We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Capeshit aka American Weebery aka Patriotic Goyslop

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
maidenhaver

Capeshit aka American Weebery aka Patriotic Goyslop

Post by maidenhaver »

There are a few of these jewtube shorts-making channels like Human Spider and Solid jj that satisfy me like funny papers used to.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Capeshit doesn't resonate with me much because it's about defending ugly block cities and a corrupt modern society I don't feel is very worthy. I do like some older superhero movies like the Rocketeer, Superman, Sam Raimi's Spiderman, X-Men, but that's more because they got me invested in the characters rather than what they are supposedly fighting for.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I've always thought the refusal of mainstream superheroes to ever kill anyone is stupid, unrealistic, and morally weak. I'm not saying they should all be The Punisher, but it's pretty absurd to imagine most heroes fighting only to subdue given the deadliness of their powers. There's also the impossibility of prisons being able to even contain the average supervillain, which of course is used on purpose to have the same antagonists recur time and time again. I'd be pretty pissed if I lived in the Marvel or DC world in which society is constantly terrorized by villains whom the heroes refuse to put down permanently.
Last edited by WhiteShark on January 3rd, 2024, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Comic stories suck now because most of the characters have been more than run through every possibly interesting story they could be taken to and now all you're left with is ideologically poisoned brainlets who want to "subvert" everything.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I liked Super Friends and the X-Men. Going too far with their stories though was a mistake, its like giving the Philly Fanatic a heroic journey of personal discovery. Super heroes were at their best finding clues and stopping trains derailing.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

They didn't kill anyone because they were for children.
The worst thing to happen to comics was adult-children taking them away from children.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 21:54
The worst thing to happen to comics was adult-children taking them away from children.
Children don't have to be shielded from death and killing. By the time you can read on your own you'll be reading stuff that has both anyway.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 21:56
Children don't have to be shielded from death and killing. By the time you can read on your own you'll be reading stuff that has both anyway.
They're for 7 year olds, it's why they have pictures and very little words.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 21:57
I could read perfectly well on my own at 7 and I was already familiar with death and killing because they are in, among other things, the Bible.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

But that's the classic Silver Age stuff you're thinking about, there have been plenty of capeslop comics that depict brutal combat since. Especially by non-Marvel and DC entities. Comic books are really just a storytelling medium, they aren't inherently childish or adult-oriented.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:01
I could read perfectly well on my own at 7 and I was already familiar with death and killing because they are in, among other things, the Bible.
Yeah, well, most 7 year olds aren't dorks.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:02
But that's the classic Silver Age stuff you're thinking about, there have been plenty of capeslop comics that depict brutal combat since. Especially by non-Marvel and DC entities. Comic books are really just a storytelling medium, they aren't inherently childish or adult-oriented.
Yes, comics have been shit for a long time. Since about the 80s.
Adult-children have now done the same thing with cartoons btw.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I think it was because news about killing was still spicy and papers didn't want comicbook man to get all the kills.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:02
But western comic sales are at a historic low, and weren't exactly selling by the truckloads for many decades prior. They were niche products for an increasingly niche base of readers. There's only so many times you can read a story about Batman fighting the Joker and saving the day for the 18,000th time. It's the films and other forms of entertainment that carry these brands forward and keep them relevant. In other words, people enjoy the brand and the characters more than the stories being told. Same with Star Wars, as estrogen filled as these things are nowadays there was something that attracted people initially. Nobody really cares about the comic stuff anymore, they honestly just serve as marketing material for the more popular movies.
Last edited by KnightoftheWind on January 3rd, 2024, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

very little words.
Yeah not anymore

► Show Spoiler
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:10
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:02

But western comic sales are at a historic low, and weren't exactly selling by the truckloads for many decades prior. They were niche products for an increasingly niche base of readers. There's only so many times you can read a story about Batman fighting the Joker and saving the day for the 18,000th time. It's the films and other forms of entertainment that carry these brands forward and keep them relevant. In other words, people enjoy the brand and the characters more than the stories being told. Same with Star Wars, as estrogen filled as these things are nowadays there was something that attracted people initially. Nobody really cares about the comic stuff anymore, they honestly just serve as marketing material for the more popular movies.
Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:11
very little words.
Yeah not anymore

► Show Spoiler
Both of these are a direct result of exactly what I've been discussing.
They made an entire market just to sell products to Kevin Smith.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on January 3rd, 2024, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Goblin_Hammer

Post by Goblin_Hammer »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 22:11
very little words.
Yeah not anymore

► Show Spoiler
Saw this earlier and that comic reeks of it.

maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yeah, if your "art" requires an explanation, then it isn't art. If your explanation takes up more real estate than the (((art))), then you didn't even create anything. If you need a degree in bullshit made-up words to have any feeling or thought besides "this is what the inside of your asshole looks like," then your art is lower than vomit and weaker than a baby. This isn't gatekeeping, its just public masturbating, and those who do it and call themselves artists are a joke.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Martin Scorcese wrote:
Marvel movies aren't cinema. They're just theme parks.