We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Path of Exile 2

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Path of Exile 2

Post by Dead »

Are you excited for Path of Exile 2, the future of ARPGs?
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

nope. who are they kidding with that trailer framing it like its gonna be some survival horror isometric shooter, which might be cool, when everyone knows its just diablo 2 but with more shit and youll be endlessly running around AoE spamming against 10000 mobs watching number go up with rainbow colors
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

Path of Excrement 1 is the best advertisement for Diablo II.
Decline

Post by Decline »

PoE is good for what it is. PoE II will be even more so.
Excitement? No. But I am probably going to play it until it becomes boring (2-4 weeks).
Last edited by Decline on November 25th, 2023, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

The devs said PoE2 will be slower than the first game. Hopefully that means significantly less zooming around blowing up the whole screen and more deliberate combat, though I doubt they will make such a huge change from the first game.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Dead wrote: November 26th, 2023, 14:40
The devs said PoE2 will be slower than the first game. Hopefully that means significantly less zooming around blowing up the whole screen and more deliberate combat, though I doubt they will make such a huge change from the first game.
So they want to remove the fun from the game. Interesting concept.

A more deliberate combat would require an entirely different game.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

Decline wrote: November 26th, 2023, 16:48

I guess we'll see. Developers today are pretty good at ruining what works.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Decline wrote: November 26th, 2023, 16:48

If I remember correctly, the first game was also significantly slower at launch than it is now. It became increasingly spastic as the devs continued to add more things to the game.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

The new Steam page of the Diablo 4 killer
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

WOW, I remember reading about this thing YEARS ago and thinking its release was just around the corner. It's a fucking reskin of the same fucking game, how long can these motherfuckers fucking need? Smh, they are probably milking PoE for all it's still worth.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

It's not a reskin. This one has dodge-rolling.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Dead wrote: November 30th, 2023, 12:39
The new Steam page of the Diablo 4 killer
Take 37 years to update some textures
can't even be bothered to pull the camera out of the character's ass
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

rusty_shackleford wrote: November 30th, 2023, 13:13
can't even be bothered to pull the camera out of the character's ass
What are you referring to?
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Will have gender locked classes?
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

I'm sold.
Some pretty major mechanical changes in 2
Spirit: A new resource called Spirit is added in addition to Life and Mana. Spirit is used to reserve skills with persistent effects like buffs and auras, upkeep permanent minions, and enable trigger meta gems. Spirit can be increased through story boss rewards, modifiers, and sceptres.
Crowd control: Crowd control effects like freeze, stun, immobilize, and electrocute now "build up" if not immediately applied, allowing them to affect bosses at a certain threshold. Bosses become resistant to crowd control for a period after it wears off.
Miscellaneous:
  • Projectiles are affected by gravity. Projectiles lose vertical height as they travel further, reducing off-screening from projectiles
  • Conversion now only scales by the final damage type, and does not remember converted damage types. (e.g. 100% Physical to Cold no longer scales with Physical).
  • Charges do not grant inherent bonuses and instead are used to empower skills which spend them. Skills that spend charges cannot grant charges.
  • There is a 2.5 second cast time for opening portals mid-combat. Taking damage during the cast time will interrupt it. Entering a portal during a boss fight won't reset their life.
  • Support for optional WASD movement.
  • Crossplay between PC and console versions.
The underlined changes I think clearly point to the game being slower and more deliberate than the first one. It's pretty obvious why they went down this route, and it has nothing to do with the first game being too fast.
► Show Spoiler
Usually I'd be the first motherfucker to autistically seethe at console casualization, but idk, might not work out so bad for PoE2 which is starting to look like the middle ground between the first game and Diablo 4. Either that or I'm becoming more of a casual as I age.
Socket number: Skill gems now drop with a variable amount of sockets, up to 5 (for a 6-linked skill). Skill gems have at minimum 2 sockets, and can be upgraded to 3, 4, or 5 sockets deterministically with three tiers of Jeweller's Orbs.
This however is my favorite change. Lukaszek was right, deterministic system > RNG.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Sweeper on December 8th, 2023, 08:43, edited 3 times in total.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Sweeper wrote: December 8th, 2023, 08:19
Usually I'd be the first motherfucker to autistically seethe at console casualization, but idk, might not work out so bad for PoE2 which is starting to look like the middle ground between the first game and Diablo 4. Either that or I'm becoming more of a casual as I age.
Honestly POE2 would be one of the games that would matter least having console crossplay, you wouldnt really need to change that much to make it more casual anyways. It's not going to change your cast on hit cyclone build whether you are pressing MB1 or X to use cyclone, and even the more complicated builds basically play themselves, or at least don't use more keys than a controller has available. Mostly it would be a nice breath of fresh air to have normal people filter into chat from the console demographic so maybe people could spend time talking about anything but femboys for once in global.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

