We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

RPGs with mermaids/other water-aligned characters

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
AliciaDurge

RPGs with mermaids/other water-aligned characters

Post by AliciaDurge »

Do you guys know any good RPG games where you can play as a mermaid or other water-aligned character? I've been looking for one, but there hasn't been much options.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

AliciaDurge wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 13:39
Do you guys know any good RPG games where you can play as a mermaid or other water-aligned character? I've been looking for one, but there hasn't been much options.
Subnautica.

Depending on how narrowly you want to define an RPG, it could technically be one. Also, you spend 90% of your time in the water, so that sounds pretty water-aligned to me.

:goldfish:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Experience the ultimate power fantasy as the apex predator of the seas - a terrifying SHARK! Maneater is a single player, open world action RPG (ShaRkPG) where YOU are the shark.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Cthulhu Saves the World. Great game too. The battle music was my ringtone for years
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

TKVNC wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 14:15
Subnautica.

Depending on how narrowly you want to define an RPG, it could technically be one. Also, you spend 90% of your time in the water, so that sounds pretty water-aligned to me.

:goldfish:
Nice ^^
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

coincidentally one of my favorite SNES games from back in my youth. still worth a play, the gameplay is repetitive but it's still fun.

Last edited by aweigh on March 22nd, 2024, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

aweigh wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 15:40
coincidentally one of my favorite SNES games from back in my youth. still worth a play, the gameplay is repetitive but it's still fun.

Nice, thanks!
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Also in EVO there's a secret mermaid form you can unlock. I only post again to mention it because i noticed it's not present in the longplay video i posted, but you can go full mermaid.
Last edited by aweigh on March 22nd, 2024, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

aweigh wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 15:46
Also in EVO there's a secret mermaid form you can unlock. I only post again to mention it because i noticed it's not present in the longplay video i posted, but you can go full mermaid.
Cool. ^^
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Almost any of the Elder Scrolls game. You can play as an Argonian. Morrowind and Skyrim especially have a lot of water areas you can just lose yourself in.

I'm pretty sure all of the Age of Wonders games have a Water Circle, where you could play something like Nimue and command water creatures and such.

And, lastly, Septerra Core has a female protagonist, and you could choose to only use Water spells and/or summon Sedna and Pilitak the whole game. That one is a stretch, though.
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

The_Mask wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 16:16
Almost any of the Elder Scrolls game. You can play as an Argonian. Morrowind and Skyrim especially have a lot of water areas you can just lose yourself in.

I'm pretty sure all of the Age of Wonders games have a Water Circle, where you could play something like Nimue and command water creatures and such.

And, lastly, Septerra Core has a female protagonist, and you could choose to only use Water spells and/or summon Sedna and Pilitak the whole game. That one is a stretch, though.
Thanks. ^^
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Perfect World International (Chinese WoW clone) had an expansion that introduced a playable mermaid race (they can transition between mermaid form in water and human form with legs on land) and they had an underwater kingdom, which was pretty cool. There was also an angel race that could sprout wings and fly too.

The World of Warcraft private server, Ascension, allows you to mix and match spells and talents from any class, and also introduces a bunch of new abilities with its enchant system. You could make a custom water themed user by picking from the mage and shaman lines and using custom enchants for more water stuff.

Guild Wars 2 has the Elementalist class. Their unique class mechanic is that they can press F4 to rotate their Element, which changes the abilities they have access to. Fire/Earth/Water/Air. Note that ice is also lumped with the water abilities. However, with the way Elementalist is designed, you're incentivized to be rotating between at least two elements rather than always camping in just one. This might have changed since I last played. GW2 also has underwater areas and combat in the vanilla zones.

Some JRPGs like Romancing Saga 2, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy XI and XII, Suikoden (you can obtain the True Rune of Water in 3), Trails, etc, let you build characters around using water spells, though often other elements are better for dealing damage.

Final Fantasy X's protagonist, Tidus, wields a sword made of water and there are some underwater encounters. FFX has a heavy water theming.

One of the playable subraces in Final Fantasy XIV, the Raen Au Ra, are mermaid adjacent beings themed after the Japanese legend of a Dragon King's underwater kingdom and his daughter. They also have an underwater kingdom but you don't reach it until the second expansion. Sadly there are no water themed classes you can play as.

Gacha games like Granblue Fantasy and Genshin Impact often divide their characters into elements, of which water is an element, and some of those water aligned characters have strong water ability flavoring.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on March 22nd, 2024, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 19:55
Perfect World International (Chinese WoW clone) had an expansion that introduced a playable mermaid race (they can transition between mermaid form in water and human form with legs on land) and they had an underwater kingdom, which was pretty cool. There was also an angel race that could sprout wings and fly too.
This sounds really cool but I hate WoW and do not trust the chinese :sad:
AliciaDurge

Post by AliciaDurge »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 19:55

The World of Warcraft private server, Ascension, allows you to mix and match spells and talents from any class, and also introduces a bunch of new abilities with its enchant system. You could make a custom water themed user by picking from the mage and shaman lines and using custom enchants for more water stuff.

Guild Wars 2 has the Elementalist class. Their unique class mechanic is that they can press F4 to rotate their Element, which changes the abilities they have access to. Fire/Earth/Water/Air. Note that ice is also lumped with the water abilities. However, with the way Elementalist is designed, you're incentivized to be rotating between at least two elements rather than always camping in just one. This might have changed since I last played. GW2 also has underwater areas and combat in the vanilla zones.

Some JRPGs like Romancing Saga 2, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy XI and XII, Suikoden (you can obtain the True Rune of Water in 3), Trails, etc, let you build characters around using water spells, though often other elements are better for dealing damage.

Final Fantasy X's protagonist, Tidus, wields a sword made of water and there are some underwater encounters. FFX has a heavy water theming.

One of the playable subraces in Final Fantasy XIV, the Raen Au Ra, are mermaid adjacent beings themed after the Japanese legend of a Dragon King's underwater kingdom and his daughter. They also have an underwater kingdom but you don't reach it until the second expansion. Sadly there are no water themed classes you can play as.

Gacha games like Granblue Fantasy and Genshin Impact often divide their characters into elements, of which water is an element, and some of those water aligned characters have strong water ability flavoring.
Thanks a lot!