We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Unicorn Overlord

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Unicorn Overlord

Post by Dead »

https://unicornoverlord.atlus.com/
LIBERATE YOUR KINGDOM, RECLAIM YOUR DESTINY

From the masterminds that brought 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and Odin Sphere, ATLUS x Vanillaware presents the rebirth of tactical fantasy RPG. Fight against fate and embark on a royal adventure to regain your reign alongside trustworthy allies.

Unicorn Overlord combines the timeless tactical RPG genre with overworld exploration and innovative battle system for a unique epic fantasy experience in the iconic Vanillaware style.
Thoughts?

Tags:
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Artstyle looks good, I like the presentation.

The title is garbage though. "Unicorn Overlord" sounds like a parody game.

So overall good first impression but I hope whoever came up with that name didn't name anything else in the game.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

The name sounds bad. Maybe it's better from a Japanese perspective.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

They likely just mashed together two words they thought sounded cool and left it at that. It's by no means the most egregious offender when it comes to engrish word salads.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I keep wanting to read it as Unicorn Overload, not that it really helps.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

The name is pretty shit but I do like the artwork.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Maybe Unicorn Underlord would've been better?
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The parts around 0:24 remind me of a mix of Ogre Battle 64 and those flash RTS games from 2 decades ago that just show numbers and you're supposed to reinforce points. (Like this one: https://gamedistribution.com/games/takeover)
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

To be honest, it's the only game I'm looking forward to this year, I love the uniqueness of Ogre Battle games. It's a shame that Ogre Battle 64 isn't available anywhere and it has bugs if you emulate it.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Capybara wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 15:54
To be honest, it's the only game I'm looking forward to this year, I love the uniqueness of Ogre Battle games. It's a shame that Ogre Battle 64 isn't available anywhere and it has bugs if you emulate it.
What bugs? I've played the hell out of it in Project64 and I don't remember any bugs it runs perfect.

Not saying you are wrong its just I am curious.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'd be embarassed if somebody asked me what I was playing. Precious Moments: Unicorn Overlord.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Cipher wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:03
What bugs? I've played the hell out of it in Project64 and I don't remember any bugs it runs perfect.

They are minor bugs, so nothing that you would notice unless you played the game in original hardware before.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Capybara wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:37
Cipher wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:03

They are minor bugs, so nothing that you would notice unless you played the game in original hardware before.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I never had an N64. I played the game and F-Zero X at a friend's house so to me it runs perfectly fine.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I've been playing it a lot since buying on release, maybe 12 hours so far? I'm having a lot of fun. Someone said a mash of Ogre Battle (MotBQ) and numbers-go-up flash games, that's not quite right. It's more like Ogre Battle with maybe Ni No Kuni. The battle system and character development are Ogre Battle through and through. But then you also have a big strategic world map that serves to get you from battle to battle, and you also gather resources/build up towns/play minigames on it.

Vanillaware did a great job with the graphics and art style. It's Dragon's Crown ++.

It's got the usual Japanese 90's liberal assumptions in it (strong girls, "we fight for liberty and equality", blah blah blah) but it really is 90's-era, it's not modern woke by any means. If you didn't mind the plot of, say, FFT, you'll be fine with this.

I'd love a little more differentiation between named characters and their "base" classes; and I'm pretty sure that story characters who promote to advanced classes are not going to change their graphic (I haven't gotten that far yet so I might be wrong). There's a lot of grindiness built into the resource-gathering mill and the nature of leveling. Other than that I don't have any complaints so far.

More to come.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

50 hours in, it's a good game if you have the tactics autism. Seeing your squads work or not work is always fun, and there are some truly busted combos you can make which never fail to give me joy when I watch them in action.

The story is a typical badguy bad/good guy good story. The writing does get a bit old but has some occasional funny parts.

There is a 5th difficulty for after you beat the game once which I will be trying out, and a pvp mode where you upload a squad to the net and then challenge others uploaded squads for coins, you spend these coins on some very powerful upgrades and items. I'm not going too hard on the pvp until I start my hardmode playthrough although it is fun to use a cheesy build to dumpster someone else's cheesy build.

I'm not playing the game for the writing or story, if you are then I think this is the wrong thred for you and you should go back to the starfield thread.
Last edited by Boontaker on March 18th, 2024, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Scarlet Seeker seemed to take issue with the localization finding it much too flowery for his tastes.

Seemed to upset the weebs who went into full defense "AKSHUALLY…" mode

[edit]
Had wrong video, fixed
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 23rd, 2024, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I'm about halfway through, maybe 40 hours in or so. Scarlet Seeker's criticism of the localization is on point. The faux-flowery bullshit and the modern anachronisms peppered throughout the script are really aggravating.

Combat is an exact match of Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen. If you liked that (I loved it), you'll like this. All the more so for its rarity (the only other game I know that uses a deterministic party-based autobattle system is Symphony of War). The graphics for combat are excellent, Vanillaware nailed it. I have two main gripes - it's too easy to just smash your way through most fights, and the preview system is 100% accurate, meaning that unless you're caught by surprise (which can only happen if you're not paying attention), you'll always know exactly what the outcome of each battle will be. Thankfully there's an arena system that lets you go through a series of offline fights, where the outcome of each fight is hidden until you engage it. This is much more in keeping with the spirit of Ogre Battle, and I appreciated getting raped repeatedly trying to figure out how to win against various arena teams. There's also an online arena, where you can set up a team that will autobattle other players' teams. I haven't tried it yet because I know I wouldn't get anywhere until I've got most characters and maxed them out, but it seems cool (see @Boontaker's post above).