A Chinese opium den wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:10
Honestly POE2 would be one of the games that would matter least having console crossplay, you wouldnt really need to change that much to make it more casual anyways. It's not going to change your cast on hit cyclone build whether you are pressing MB1 or X to use cyclone, and even the more complicated builds basically play themselves, or at least don't use more keys than a controller has available. Mostly it would be a nice breath of fresh air to have normal people filter into chat from the console demographic so maybe people could spend time talking about anything but femboys for once in global.
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░░░░░░░░░░
░▌▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░▌░░░░▄███████▄░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐███████████▄░░░
░░░░░le░░░░░░░▐░░░░▐█████████████▄
░░░░toucan░░░░░░▀▄░░░▐█████████████▄
░░░░░░has░░░░░░░░▀▄▄███████████████
░░░░░arrived░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀██████░░
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Nah, PoE is like 5 years past a debloating of its countless features. The game has been consistently patched for the last decade or so and EVERY TIME they bring a little something extra, which might have been good at the time, but the systems added are rarely taken out. Power creep over the years is also a noticeable issue, so if the devs are willing to trim down the countless systems working over each other AND roll back the power levels so that it takes longer for the game to become a spazz fest, then I'm interested in giving PoE 2 a try.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

WASD movement sounds cool but I wonder how it will affect skill selection and other things that require keyboard buttons
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

I never do endgame content in arpg's anymore so I just hope the campaign acts and pacing are decent.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Crossplay between PC and console versions.
Steam Deckers will reign supreme, the ultimate fusion of the PC master race and the stinking console peasant forming the Gigachad Race.

I don't think your theory is true however, you can already xplay PoE I.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

Eyestabber wrote: December 8th, 2023, 12:58
Nah, PoE is like 5 years past a debloating of its countless features. The game has been consistently patched for the last decade or so and EVERY TIME they bring a little something extra, which might have been good at the time, but the systems added are rarely taken out. Power creep over the years is also a noticeable issue, so if the devs are willing to trim down the countless systems working over each other AND roll back the power levels so that it takes longer for the game to become a spazz fest, then I'm interested in giving PoE 2 a try.
It is essentially a rollback in many ways. I'm sure some systems introduced by leagues will remain, but hopefully the majority gets the knife.
As for powercreep, I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but until we do I'm gonna enjoy the game.
Decline wrote: December 8th, 2023, 21:30
I don't think your theory is true however, you can already xplay PoE I.
Yeah, maybe not. But based on the gameplay I've seen it definitely looks slower and more deliberate.
Support gems: Support gems can be socketed into skill and meta gems. Support gems now no longer provide raw more damage modifiers, and instead are purely focused on utility
:smug:
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

In PoE, people ran builds that could zoom through maps and blow up screens in less than a second, because the drops and exp gains were balanced around people running those types of builds. Rather than try to slow the game down once people started running those builds, they endorsed them because they were popular, and gradually shifted the game's balancing around that being the normal way to play the game. And once you go down that route, it's hard to just change your mind on it without running most of your player base off, but hopefully they won't repeat this with PoE2.

We can't say they've slowed the pace down based on early game, low level footage on a build that's using random junk. But I do like some of the changes like optional WASD for movement, and the mercenary video looked pretty good, I would definitely play a build like that.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Roll, shoot, repeat. :sleepy: