We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Roddenberry took offense at the idea that Star Trek was 'jewish'

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roddenberry took offense at the idea that Star Trek was 'jewish'

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Interesting article, never seen it before.
https://jewishjournal.com/commentary/opinion/164916/
As you might imagine, the desk at The Los Angeles Times Magazine didn't have to ask twice if I was interested in a short tour of duty aboard the new ship of the line. And to start things rolling, I was provided an audience with the Great Bird of the Galaxy himself, Eugene Wesley Roddenberry or, as he presented himself while seated in a wheelchair in the expansive office of his palatial Bel-Air home, Gene.

I decided to conclude our wide-ranging interview with an issue that had intrigued me since I began covering Jewish and Israeli affairs. I suggested that there seemed to be something almost uniquely Jewish about the flavor of the Star Trek universe. Roddenberry perked up. “How so?”

“Consider,” I said, drawing upon long practiced Vulcan equanimity. “Earth has chosen a Federation as its greatest organizing entity. The Federation believes in outreach and mutual acceptance and respect as organizing principles. The peripatetic protagonists are tasked with the ongoing mission of wandering the galaxy. The second banana, hired because his unconventional Jewish face suggested alien qualities, used rabbinic gestures to convey salutations, and parsed the wild and wooly universe with the logic-bound aplomb of a Talmudic scholar.”

I left unsaid that performers Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Walter Koenig, as well as producers Robert Justman, Herb Solow and Fred Freiberger and too many writers to name were all fellow tribesmen. Roddenberry, I concluded, must have been a philo-Semite of the first order to surround himself with so many Red Sea pedestrians.

The congenial Roddenberry concluded what I later realized was a slow burn. “You Jews,” he snarled, “have a lamentable habit of identifying those characteristics in a society that you deem positive and then taking credit for inventing them”
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Fascinating.

Well I guess that makes Roddenberry slightly based, but he's still a cuck. And damn, reading the rest of that was painful. Kvetch factor 10.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

i always assumed that Roddenberry was a jew. pretty based.
“Gene was anti-Semitic, clearly,” Nimoy replied as my heart sank. “Roddenberry had Jewish associates; Bill (Shatner) and I were both Jewish, as were others. To be fair, Roddenberry was anti-religion. And apart from being a ethnic-cultural entity, Jews, to him, were a religious group. But I saw examples not only of him practicing anti-Semitism, but of him being callous about other peoples' differences as well.”
lol
In the spring of '93, however, Jewish fans of the series took special umbrage at a group of aliens figuring prominently in the Star Trek series, Deep Space Nine. As originally conceived by Roddenberry, the Ferengi were squat, deformed and venal creatures, lecherous, miserly and greedy, bearing huge, misshapen ear, severely notched noses and, according to Roddenberry's Writers' Bible, prodigious personal packages. The editor of Film Score Monthly, at the time, a student at Amherst College, called the alarm, attesting that “There was no denying the anti-Semitic attributes of the Ferengi.”
imagine being so ugly and greedy and self-obsessed that whenever you see an ugly and greedy and self-obsessed monster you assume it's based on you
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I remember reading the reason Star Trek had so many minorities was because they were simply cheaper to hire, but I have no authoritative source for it. Funny if true.