The strategic layer is fine. You wander around a big world, fighting battles to liberate cities and paint the map. Cities give you fetch quests for various materials that can be harvested throughout the worldmap at nodes. Once you've done 1-3 fetch quests for a city, you get to station a guard there. The guard collects taxes and gathers from nearby resource nodes (assuming they're refreshed) after every battle you fight. Once you've taken over your first full nation and stationed guards at every city, you'll be rolling in money and extra resources in no time. There are also little map traversal quests, and treasure hunts. Unfortunately both are painfully easy and leave nothing to the imagination (finding a treasure map gives you a screenshot of the treasure's location, for instance). There's a little mining minigame that can be played in each nation for treasure maps, it's decent fun and doesn't outstay its welcome.

You can also customize your army setup, creating your squads, expanding your total number of fielded squads (up to 10) and the max size of each squad (up to 6 people, locked behind your Renown rating). You'll spend most of the game with a full 10 squad slots with a max size of 4 each. It's serviceable and allows for decent customization. Once you get to 5-6 man squads you can create some stupidly OP setups. Soldiers of varying types, at varying starting levels, can be hired at forts scattered around the world. You also pick up an enormous cast of characters automatically. Most of them are a simple carbon copy of whatever class they are (Fighter, Knight etc), with a unique graphic. The effect is that you'll very rarely feel any need to hire soldiers from forts (I did end up hiring several Wizards and Witches, because you only get one of those each, at least so far). I am very happy to report that I was wrong in thinking there'd be no change in character graphics on promotion. Both standard classes and story characters get new graphics on promotion. My main gripe here is that squad development and customization feels much more restrictive and flat than Ogre Battle. In that game all squads have six human-sized slots off the bat, no need to "buy" your way up from 2 slots to 6. But some monsters would take up more than one slot - Dragons and Octopi, for instance, took up 2 slots each. It made for some interesting considerations in party composition. Not so here. Every fighter takes exactly one slot in your party. Ogre Battle also had several opportunities to gain "hidden" classes as well - Liches, Princesses, Tiamats, different development paths for the base Mage class, Werewolves, Vampires... it was a lot of fun discovering new classes in that game. You won't see that here (or at least, I haven't yet. Maybe Boontaker could comment). It's still fun putting together your pieces, it just doesn't have the depth of discovery of its predecessor.

Character development is a pretty good copy of Ogre Battle. There are a ton of classes, each with their own abilities and uses in battle. Each class can promote to an advanced version that gives access to more skills, and improves stat growth. Each character also has several slots available for equipment, with a huge variety of items available, each with stats and some giving access to useable skills. It's very fiddly and encourages munchkinism, which I wholeheartedly endorse.

The story itself (leaving aside the localization issues) is pretty forgettable but not offensive, which is a big plus in my book. You're the son of a queen slain by an evil general who's resurrecting an ancient empire. Go kill shit and liberate the people. The end.

Finally I want to empasize that this game is, at least so far, very easy. I'm playing on Tactician mode (the equivalent of Hard, out of a possible Nightmare), and I haven't faced any significant challenge so far accept in arena matches. Partially it's because it's very easy to bloat yourself with levels and stat boosts - my main character is basically a demigod at this point, for instance - but partially it's because of the aforementioned battle preview system. Moving your squad to fight an enemy party tells you exactly how many hp (out of the sum of each squads' members) will be lost. You'll always know far in advance whether you can win or lose a fight, and can immediately change squad configuration to ensure a win. Compare to the original Ogre Battle, where sometimes you could lose an entire map if you weren't paying careful attention to enemy squad composition. Combine that with the ability to get ridiculously powerful, inadvertently even (as in my case), and it's a cakewalk for the most part. I plan to up the difficulty to the Nightmare equivalent (I can't remember what it's called), but I don't hold out much hope. We'll see, I guess.

Overall I'm still having a great time, I'll definitely finish the game and will at least consider replaying immediately.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

This sounds like it's everything I was hoping Symphony of War would be, as I've been waiting for a MotBQ clone for years. I wish it wasn't console exclusive. :sad:
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Acrux wrote: March 24th, 2024, 03:43
This sounds like it's everything I was hoping Symphony of War would be, as I've been waiting for a MotBQ clone for years. I wish it wasn't console exclusive. :sad:
If you're willing to emulate it on PC, it runs great on Ryujinx.
Statesman

Post by Statesman »

This game looks like everything I've wanted out of FE+Ogre Battle. Just needs a better story and more creative maps. Hope Vanillaware eventually do a UO2 with more RPG choices/customization and increased difficulty.
Rand

Post by Rand »

What is it with the orientals and doing this to every woman's stance?

Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Rand wrote: April 9th, 2024, 05:16
What is it with the orientals and doing this to every woman's stance?

It's a somewhat common way for Japanese women to walk/stand. They think it's cute.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I'm halfway through, but this game is fantastic and probably my GOTY thia year. It's all I ever wanted from an Ogre Battle successor, they made things more complex and introduced the gambit system from FFXII.

It has some localization issues by being tpp flowery, but 8-4 was always known for that.
Last edited by Capybara on April 21st, 2024, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Faceless_Sentinel

Post by Faceless_Sentinel »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 18th, 2024, 03:28
!!! GAMER WARNING !!! This game has been localized by a Jew.
According to his Twitter profile, it looks like the game pozzed. Thank for the warning!