the developers. Do I recommend playing it so far? Yes.

If you were looking forward to Colony Ship and were disappointed, this might be a decent alternative for you depending on how well you handle jank.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 25th, 2024, 00:53, edited 3 times in total.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Yeah, I have it and played a bit of it. Very nice game with a great art direction - it's not often that you get to see dieselpunk in games.

And just like Rusty said, there's some quests that will bug out, but the Steam forums have a few suggestions on what to do avoid this, so before playing be sure to take a look.

To this day I'm still sad no one has made a game that had a setting similar to the generational ship found in the Druuna comics, but at least this one scratched the itch somewhat.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

I played it a few years back when it was in some cheap bundle, but I abandoned it as it was quite boring. I remember very little of it, except perhaps environments which were pretty cool.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

It looks nice enough and has interesting setting. Didn't bother to play it because of bugs, don't know if i ever will. They also done some dumbfuck balancing of firearms if i remember right before abandoning the game. Game being left in this state is a wasted potential, they should have at least open sourced it.

Post by 1998 »

If you play it, just don't go full range. If you are short one bullet, you game over. No way to grind more, no way to go back and buy more. Absolutely bs design.