We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Gothic 1 (?) Thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Apparently all of those new additions were also added into pc version of the game as a free update. I hope this patch is optional though.

The game is also currently at 68% off.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

There's a changelog but it's pretty long so here's a summary of the video
Gothic 1 Returns on Nintendo Switch with Major Updates

The video announces the long-awaited comeback of the classic RPG Gothic 1, now revamped for the Nintendo Switch. Here's a rundown of the key updates:
  • User Interface: The UI has been modernized with better texture quality and readability. The iconic font from the original game has been retained.
  • Inventory System: A complete overhaul has been done, replacing the single-column layout with a more intuitive and categorized system, similar to Gothic 2.
  • Magic Tab: There's a new dedicated tab for magic, making spellcasting more convenient. Spells can now be assigned to a single button.
  • Hotbar Menu: A new hotbar allows for quick access to potions, torches, and other frequently used items via the D-pad.
  • Quick Save/Load: Quick saving and loading features have been added.
  • World Navigation: All game maps are easily accessible from a dedicated menu.
  • Controls: While the game was originally designed for keyboard and mouse, a new control scheme has been built for the Switch.
  • Motion Controls: The game supports Joy-Con motion controls for added immersion.
  • PC Version: These updates will also roll out for the PC version, albeit without motion controls.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

neat.

will probably play Gothic for the first time now on Yuzu.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I can't imagine Gothic 1 without the traditional combat. I don't even want to know what they did to make it work on a gamepad.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Community manager has been revealed to be full of shit.
Most changes seen on Switch build NEVER coming to the PC version as the devs indicate that changing the engine in such a way would "break most if not all of the mods".
junior

Post by junior »

I image it will play pretty well on a console since it is a keyboard only action-adventure game.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I hate using a mouse. If I can't play it on a keyboard, It better hook me in the first ten minutes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

There's no way Gothic wasn't designed to be played with a gamepad. If someone could find an interview with the devs claiming otherwise, I'd change my opinion, but until then Gothic is a gamepad game.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Gothic is the only action RPG I can think of that you can play one handed
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I wish more RPGs had the same feeling as Gothic in that it encourages you to — I don't want to say `break the game` but I can't think of a better term. You simultaneously feel like you can do things you're not supposed to, but the devs clearly encourage you doing so. Was it intentional? Maybe not, maybe it was all coincidental.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Every game should be made to be played on a number pad. If it can't I'm not playing.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

Maybe I'm just retarded (I definitely am) but I never played Gothic until like a year or two ago, something like that, I forgot, but the point is I had a real blast doing it. Great, wholesome, awesome game. AO thought I was a fag for immediately siding with the Old Camp and well okay - that's his opinion right, and probably justified - but Diego was with them dudes and man I even liked those chaps too, cool crew for the most part. Really good feeling to finally beat up that bully who kicked my ass in the intro as well. You know the game so yeah, I got fucked over, ended up killing my old bros in an epic revenge rampage through town by sneaking in using the trans-morph to stinky rat scroll or whatever it's called. Some of the late game areas were really cool too and reminded me of the Lost City in Thief. I don't know what my point was here kinda drunk but still able to type so yeah, I liked it. If someone didn't play it yet you should.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

GhostCow wrote: September 29th, 2023, 03:29
I can't imagine Gothic 1 without the traditional combat. I don't even want to know what they did to make it work on a gamepad.
Why would it be difficult? Gothic is a keyboard-only game and a keyboard is just a controller with more buttons.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

aweigh wrote: September 29th, 2023, 18:03
Why would it be difficult? Gothic is a keyboard-only game and a keyboard is just a controller with more buttons.
I didn't say it would be difficult. I just expect it to completely change the feel of the combat. Like playing Diablo on PC vs ps1
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

GhostCow wrote: September 29th, 2023, 18:12
aweigh wrote: September 29th, 2023, 18:03
I didn't say it would be difficult. I just expect it to completely change the feel of the combat. Like playing Diablo on PC vs ps1
Incidentally, Diablo games turned out to play a lot better on console than on PC.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9gn4wa5x8t87qyf/Gothic_Alpha_0.56c_%26_0.64b.zip/file
Original source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ry524ucI

Of course there's some drama going on too!: https://jpg.fishing/a/ruskipajac.UnrXP/ ... asc&page=1
tl;dr some people paid 2000€ for CDs with these and promised not to share it with anyone. They didn't, and were making youtube videos about them. But the versions were released anyway and they are butthurt they wasted 2000€.

Last edited by Konjad on December 10th, 2023, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

that's what I always wanted, classics butchered and modified by modern retarded devs
Rand

Post by Rand »

Konjad wrote: December 10th, 2023, 15:08
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9gn4wa5x8t87qyf/Gothic_Alpha_0.56c_%26_0.64b.zip/file
Original source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ry524ucI

Of course there's some drama going on too!: https://jpg.fishing/a/ruskipajac.UnrXP/ ... asc&page=1
tl;dr some people paid 2000€ for CDs with these and promised not to share it with anyone. They didn't, and were making youtube videos about them. But the versions were released anyway and they are butthurt they wasted 2000€.

These people, all of them, are absolutely mental.
Showing a public video is a "crime"?
Paying 2000 euro for an alpha build?

by the way, that YouTube link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ry524ucI):
Last edited by Rand on December 10th, 2023, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Rand wrote: December 10th, 2023, 16:27
These people, all of them, are absolutely mental.
Showing a public video is a "crime"?
Paying 2000 euro for an alpha build?
Slavs gonna slav

Post by 1998 »

Another exciting update for the G1 remake

General Update - Fire Lizard Sneakpeek!

As you explore the sandy shores of Myrtana, watch out! Here, besides the usual lizards, you might run into fire lizards as well! Their crests glow with a red-bloody color, and their mouths spew terrible flames! These creatures are really risky! Even orcs avoid them, and not for no reason! After all, one of the ingredients for Ulu-Mulu is their tongue!

Be careful when encountering these fire beasts in the Orc lands and on the beach near the mysterious Fog Tower. For your own safety, don't forget to wear some kind of artifact that will protect you from the scorching flames! That way, dealing with them will be much easier. Otherwise, it's not just a HOT battle waiting for you, but a battle with the burning smell...
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

Unreal Gothic is now on Steam, it's a Gothic remake in Unreal engine.

You can activate it with 'TheColonyisNotUnreal' code in Library -> Gothic 1 Classic -> Properties -> Betas

Doesn't work with Polish version, but does with English.

Here are some screenshots I've made:

gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Konjad wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:36
How complete/playable is this version?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Any reason to prefer it over OpenGothic, which seems to be much more faithful in its recreation?
https://github.com/Try/OpenGothic

Konjad

Post by Konjad »

gerey wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:38
Konjad wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 17:36
How complete/playable is this version?
It's playable but rough around the edges, combat especially seems to need to be finished yet, and the English version has Russian here and there. Overall, I'd wait if you actually want to do a playthrough.

To be honest I'm not really sure why would I play it instead of the original with DX11. Looks about the same, plays worse.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

I will now replay the original, no gay remakes.